DISASTER OF HEARTS

Yang Meizi arriving inside the Palace she got out of her carriage and ascending the stairs she was joined by Nuwa and a couple of other ladies in waiting.
        "The Budget for the Coronation is already out." Nuwa said.
        "Hmmm." Yang Meizi muttered as she continued her way and Nuwa noticing that she was a little bit zoned out she looked around.
       "What about the expenses?" She asked, "the Emperor trusts that there should be some costs cut." Nuwa muttered.
       "I'll discuss it later with the Empress Dowager." Yang Meizi replied as she made an entry into her Chambers while a couple of her other Ladies in waiting stayed behind.
        "You're not your usual self." Nuwa said and Yang Meizi lowering herself into her seat she moved closer and started massaging her back.
        "Let it be." Yang Meizi replied.
        "What's the problem with you?" Nuwa asked and Yang Meizi looking at her debated whether to tell her or not.
       "Can you hear this?" Yang Meizi asked.
       "Tell me Milady." Nuwa said.
       "The Minister of State." Yang Meizi replied.
       "What's wrong with him?" Nuwa asked.
       "He's not who we think he is." Yang Meizi replied.
       "What do you mean Milady?" Nuwa asked.
       "All this time his guard was the one pretending to be a Prince." Yang Meizi replied.
       "Does that mean that he....?" Nuwa Asked.
       "Yes." Yang Meizi replied, "the son of the woman who murdered our family, the son of the woman who murdered my mother and the nephew to the man who killed Uncle Zhang." She added and Nuwa looked surprised.
       "I mounted his back the last time and had my way, I am not fearful for myself but rather I am fearful for you." Yang Meizi replied.
       "Whether I get implicated or not for Milady everything is worth it." Nuwa said, "besides you serve His Majesty so what right gas he?" She asked.
       "I'd be calm but thinking about Shi Miyuan I'm not at ease." Yang Meizi said, "perhaps it's a bitter fate." She added, "because if I am determined to get revenge the other is his mother so he wouldn't possibly let me have my way." She said.
       "It makes sense." Nuwa said, "but what are we going to do?" She asked.
       "This is his mother's doing and I don't wish to implicate him however I fear that if he interferes a little bit too much I might not be as merciful to spare him." Yang Meizi said.
       "Suppose he is like his mother, they are all the same flesh and blood." Nuwa said.
       "Whatever position it puts us in we'll proceed according to plan." Yang Meizi said.
       "Yes Milady." Nuwa replied.
       It was dark and the young Prince standing on a balcony that overlooked the rest of the city he marvelled at its brilliance.
       Under the brilliance of the moonlight his eyes shone like crystals with small streams of tears recalling each of the promises that the two had made to themselves.
       "You might wonder why I am telling you this?" Yang Meizi had asked as she looked at him composed but her eyes filled with sadness it only seemed that she was fighting hard to pretend that she was strong.
        Shi Miyuan had kept quiet.
       "Can you love someone who is blood thirsty like me, can I trust you with both this secret and my heart?" She had asked, "at worst I might not return the best affections but can you even tolerate that as well?" She added.
       Shi Miyuan having gathered the courage that he could find he had ceased her by her shoulders and had stared into her eyes so passionately.
       The thought of it alone forced him to gallop down his bottle of liquor in his hands when Lan He Happened to be close by.
        "Your Highness?" He called so concerned but the Prince ignoring his concern persisted to consume what he had in his hands.
         Furious he took the small jug in his hands and with all his might he thrust it onto the ground as the fine China ware shattered to pieces before him.
        The Prince infuriated he threw a punch in retaliation and Lan He still standing in front of him he didn't bother to dodge.
        The clash alone made the young Prince cry in pain and while Lan He pretended to be strong enough to beat the pain he couldn't seem to deny the reality that it was too unbearable as his eyes were red.
        "If only I hadn't hoped." Prince Zhao Kuo said.
        "I deserve death Your Highness, please hit me until you are better but please, don't hurt yourself because it breaks my heart." Lan He remarked.
        "It breaks your heart?" Prince Zhao Kuo asked.
