49 | Code: Cracked.

"Your inner strength is your outer foundation" ― Allan Rufus

Chapter Forty-Nine

"What a surprise?" I said, monotonously, my expressions bland and my eyes guarded.

"You're no longer acting like you belong in the mental institution. What made you change your mind? Did the I'm-going-to-act-insane-so-that-I-can-escape plan not work out the way you expected?"

I was pushing his buttons, perhaps a tad too far, but if I wanted to get some useful information out of him, I had to cross the limits until they were no longer in sight.

He barely flinched. He sat in the interrogation room, transferred there from the psychiatric ward upon my demand, with his hands intertwined on the table, his lips firmly pressed into a straight white line.

He was angry--at what? I didn't know--but it was my goal to make him angrier. If that was possible. I simply didn't know how Blaze would react in a given situation. He was an unpredictable tornado that left destruction and death in its wake.

"Haha," he said, dryly, his eyes trying to shoot lasers at me. "Very funny, but if you simply must know...if I really wanted to escape, I would've done so already."

I crossed my arms in front of my chest, giving him the best skeptical look I could muster.

Despite the seriousness of the situation and the stakes on the line, I couldn't help but feed the need to laugh. Ever since the talk with Agent Beta, I felt freer, happier even. It was strange how one conversation could suddenly change my entire perspective on life, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

I was happy, simple as that, and, since that was a rarity, I was going to leave things be and hope that they forever remained this way.

"I don't think so, Blaze. I think you like the prison cells here better than your house. And if you really could escape whenever the hell you pleased, I don't think you'd be sitting here with handcuffs on and a morose expression."

"How do you know that this isn't all part of my plan? I could simply be acting obedient."

I smirked. "Oh, I already know, Blaze. I've already figured out that everything thing you do--no matter how small or arbitrary--is part of a grander plan, so don't count on me to fall for your act."

His eyes watched me, calculations visible from a mile away. It was funny how much he reminded me of Agent Hook in that moment.

After observing me for a few seconds--or minutes, I couldn't have cared less--he opened his mouth to say something, but I beat him to it. It was a part of my plan, really. To irritate him until he blew up.

"And while we are on this topic, let's cut to the chase and talk about what you've been planning lately."

"And what would that be?" He asked me, with a haughty look in his eyes, looking smug.

With a smile on my lips, my eyes glinting with mischief, I said, "I know you kidnapped Liz."

He scoffed, then. "While it's flattering that you think I'm capable of doing something as clever as that while I'm here, locked within four walls, and stuck in these," he raised his hand-cuffed wrists, "Even I'm not as talented as that."

"Did Blaze, THE BLAZE, just say he was incapable of doing something? I never thought I'd live to see the day."

He gave me a flat look. All I wanted to do was break out into laughter, but I didn't think that was the best decision given the circumstances.