32 | Ex-FBI Agent

"When one person makes an accusation, check to be sure he himself is not the guilty one. Sometimes it is those whose case is weak who make the most clamor." - Piers Anthony

Chapter Thirty-Two

"Angie, you need to come to the headquarters right now," Agent Beta said.

Police sirens were blaring in the background, adding more panic and turmoil to her frantic voice.

I pushed the two cabinets back under my bed. "What's wrong?"

Agent Beta cursed as the sound of a picture frame shattering onto the floor came loud and clear through the phone.

"This is not the time for questions, Angie. You need to come. NOW."

I glanced at the clock in my living room.

"It's six in the morning, Beta. The headquarters don't even open until seven."

The police sirens faded, more likely than not receding from the vicinity, but Agent Beta continued cursing under her breath.

"Ah! Damn it. Stupid glass," she said, seemingly forgetting that I was still on the line.

I picked up my handbag off the ground and stuffed the scattered files inside of it, while simultaneously balancing the phone on my ear by twisting my neck. "Look, I'm leaving my house now, but you have to tell me what's wrong."

"A few agents, myself included, come earlier to train or to work on pending cases. But today, we had an unexpected emergency and it involves you."

I locked my apartment and began descending the stairs to the lobby. "What's the emergency? And how can I come quickly? You know I can't drive yet."

"Don't worry about transportation. Agent Moon should be waiting outside your building for you as we speak," she said.

"This must be the end of the world or something, if he is voluntarily driving. Can you please tell me what the big deal is?"

Agent Beta sighed. "Okay, look, Angie. I didn't want to tell you this, because I know you're going to panic and won't be able to think logically, but if you must know, then promise me you won't take matters into your own hands."

Agent Moon's black Sedan was double-parked across from my building. Although the weather was still relatively humid, he had all of his windows rolled up. No doubt, he was trying to avoid contact.

He was a peculiar man. I didn't like to judge because we all had a fear or dislike that was a little out of the ordinary, but I could not wrap my head around him.

He had a driver's license since the age of eighteen and was a decent driver, but he hated driving on the streets of New York City. Any other place he was completely fine, but the congested streets and the heavy traffic were the equivalent of a waking nightmare to him.

The driver's side window rolled down a few inches to reveal Agent Moon's face, his black glasses hiding his chocolate covered eyes. I waved at him.

"I promise," I said, not really giving the circumstances much of a thought.

My mind was still half paralyzed, trying to block out the noises and the flashes, while the other half was trying to build back my defensive wall.

"Scarface, the ex-criminal you went after two days ago, was found dead on the highway, ten minutes away from the city, and witnesses are pointing the finger at you."

I froze in my tracks.

"What in the world–"

"And that's not all. I know that you're innocent and that you didn't kill him, but all signs and witnesses are pointing towards you, and I don't know for sure yet, but there are rumors that Agent Matthew might be taking you off of the Irwin High case for good."