       "Out of the sincerity of my heart all these years I have remained in your service, if it is now that you find to take my life I wouldn't blame you as well." Lan He said.
       "It's funny how my eyes have been swayed and even when I have hurt you or myself, it's your own being that's crying for me." Prince Zhao Kuo said.
       "I understand that I can't take away the grief that Your Highness is feeling but at least I can try to pull you through." Lan He said.
        "Can you imagine I was listening to a few things that they had promised each other?" Prince Zhao Kuo said, "my heart bled at the sight of how intimate they shared a gaze and she seemed to delight in his presence and not mine." He added.
       "Very many women in the palace and out of it crave my favours as though they were heaven's blessings, other crave to look at me even from afar or myself to return my brightest smile to them." He cried, "all this time she remains the only one that dared to look at another man and on the other hand I remained the person that thought I could have everything in the world but just learnt today that being a Prince isn't everything." He said.
       "And Your Highness is remorseful?" Lan He asked.
       "Tell me what you would have done in my place." Prince Zhao Kuo remarked while Lan He on his knees he tightened his hands around the young Prince"s feet.
        "As far as I know Your Highness is the first person that I have held like this in my entire life." Lan He muttered.
        "What does it matter?" Prince Zhao Kuo asked.
        "I can't heal the scars of your love life Your Highness but I can only tell you to move forward." Lan He replied and the Prince laughing he persistently held onto him.
       "Why is that?" he asked, "I feel too foolish myself that I got my hopes so high and in the end I didn't realise my place." Prince Zhao Kuo said, "I suppose that I forgot I am a human Prince momentarily." He added.
       "It's not that hard your Highness, after all the tree that bends never breaks." Lan He said.
       "Why are you telling me this now?" Prince Zhao Kuo asked.
       "When I say Your Highness moves forward are you simply going to just get yourself drunk and grieve over her rejection?" Lan He asked.
       "What do you want me to do?" the Prince asked.
       "Do you even love her?" He asked.
       "Do you understand what love is?" Prince Zhao Kuo asked.
       "Perhaps it's your Highness that is most ignorant." Lan He said as he raised his head and stared intently into his eyes.
       He had a serious expression on his face and his heart was beating fast as he breathed intensely.
       "Enlighten me." Prince Zhao Kuo said.
       "This is the Palace Your Highness, whichever it is that is under the roof is inferior to you by natural law, today it may be the Emperor that's holding her fate in your hands but tomorrow it will be you that's holding hers like a small ant under your feet.
       Who cares what you can and can not have, as long as it has breath or not and it can fit in the grip of your hands then it's as good as yours." Lan He said.
       "You are asking me to use force?" Prince Zhao Kuo asked.
       "That's the real cruelty of this world." Lan He said, "she was born a person but unfortunately under the wrong parents, she could neither be your mother nor your sister, grandmother or great grandmother all the same she can as well say no but it isn't hard to force a wounded deer to cave in." Lan He said.
       "She'll hate me." Prince Zhao Kuo said.
       "Let her hate you and curse you all the same, perhaps you are determined to never be tired of giving on one hand and herself receiving on the other but if it is love as you claim Your Highness, regardless of the judgement of the world, how much blood you must shed and feel no resentment or remorse then certainly do it." Lan He said.
      "I can't push that far." Prince Zhao Kuo asked.
       "It's against the type of person you were brought up to be Your Highness but I have been a warrior on the battlefield, I am not afraid of death and I am not afraid to kill so when you are ready and you can not stain your hands with human blood I'll be ready when you turn to me." Lan He said as he let go of him and then bowed his head.
       "It's the first time someone has told me that much." Prince Zhao Kuo said, "it's also the first time that I am very willing to listen." He added.
       "As long as there is life, there is hope and as long as there is hope Your Highness has the will to fight." Lan He said.
       "I won't forget your words." Prince Zhao Kuo said.
       "It's better that you remember each one of them I'm your heart." Lan He replied.
        Shi Miyuan was seated in his room and recalling the words that the young Prince had spoken earlier he thought about them deeply as they continued to linger at the back of his mind.
         "She is a Lady of the Palace and you are a privileged scholar that is favoured by His Majesty." He'd went ahead to say and Dong Hua seated right across from him noticed how sombre his mood was.
