23 | Waving a Red Flag

"Sometimes, you have to get angry to get things done." - Ang Lee

Chapter Twenty-Three

"I... Uh..." Ethan stumbled on his words, unable to form coherent sentences. I watched him carefully, still trying to figure out whether or not I had the wrong idea about him.

"Save your breath Ethan. I know the truth."

I crossed my arms in front of my chest-an action that spoke a thousand words. It wasn't hard for me to give off an assertive vibe, but I often kept it under wrap. I had been called stuck-up and cold-blooded for so long by others, by my colleagues, that I had almost become aloof and isolated. However, it was a blessing in disguise. If I had been a warm, genial person, others would've either taken advantage of me or would've expected me to be an open book and if there is something which I am not, it was being readable.

Nevertheless, at this moment, as I faced Ethan, there was no better time for me to assert my dominance and besides, no one ever told the truth to a nice, warm-hearted, person. If that had been the case, there would be no need for police or for torture techniques.

I hid my smile as I noticed Ethan analyzing my body language. He was smart, I had to give him that, but a little slow.

August, also known as Dr. Hemsworth, came out of the Evaluation Room and gave me a curt nod and a file. It was a sign, a signal of sorts and it meant that I was on the right track.

"I don't understand what you're talking about," Ethan said, putting himself in a defensive position.

He wasn't the only one who could read body language and as far as my knowledge went, he seemed to want to put up a fight. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't aware that I was a veteran in these kinds of fights.

I pretended to look through the file, keeping its contents out of sight for him, which contained, in reality, blank pieces of paper. Ethan's body was still producing massive amounts of sweat.

"Oh cut the act. These results," I waved the closed file in front of his face, "show that you lied throughout most of the exam."

His face was priceless. It was as if I had just informed him that two plus two was actually twenty.

"That's not possible," he said, his eyes downcast, his hands trembling.

Watching his reaction brought back my own memories.

I paced around the hospital bed, thinking, arguing with myself. This can't be happening. Not now, not ever. This was simply not possible.

Perhaps it was my own blackened past that caused me to sympathize with him or maybe I was just tired of being called a cold-blooded animal, but either way, I felt my arm move.

I put my hand on his shoulder. A move that was supposed to ignite warmth and passion in my heart and comfort in his, but instead, I felt empty. Like an empty vessel which once held light and happiness, I felt barren and cold. But the gesture seemed to work miracles on him.

His hands continued to tremble, but his shoulder relaxed under my touch. He was giving up the fight. Once again, he made a wise decision.

"You can tell me," I said. Hearing my words flow out and caress Ethan's heart, I was surprised by the tender emotion in my voice. Was I finally beginning to feel emotions? No, the black abyss were my heart was supposed to be said otherwise.

"I was attacked when I was younger," he said, his voice raw with mixed emotions, his face contorted in pain and remembrance.

My phone buzzed in my back pocket, but I left it there.