Chapter 2: The past 6 years

Callie's POV

Today was my 16th birthday and all I wanted was to be back with my grandparents. They never told me who my real mother and father were but maybe it was for the best. Maybe they were evil people. My grandparents died in a car accident 6 years ago and when no one else would take us in I was placed into foster care. The first home I was in was a good one but I got sent away. Ever since my grandparents have passed I have been angry. There are times when I hit things or yell at people and I always feel bad afterwards but I can't seem to stop it. I have been in 6 foster homes in the past 6 years, each one worse than the next. I was raped in one home by my older foster brother and have been abused in every single home. Right now I am in a horrible foster home. My foster father Pearson is awful. He is a drunk and hits and yells at me every single night. He caught me sneaking food one time and beat the shit out of me. I had to miss school for 2 days because I could barely walk and he didn't want to get in trouble. He always told me he was only doing this for the money. Today was Saturday and I hated that because I had no escape for the next 2 days. It was 9 AM and Pearson was already screaming at me through the basement door. I slept on a sleeping bag with no pillow. I was getting ready to run upstairs when he opened the door and stumble down the stairs. He was drunk. "Didn't I tell you to clean the house? What the hell is wrong with you, you stupid bitch". I took a deep breath and even though I was terrified I never acted like it. Never show intimidation. "I'll clean it when I get the chance you asshole" I yelled back. That was a big mistake. He ran over to me pushing me onto the hard concrete floor. I fell onto my wrist and I knew it was broken. Before I could get up to defend myself he began kicking me in the stomach and head. The beating felt like it lasted an eternity. Finally he stopped and walked away. I felt blood oozing from my head and I knew I needed help. I kept my phone hidden from him and reached under the sleeping bag calling 911. I knew he would kill me for calling 911 but I needed help. I could barely move. I called 911 explaining what had happened and I felt myself losing consciousness. I closed my eyes and was woken up to screaming. "Police get down on your knees now! Now" I heard a woman screaming. I heard footsteps coming down the stair and a woman calling for an ambulance. I felt someone bend down beside me grabbing my hand. "It's ok love stay with us, an ambulance is on the way". She made me feel safe for some reason but I knew to never trust anyone, especially the police. I felt myself get loaded into the ambulance and someone was still holding my hand. I opened my eyes with the little strength I had left and saw the same blonde woman with short hair in the police uniform. "Hey Cal it's ok, you are safe now". How the hell did she know my name? I sighed and closed my eyes, the pain was too much. 

Stef's POV

While working the night shift with Mike we got a call for a domestic violence. We pulled up to the house and saw a man walking around waving a gun. Mike and I snuck through the back door and  I screamed for him to put the gun down. Mike put cuffs on him and took my to the squad car when I went to find the child. I saw a basement door with a lock on and kicked it down. There was a young girl laying on the ground barely conscious with blood running from her head. I ran down the stairs and grabbed onto her hand while calling for an ambulance. I turned her onto her back and moved the hair from her face. It was Callie. Even though Lena's parents didn't allow us to have contact with her they sent us pictures of her every year. She still looked the same as she did when she was 10 years old, just slightly older. She got loaded into the ambulance and was brought to the hospital and I refused to leave her side. We sat in the room for an hour and her wrist was put into a cast. She got 10 staples in her head and her eyes finally opened. She looked around and was confused but when she saw me her eyes softened. "Thanks for helping me, but you can leave now". I gave her a small smile and knew how guarded she was. "You don't have to act tough around me love, I am not going to hurt you, and there's someone I want you to meet". She looked confused and then looked to the person walking into the room. That person was Lena.