       "I suppose you are very disappointed?" He asked.
       "No." Shi Miyuan replied and he looked puzzled.
       "What is it then that makes you look so distracted at the moment?" Dong Hua asked.
        "The Prince." He replied.
        "Does Your Excellency know why he pretended to be an ordinary scholar?" Dong Hua asked.
       "Perhaps I could make a guess but judging from the look in his eyes right now I realize that perhaps I share something with him in common." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "What is it?" Dong Hua asked.
       "He also loves Yang Meizi." Shi Miyuan replied and Dong Hua puzzled he sat upright as he seemed to think about it deeply.
       "Are you sure?" He asked.
       "I am a fellow man." Shi Miyuan replied, "judging from the look on his face I can certainly tell with all my heart that he has affections because even when he explodes with anger I could feel the jealousy within him surging like a powerful wave." He added.
       "That doesn't prove a thing Your Excellency, I hardly heard about the Head Lady being affiliated with a Prince." Dong Hua said.
        "Perhaps had I not told her what affections it was that I possesed towards her he might have thought that he had a chance but seeing how close we seemed at the martial Academy he might have been infuriated by it." Shi Miyuan said.
       "What do you wish to have me do?" Dong Hua asked.
       "It doesn't matter." Shi Miyuan replied, "soon there'll be a coronation and he'll be designated as the Crown Prince, I don't expect him to lower his guard or give in that easily sooner or later he'll get back at me." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "It's almost time for you to get married." Dong Hua said, "it's not that it's easy but with the help of your father haven't you thought of asking the Emperor and the Empress Dowager for her hand in marriage?" Dong Hua asked.
       "She has a grudge on the Han Clan." Shi Miyuan replied.
        "What's that got to do with this?" Dong Hua asked.
        "She's in the Palace and she is bent to get her Revenge on them at any cost." Shi Miyuan replied, "besides, something as big as marriage also needs her approval that I do not wish to force her into this institution." He added.
       "I am only concerned that if you don't act early enough then the Prince might also pull his strings much sooner than the both of us expect and when the Emperor gets involved and sides with him, it'll be harder this time around " Dong Hua said.
       "The Empress Dowager might be in her favours and perhaps the Empress Consort as well, as things might seem now with the support of the two she could easily become an Imperial Concubine but I fear that this matter might drive things out of hand." Shi Miyuan said.
       "Then she should know." Dong Hua said.
       "I'll discuss with her but there is one complex strategy that we can rely on for the mean time however if she is ready it could put her in danger unless she can maneuver it." Shi Miyuan said.
       "What is it?" Dong Hua asked.
       "Princess Consort Han." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "Han Touzhou's niece?" Dong Hua asked surprised.
       "Yes." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "How so?" Dong Hua asked.
       "If she can play the jealous wife effectively then it might force the Prince to hold out a little bit longer for us to make our move because even if he doesn't consent to her demands using her uncle she could pull the strings that might confine Prince Zhao Kuo's intentions to make Yang Meizi his concubine." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "How sure can you be that it'll work?" Dong Hua asked.
        "What Han Touzhou wishes for this very moment is to secure the position of one of His nieces as the future Empress, before that alone can happen he would work hard enough to see that there are no dangerous affiliations with likely favorites." Shi Miyuan replied as he smiled ghastly.
       "It has its advantages." Dong Hua said.
       "Perhaps." Shi Miyuan replied.
       Empress Dowager Wu was seated in her Chambers when Wan Mei walked in.
       "Your Highness." She greeted, "you have a guest." She added.
       "Let them in." Empress Dowager Wu said and the doors bring flung open, Nuwa walked into her presence falling onto her knees and bowing her head before her.
       "Greetings Your Highness." She said.
       "What's the problem?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
       "I am here on behalf of Yang Meizi and she is not feeling well." Nuwa replied.
       "Is she ill?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
       "No Your Highness." Nuwa replied.
       "Then what seems to be the problem?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
       "His Highness the Imperial grandson." Nuwa replied.
       "The Imperial grandson?" The Dowager Empress asked as she caressed her white cat.
        "Yes Your Highness." Nuwa replied.
