Chapter 19: Decision (2)

During our stay in the darkness, there was a singular light source hanging above us that stung the eyes when looked at directly, and a buffet-like table.

On such a table held a round tray, and placed daintily inside was a singular fortune cookie, the type that was given out as freebies at M*ndarin, and an iconic snack of theirs.

Just by looking at one of those fortune cookies wrapped in its pink-patterned transparent plastic, I could recall what texture they had on my tongue, once upon a time.

So what was this fortune cookie doing here? It was so incongruent with all the deaths happening outside its reaches that the others looked at the object in a daze.

I was sure they had the same information as I that this was a normal occurrence in this scenario, but seeing it with their own eyes renewed a sensation of puzzlement.

"Alright, I guess I'm up." Sighed Christina, who walked up to the tray and picked up the fortune cookie, unraveling it in one crisp motion which I suspect she must have a rich array of experience with said plastic wraps.

"One carp, two carps, will I be lucky today?" Muttering a strange chant, Christina broke the fortune cookie cleanly in half and plucked out the strip of paper wedged in-between.

[Stigma, Luck lv. 4 has been activated!]

Straightening the bent fortune slip, Christina read out-loud the printed words.

"Eating Challenge: Eat everything on the buffet table in ten minutes. If not, players will be forced to undergo a punishment."

Before our eyes, a myriad of M*ndarin dishes, still piping hot and curling with steam, filled the empty table, the strong aroma of salt, oil, cooked meat, cooked vegetables and sauces assaulting our olfactory.

Ticking above the buffet table was a glowing box of numbers.

[9:59]

A menacing aura rose from Kim Ulguam, even if he kept his gentlemanly features intact. I could feel he was perusing the food like he could swallow it whole. Not that it was an exaggeration.

[Skill, Increased Digestion lv. 3 and Pig Eating lv. 4 is activated!]

...His first impression and the one he carried out when eating made me wonder if I was looking at the same person. It was amazing how the food disappeared with his vivacious actions.

While Kim Ulguam was dishing it out with the food, the other members and I stepped forward to contribute what we could.

"Sunbae, how dare you take that fried fish! It was in my bowl!"

"Just let me have consolation for taking a hit, hoobae,"

Meanwhile, Su Peng was just shoving some rice in his mouth until it puffed up like a chipmunk stuffing nuts and seeds into its pouch.

I popped a green pepper into my mouth with one of the forks provided and crunched it. The spicy kick of pepper smell and natural sweetness mixed well with the sauce.

In fact, eating anything at the moment was a blessing to me.

How long has it been since I last ate any food?

It was an embarrassing moment, but my eyes teared up and I could have cried if not for the presence of others.

Dang it, it tasted so good!

As I continued to savor the food, even if it was unhealthy food, I eventually realized that there was none left on the table.

Christina let out a loud belch that got berated by Jie Kushin, who seemed to bicker with just about anyone, and Kim Ulguam had reinstated his cleanliness by wiping the grease and sauce off his face thoroughly.