Ch.1: Always and Forever

About a month after Klaus had left Mystic Falls behind, Caroline had decided that she also needed a change in scenery. She couldn't seem to get out of her head, Klaus' departing words. That a small town wouldn't always be enough for her, but he had wanted to invite her to stay with him, even though he knew she wasn't ready. Maybe she felt obligated or a pull, or maybe she even realized that she wanted to actually see the world. She didn't know what it was that made her leave the only town she ever knew, as well as her friends, but she packed and headed out of town. She'd never been one to act without giving it much thought, much less suddenly pack and move completely, but it was as if something was telling her that she was ready or that she needed to follow him to this city that he seemed to enjoy so much. He'd even left her a voicemail at one point. It had told her that he couldn't stop thinking about her. That he wanted so much to show her the city that he loved so much. Now, that's exactly where she was headed. Her only problem was not exactly knowing where she should be going to find him in that city. She knew from the history she'd sat through in high school how big of a city New Orleans was. She didn't want to call him though to find out, because she wanted this to be a surprise to him. Little did she know though, that she was entering at a very wrong and dangerous time.

Meanwhile, as Caroline was continuing to head to New Orleans to surprise Klaus who had become her favorite Original over the years, Klaus had just angered Marcel. Klaus had chosen the three closest vampires behind him and had ripped out their hearts to show Marcel who had the power. And, considering one of his rules was no killing vampires, he'd broken one of his rules. The downfall was that, as far as Marcel knew, he couldn't be killed. And if he was to sentence him to The Garden for punishment for such a thing, Klaus would be difficult to take down.

After Klaus had shown his power over Marcel, he'd given him a smile, before leaving the pub. Unknown to him, he was making himself an enemy at the most wrong time that he could, because the one person he would probably always love was on her way to New Orleans.