        "Why so?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
        "I'm old enough to understand that it's likely that the Imperial grandson does posses some affections for Milady." Nuwa said.
        "Isn't that a good thing?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
        "It's simply because Milady has another person in mind and at heart." Nuwa replied.
        "Are we well acquainted?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
        "Perhaps you might have heard of him Your Highness." Nuwa replied.
        "Is that so?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
        "Yes Your Highness." Nuwa replied, "Shi Miyuan has a sounding popularity in the capital." She added.
        "I presume it is he?" Empress Dowager Wu said.
        "Yes Your Highness." Nuwa replied and the Empress Dowager putting her cat on the ground she stood up from where she was seated.
       "Feelings of affection come naturally and additionally they aren't that difficult to kill, I raised Yang Meizi like my own daughter I wouldn't wish her to go down a path because she feels obliged in herself owing me.
       I trust that the both of them are adults and they can deal with everything accordingly, must I really interfere when I can't get to decide who is to be loved and who isn't?" Empress Dowager Wu asked.
       "Milady might understand your good intentions and perhaps your position as well, it's rather uncertain if the Imperial grandson can on the other hand." Nuwa said.
       "He might be a Prince but with time he'll realise that he can't have anything in the world." Empress Dowager Wu said as Wan Mei took her hand and she moved around her table finally stopping right in front of her, "sooner or later he is bound to give up the moment he realizes that his affectations can not be returned." She added.
       "Your Highness, I heard that he is quite stubborn, I spoke out of concern." Nuwa said.
       "Compared to Yang Meizi isn't she more stubborn than him?" Empress Dowager Wu asked with a smile on her face and Nuwa kept quiet.
       "I understand Your Highness." She said.
       "Don't try to." Empress Dowager Wu said, "I might protect Yang Meizi from the Imperial grandson but I can not stop him from loving her." She added as she moved past Nuwa and she stood behind her.
       "I understand that the Palace is busy preparing for the Crown Prince's Coronation and when he becomes Emperor the Imperial grandson shall become the Crown Prince, perhaps I can see to it that she lasts much longer with His Majesty and the Imperial grandson is busier." She said.
       "Thank you Your Highness." Nuwa said bowing her head and the Empress Dowager turning around she sighed.
        "It's getting late, allow Wan'er to see you off." She said.
        "Thank you Your Highness." Nuwa said one more time standing up onto her feet and withdrawing from the hall once and for all.
        The Dowager Empress then sat down in her seat.
        "Your Highness, the Imperial grandson has affections towards Yang Meizi, but then why aren't you willing to help him have his way?" Wan Mei asked.
       "It's not that simple." Empress Dowager Wu replied, "initially I thought that you were well informed that this was merely a gamble." She added.
      "A gamble?" Wan Mei asked.
      "The Imperial grandson is the son of the woman whose brother butchered Yang Meizi's mother and you can not blame her for her temporary repulsion of feelings, she is a rather sympathetic character and perhaps she needs time to realise which is a more precious relationship on her side.
       After all, I was gambling on her vengeance and I was a little bit certain that if she was ready to go all the way then isolating mother and son she would have robbed the Crown Princess of everything." Empress Dowager Wu replied.
       "You have already been kind enough to bring her up, I'm worried that her ill temper might ruin your plans." Wan Mei said.
       "You are overthinking things my dear, sometimes it's her temper that makes things easier for me coming up with stratagems that even I couldn't possibly think of and to put it simply as two heads are better than one we only need patience at times because nothing was ever achieved without enthusiasm and an Empire wasn't forged in a day." Empress Dowager Wu replied.
       "Yes Your Highness." Nuwa replied.
       "The morning is coming too son and after that a couple of days will be left to the coronation, we only need to enjoy whatever little time we have and prepare our best because after that day, Han Touzhou's arrogance will be revived once again." Empress Dowager Wu muttered.
        It was very early in the morning and the Palace was busy beaming with so much excitement and celebration, Yang Meizi was supervising the decorations and everything else when Shi Miyuan walked in.
      He stood for a while and watched her as she gave her orders to all the other servants lifting up everything they could and setting in place the flowers and ribbons. The carpets were all being laid and cleaned and the compound being tidied from end to end.
