Chapter 19

Y/n was brutally tossed into a jail cell, landing harshly on her stomach and using her hands to steady her fall, which only hurt her wrists. She coughed from inhaling the dirt on the ground, shaking her head clear of the pain that sprouted when she fell to the hard stone floor. She heard mice scuttling away from her, squeaking out in fear as she groaned and lifted herself from the floor. Her dagger had been taken, as had her cloak, and she stood up to grip the bars of the jail cell door as the guard on watch locked her in.

"When I get out, you'll be the first to taste the silver of my blade," she hissed at the foul guard who tossed her in, spitting down at his shoes. She watched as behind the guard, Jaskier was tossed into his own jail cell, letting out a grunt and a few exclamations of pain as he cursed the guards off in a wheezing tone, regaining his breath. "As will you, you cockless, fool-born maggot."

The guard who just had Jaskier turned and smirked, coming up to the cage the bird was trapped in. Jaskier quickly stood, watching from his own cell with distress in his eyes as the guard stopped just short of her arm reach. He looked her over for a moment, before cackling loudly with the foul one, her glower deepening as they mocked her. The foul one took her familiar dagger from his belt, and she stood up straighter at the sight of it. "You mean this silver?" he said with a laugh. "A lowly little woman like you carryin' around a dangerous knife like this. Ya could've cut yourself. Hows about I show you how a man uses his blade?" he said, and the innuendo of his words made her stomach roil.

Jaskier hit his fist against the iron of the cell bars, catching their attention with his angered breaths. "Fuck off, you son of a whore," he snarled at them, and the low, angry tone of voice was so different from his usual tone of jest it made Y/n shake her head to get him to stop as the guards laughed once again.

The foul one gave Jaskier a mocking look of contrition, before his eyes hardened and he said, "When I come back, bard, you'll get to sit here and watch as I take your little harlot for meself and show her wha' a real man looks like from below." Jaskier tried to reach through the bars, but the guards were already walking out of the room before he could, leaving the two alone as the watchman left to get a drink.

"Fuck. Fuck!" Jaskier exclaimed, and Y/n leaned her head against the cool iron. "This wasn't supposed to happen."

"Jaskier, I'll be all right. If worse comes to worse I'll..." she started, and let out a sigh as Jaskier approached the bars to look at her again. "I'll sing and keep him off me. He should be easy to succumb to the spell fast."

"But I wish you didn't have to," Jaskier spoke with that same love in his voice as always. "Gods, we should've just left Yennefer well enough alone! She can handle herself on her own devices. We wouldn't be in here if we had!"

"Jaskier, come on," Y/n started with a shake of her head, closing her eyes and leaning against the cell door. "I know you wouldn't leave anyone seeking help, even if it was Yennefer."

"Apparently, she didn't need it," Jaskier grumbled, and let out a sigh. "What was that thing she said before disappearing into thin air? Something... um... Something about a forest? Some sort of mother?"

"I don't know. I've never heard those words before," Y/n said, and played with the end of her hair. "Whatever it is, Yennefer was able to get herself out of her bonds and out of Oxenfurt without creating a portal."

"You think you could pull that?"

Y/n chuckled a little bit, looking over at Jaskier and saying, "I'm no mage, Jask. Just a simple siren."

"There is nothing simple about you, sweet bird," Jaskier flirted, and she let out another laugh at his antics. "Worry not, I'll sing some sort of sweet ballad myself for our time here. I've already got a few choice words in mind for the whoreson of a watch guard."