The Runaway

Hello, loves!

I am back with a new chapter!

My chapter updates may be a bit slower now because of school and working two jobs, but I will definitely update at least 1 story a week from this one, Sin, Scars, and Kill My Mind, so be on the lookout for that.

WARNING: This chapter contains mentions of abuse, toxic relationships, alcoholism, domestic violence, and parental neglect. Please read carefully and take breaks if needed.

This chapter is heavy on Liam's backstory, so we're getting to all of the reveals and bond-buildings of the original story. Next chapter will also be a minor hint at a later reveal as well as another doorway into Louis' past. So get ready!

I am really enjoying rewriting this story! Let me know what differences you enjoy so far or what you loved the most from the original.

Enjoy!

Chapter 17:

"Wakey, wakey, precious heir."

I opened my eyes with a few blinks, not quite sure when I fell asleep. It was easier with the light turned back on, but I remembered doing my best to fight the urge.

I looked over to where the door stood, and I saw Zayn and Liam standing there with more zip ties in their hands.

"Restroom time," Zayn announced.

I wanted to reject them at every turn and stay in bed, but I realized that I really had to go. Sleeping was a good distraction from common human urges, so was fear, but I hadn't been doing much sleeping recently.

Slowly, I sat up in the rather flimsy bed and allowed Zayn closer to zip tie my hands together. Liam stood by idly, just staring but not saying much or reacting. In fact, he seemed to stare at the place where Zayn was tying up my hands, but his eyes seemed to look beyond that. He was deep in thought, and I wanted to know what he was thinking.

"Come on."

Zayn pulled me up by my secured hands and pushed me along in front of him. Neither he nor Liam said a word to one another or to me as we walked down the hall. If I thought the atmosphere was intense before, I didn't really realize it could become much worse.

The shift in Liam and Zayn's dynamic was off-putting. Zayn would usually follow him around like a little puppy while also tending to his every need. It was as if he always knew what Liam needed and what he was feeling. Not even my own parents were that in tuned with one another. Then again, I hardly saw them in the same room for more than a few minutes at a time.

Now, Zayn was leading me down the hall by my elbow, completely disregarding the fact that Liam was even following along behind us. As for Liam, he was also keeping his distance, choosing to walk a few steps away from Zayn. I wasn't sure if he was afraid to be close to Zayn or if Zayn was purposefully keeping him at a distance to give Liam space and time to think.

We arrived at the restroom, and Liam waited outside while Zayn followed me inside to keep watch on me. It was the same routine as the countless times Louis would accompany me into the restroom, but we didn't conversate. In fact, I just did my business as fast as I could so that I didn't have to stay in the awkward atmosphere that seemed to exist between Zayn and Liam.

Zayn led me out of the restroom where Liam was waiting, and I stumbled in my steps as he turned me to face the opposite way from the room I was staying in. He pushed me along, not allowing me time to gain my footing, and I saw the stairs coming into view. I glanced at Liam behind us, only seeing his gaze trained down to the floor as we walked.