        Yang Meizi as though feeling another presence she turned around and saw him smiling at her.
       Shyly, she lowered her eyes as the young man walked closer and closer until he was standing right in front of her.
        "What are you doing here?" She asked.
        "Am I not free to see you?" Shi Miyuan asked.
        "If it was that easy then you wouldn't be apprehended for frequenting the Palace because this isn't your residence." Yang Meizi replied.
        "I wouldn't care losing my head for you." Shi Miyuan replied.
        "But I do care about your well-being." Yang Meizi said.
        "No worries." Shi Miyuan said, "I am here at the invitation of Her Highness the Empress Dowager, she believes that perhaps the both of us could have a word." He added.
        "Say what you wish to say to me." Yang Meizi said.
        "It can't be in public." Shi Miyuan replied and Yang Meizi nodding the two moved to a nearby corridor where they stopped and looking around to confirm that there was no one Yang Meizi turned her attention to Shi Miyuan.
       "Say what you wish to say." Yang Meizi said.
       "I understand that it might not be easy concerning the Imperial grandson and moreso as the son of the next Emperor when he becomes the Crown Prince I fear that he might become more arrogant after all the Harem is the Emperor's garden it can not be devoid of Imperial Concubines." Shi Miyuan said.
       Yang Meizi sighed.
       "I'm listening because it's you and I have thought about it." Yang Meizi said.
       "I promise to protect you and help you fight this but I am asking you to trust me." Shi Miyuan said.
       "What are you going to do?" Yang Meizi asked.
       "We could use the Princess Consort Han." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "Are you serious?" Yang Meizi asked.
       "When it comes to your well-being I couldn't be more serious than I am now." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "And why would she be helpful?" Yang Meizi asked.
       "I heard that she is quite jealous, if we could get her to ask her uncle to call the shots for her then we could restrain the might of the Imperial grandson." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "But the consequences might be dire in case things don't work out according to plan, and perhaps even worse she might put a target on my back." Yang Meizi said.
        "You want your vengeance to be complete but having the Imperial grandson's affection might do you more harm than good." Shi Miyuan said, "if you can get the Princess Consort not to take you as a threat but rather a victim it can only buy us the time we need." He added.
       "The time we need?" Yang Meizi asked.
       "I wanted to ask your permission first but it might not be easy and perhaps you are not ready to listen to what I have to say." Shi Miyuan said hesitantly
        "What is it?" Yang Meizi asked.
        "How would you feel if I asked you to be my wife?" Shi Miyuan said and Yang Meizi's eyes widened as she fell silent.
        "You don't have to give me your answer yet as I promised you that I could wait as long as it takes but if I must protect you from His Highness by taking you out of this Palace one way or another, becoming a powerful and influential Courtier to strike back at the houses of Li and Han altogether, I'll do whatever it takes to avenge your people." Shi Miyuan said.
       "I admire your sincerity but your actions could put your life at stake." Yang Meizi said, "besides, I told you that I am not the best at expressing my affections but for you I am willing to try as nothing is certain for now before thinking about marriage there are some other things that I need to take care of first." She added.
        "I don't wish to force you." Shi Miyuan said.
       "I understand." Yang Meizi said, "I have to go." She added as she moved away leaving him standing all alone in the corridor.
       "I'll do whatever it takes to protect you Mei'er, watch over me and give me the strength and I promise that I shall return to you." Shi Miyuan thought to himself.
       At the brink of dawn, the sun rose over the Palace and Lin'an burst into jubilation, the Courtiers from far and near were gathered in the Courtyard as Eunuch Qin stepped up into view.
       "WITH HEAVEN'S BLESSING AND WITH THE MANDATE OF HEAVEN, THE ZHAO DYNASTY SHALL CONTINUE UNDER HIS MAJESTY, THE STATE SHALL HENCEFORTH BE BLESSED, WE HEREBY SEEK BLESSINGS FROM HEAVEN AND EARTH AND HEREBY WORSHIP EMPEROR GUANGZONG, THE GREAT KING WHO RULES ALL UNDER HEAVEN." He announced and everyone turning their attention to the doors of the throne room above, being flung open, the Crown Prince Zhao Dun marched through wearing his dragon robes that were brightly coloured yellow.
