The Surfing Traditions

❛ If I trust in you

Would you let me down

Would you laugh at me

If I said I care for you

Kenzie and Finnick had had their first fight when they were sixteen years old. Finnick had come home late because he had been with another lover, which had in turn upset Kenzie. He had come in with his hair disheveled, lipstick stains on the back of his neck and then he had tried to pull Kenzie into a hug. She'd quickly dodged his hands and scowled at him.

"What, we haven't seen each other in a month and you won't even hug me?"

Kenzie crossed her arms, "Have you seen the state you're in? No, thank you."

"Why are you so angry all of a sudden?" asked Finnick, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Because you were with another lover."

Finnick tensed. "I beg your pardon?"

"You get around a lot." Kenzie told him bluntly, but she regretted the words as soon as she'd said them.

Finnick glared at her so fiercely that she winced.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." he spat angrily.

Kenzie had never seen Finnick this angry. It honestly scared her to see him like this, not that she was afraid of him. It was more that he was acting so differently from his usual, calm self.

"I'm just trying to look out for you." Mackenzie said quietly, exasperated.

"Then don't. It's none of your business. Why would you anyway?" Finnick scoffed, which only made Kenzie's own anger increase.

"Because I care a great deal about you, you idiot!" she snarled, before realizing what she had said.

They both fell silent and Finnick stared at Kenzie in amazement, causing her to flush.

She stared at the floor, "Go ahead, laugh at me."

Kenzie waited for him to laugh, but instead he took a step forward and lifted her chin with his hand.

"I would never laugh at you, Kenzie." he told her honestly. "Why would you think that?"

Kenzie sighed, "Because I've only known you for a little over a year and I don't know.... It's silly. I get attached to people easily."

Finnick gave her a small smile, "I don't care how long we've known each other. You're part of my family, Kenzie. And I care about you, too."

"I'm sorry for what I said." the female victor exclaimed, looking embarrassed. "I just don't want people to talk badly about you."

Finnick gave her a smile, but she noticed the pain behind his eyes and wondered once again what was going on.

"I don't mind rumors as long as I have you and Mags."

He went to hug her, but she gave him a look, "Go take a shower, Finnick."

He huffed jokingly, "Okay, okay, fine."

Finnick quickly took a shower while Kenzie decided to go surfing. She was standing by the door when Finnick came into the room, freshly showered.

"You're going surfing?"

"Yeah, you want to join me?" Kenzie smiled at him.

Finnick grinned back, "Of course, I still need my hug."

She chuckled and he grabbed a surfboard before the duo headed to the beach.

After they had been surfing for a while and after Finnick had gotten his hug, Kenzie decided to risk their peace by asking the question that had been on her mind all day.

"Why are you doing it?" asked Kenzie and she could see that he knew what she meant.

Finnick turned away and she was convinced he wasn't going to answer when he told her in a calm voice, "Maybe I'll tell you another day."

She left it at that, wanting to respect his wishes.

Instead of prying, she simply said, "I trust you. I know you'll tell me when you're ready."

He grinned at her and then teased her, telling her he could surf better than she could. They had surfed every morning since then, competing against each other. They were both talented and even though Kenzie always said she was better no one could tell who really was.