       In his hands there was a jade tablet and his head graced by the twelve beaded Crown, he halted at the top of the staircase and raised his hands up to the heavens while everyone else present went onto their knees and bowed their heads.
      "LONG LIVE YOUR MAJESTY, LONG LIVE OUR EMPEROR." They shouted in unison as Yang Meizi raised her eyes up with all the other ladies in waiting and Palace attendants while she looked at the gates which were flung open and a sedan carrying the Empress made its way through until the foot of the stairs.
       It was lowered while Liu Zhan and Chiyun Ling held her hands and she stepped out wearing her phoenix headdress and blue hanfu as she slowly mounted the stairs while holding another Jade tablet.
       Approaching the Emperor she handed it over to the nearby Eunuchs and her husband holding her hand they both turned and smiled at the whole world.
       "Long Live the Emperor, Long Live His Empress Li." Everyone said in unison while Yang Meizi raising up her eyes to her smile she cursed inwardly.
       "Wait for me Your Highness." She thought to herself inwardly, "I'll spare you nothing." She added as she bowed her head.
       Yang Meizi and Nuwa returned to her Chambers while she was lightly hitting her shoulders.
       Now that a new Emperor has ascended the throne it's only a matter of time before we can move to the Palace of Virtue and Longevity." Nuwa said.
       "Much as His Majesty has become the Retired Emperor I feel that he will act in the model of his father and become the de facto ruler of the Empire." Yang Meizi said.
      "Of course anyone in his position would be unwilling to yield power to the Empress' Clan." Nuwa remarked.
       "But she won't let it be that simple." Yang Meizi said.
       "Why?" Nuwa asked as they continued to walk through the hallways.
       "Think about carefully, the Empress is aware that the Retired Emperor has his disinterest in her conserved and she isn't that easy a woman. The first thing she'd do knowing that her father in law would retain his power would be to effectively sever his influence in the Court." Yang Meizi said.
      "But the Courtiers serving His Majesty aren't that easy to get rid of." Nuwa remarked.
       "They might be influential and powerful but the reason a monarch exists is because they need a guide." Yang Meizi said.
       "So you're saying that the Empress is going up against the Retired Emperor?" Nuwa asked.
       "If she can't beat him politically then perhaps she could physically." Yang Meizi replied.
       "Even if on her end it was that plausible that's something that wouldn't be as easy." Nuwa remarked.
       "We have boiled the Emperor's suspicion of Han Touzhou but she is an Empress and between me and you there are only two people that can contend with her might the first being the Empress Dowager and the other being the Retired Emperor himself.
       The Empress Dowager might reserve sympathies because she is the mother of the Imperial grandson and for his sake she can't be very brutal with her but the Retired Emperor on the other hand as a senior head of State he'll have to react out of duty." Yang Meizi replied.
      "I understand." Nuwa remarked.
      "She has just gotten to the position of Empress but whether she can hold onto it for long or not one can not always be too certain." Yang Meizi said.
        "As she was made an Empress there are other precedents in History where an Empress was deposed." Nuwa said with a ghastly smile on her face.
        "And she knows that too because it is something that she fears the most." Yang Meizi remarked returning the same expression.
        Empress Li seated in her Chambers Han Touzhou was led in.
       "Congratulations Your Highness." He said as he bowed his head to her.
        "It's good to see that at last you are the in law to an Empress." Empress Li replied.
        "It hasn't been easy but I suppose that perhaps for Your Highness the long wait is over." Han Touzhou said.
       "It's only sad that I won't say so and you too very well understand what I mean." Empress Li said.
       "I don't wish to misunderstand so Your Highness confirm with your mouth." Han Touzhou requested.
       "I wish you too could tell me your deepest thoughts but since you asked first there is no evil in me admitting that there's no use of having a high position without any power." Empress Li said.
       "You have a less ambitious and tolerant husband, there are Courtiers in your favour, your kin is all powerful, so tell me where else would harm come to that power?" Han Touzhou asked.
       "The Empress Dowager still rules the inner Court, the Retired Emperor on the other hand still holds the reins of the Country for convenience, as you said it yourself that my husband is tolerant I fear that he might be satisfied possessing the title itself and with the other two antagonistic factions I understand that you know well it would put us in a very tough position." Empress Li said.
       "I understand your fear." Han Touzhou said.
      "I have only one son but who knows how arrogant that Noble Consort Huang is, the Empress' position can be secured with the designation of the Crown Prince and everyone might think that it's automatic that Zhao Kuo who is of age will fill that position the Courtiers on the other hand need to be convinced that he isn't entirely going to be my puppet." Empress Li said.
       "I understand Your Highness." Han Touzhou said, "it isn't that hard to hint on what you are trying to imply." He added.
       "I know it's a little bit too early to ask you to bring it up with the support of your people that you can garner but I also understand that the both of us know well how good the title of Crown Princess will suit your niece." Empress Li remarked.
       "Well said Your Highness." Han Touzhou said as the both of them smiled at one another.
       Han Touzhou walked out of the Chambers where Lin Xue was waiting.
       "Is everything alright Your Excellency?" He asked.
      "As expected, she knows how well to charm me with the Crown Princess position." Han Touzhou replied.
       "At this rate she knows that since you share a future together you are the only one she can trust forcefully and she is the same on your side." Lin Xue said.
       "But of Late the Empress Dowager has become too powerful and the Retired Emperor doesn't look any different, to put it simply even if her husband had so much power in his hands, to wield it all would be close to impossible which makes it useless on his side." Han Touzhou said.
        "We can't of yet attract another blow from the Empress Dowager, she might seem less suspicious but who knows if this is a temptation to cause us to believe that she has lowered her guard down?" Lin Xue remarked.
       "To stir up suspicion and not be clear enough for the world to read is how she prefers to rule her Empire." Han Touzhou said.
       "What are we to do now?" Lin Xue asked.
       "Our supporters are many and the current Emperor very willful, we do need a Crown Prince after all as the state is peaceful and it's about time to revive our economic power." Han Touzhou replied.
        "How are we going to do that?" Han Touzhou asked.
        "It's about that time of the year." Han Touzhou replied.
        "What?" Shi Miyuan asked.
        "The grains are scarce so we can expect the Prices to rise any time soon, by the time it comes to happen, we'll sell all that we have saved all along." Han Touzhou replied.
        "Yes Your Excellency." Lin Xue said.
       Yang Meizi walked into a room when she was joined by Bao Langya, Bo An, Master Bao, Nuwa, Shi Miyuan and a couple of other colleagues.
        There was a pre-existing silence while she moved up to the seat at the front and she sat down.
        "I suppose that you are all well aware why we are here?" Yang Meizi asked.
        "Yes." they all replied in unison.
        "Are we any different from our enemies?" she asked.
       Every one went silent as they looked at each other.
       "You needn't reply." she said as she looked at a large number of them, "I won't spare a single effort." she added while judging from the seriousness on her face no one bothered to utter a word in objection.
        "It's the hour of harvest at hand and a New Emperor has graced the dragon throne, the Retired Emperor still holds more power and precedence over the Imperial Court and with each rulers Advent the people believe that there are signs from heaven that can either brand it a blessing or a curse." Yang Meizi said as she smiled ghastly.
      "For example the harvest?" Shi Miyuan asked.
       "If there's plenty it's heaven's good will but for the time being Han Touzhou and a majority of his allies have commercially weakened and that alone puts them in a very tough position." Yang Meizi said.
       "After everything that has happened I heard that he can't seem to borrow money from very many people." Shi Miyuan said.
        "Which will leave him with one option." Yang Meizi said.
        "What is it?" Bao Langya asked.
        "He'll seek commercial interests on a number of commodities." Yang Meizi replied.
        "At this time the Emperor will open the state granaries to celebrate his ascension and Han Touzhou has this as a once in a lifetime opportunity which we can't let him fully exploit." Bo An said
        "Yes." Yang Meizi replied.
        "What's his plan?" Shi Miyuan asked. 
        "For a while at least five years ago Han Touzhou has been storing so much grain and despite being the future Crown Prince's kin, he couldn't tamper with any of the harvests from the state granaries out of fearing the Retired Emperor's aggression." Yang Meizi said.
       "But if it was five years ago us it likely that you knew about this a while back?" Master Bao asked.
        "We could touch Han Touzhou's other sources of income and they were in deed to many for is to exhaust but intentionally I didn't dare to tamper with his granaries." Yang Meizi replied.
       "Why?" Bo An asked.
       "We are too smart to get ahead of ourselves and besides it's no longer time for us to destroy it's simply time for us to conquer as I once told you I intend to take over his commercial might it's for this reason that we didn't alert him on this." Yang Meizi replied.
        "What's Your plan Milady?" Nuwa asked.
        "When would be the best time for Han Touzhou to open his granaries." Yang Meizi asked.
        "When I think about it, now that everyone is harvesting and now that a large number of people are demanding for these grains, if we are to combine the grains that come from the Imperial State granaries there'll be too much of it on the market." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "And?" Yang Meizi asked.
       "Prices will fall." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "And?" Yang Meizi persisted.
       "The Nobles and supporters of Han Touzhou are likely to buy large quantities of these grains." Shi Miyuan replied.
       "Yes." Yang Meizi replied with a smile on her face.
        "I finally understand." Master Bao said.
        "If all the Nobles buy the grains and store them, they can't sell at the same time because they expect the Prices in the future to shoot up and if they resorted to that then they would only be stabilising them instead." Yang Meizi said.
        "Even if we know what they are all planning, how are we going to overcome that?" Bao Langya asked.
        "There's one problem with buying in bulk." Yang Meizi said, "it's hard to tell how genuine the quality of the goods is and for some it's not Always healthy to stay into storage for a very long time." She added as she smiled ghastly.
        "Yes." Shi Miyuan Said.
        Han Touzhou was seated in his study when Lin Xue walked through the doors.
        "Your Excellency." He said as he bowed his head.
        "What is it?" Han Touzhou asked m
        "The grains are finally on market, as your Excellency expected, it's too much." Lin Xue replied.
        Han Touzhou hearing that he smiled as he stood up from where he was seated and slowly he walked towards his window.
        His face facing the sun he took a deep sigh and finally relaxed after taking in some fresh air.
        "Get a very good dealer, buy as much as you can at the lowest price." Han Touzhou ordered.
        "Yes Your Excellency." Lin Xue replied as he withdrew from the room.
        Bao Langya disguised as a merchant he stood at the corner around the street and there with his stall he put a very small stand.
        The people had gathered and Lin Xue surveying the whole place they caught sight of him and he nodded to Bo An.
        Bo An walking over to him he ceased his hand tightly.
        "Get off." The latter shouted pulling out his sword until he locked his gaze with the fairly younger stranger in front of him.
       "Are you looking for good quality grains?" He asked and Lin Xue lowering his sword and returning it to his sheath Bo An smiled.
        "Judging from the way you are dressed you look noble, the quality of this silk is very good, though how I would know it's because I have a very good taste in everything and I have been a trader all my life." Bo An said.
        "You sell grain?" Lin Xue asked.
       "Why would I ask you if I didn't?" Bo An said.
       "That makes sense." Lin Xue muttered under his breath.
       "Did you say something?" Bo An asked.
       "Never mind, show me what you have to offer." Lin Xue said.
       "This way Sir." Bo An said and taking him over to the stand where Bao Langya was seated, he quickly sat up and greeted him while Bo An brought over a chair on which he sat.
        "Let's get down to business." Lin Xue said.
        "Yes Sir." Bao Langya replied.
        "I am told that you sell grain I want to look at it." Lin Xue said and Bao Langya clapping two young men rushed over to his table carrying a small sack with them which they placed on the ground in front of Lin Xue.
        They opened it while he lowered his hand inside and looking at the two who gave him the widest smiles that he had seen, the feel from the grains seemed to change his expression instantly as he pulled it out and studied it with his own eyes.
        "Such fine grain." He said as he could hardly believe his eyes.
        "I told you that I had a good taste in everything." Bo An said.
        "It's in deed very good." Lin Xue said as he stood up from where he was seated.
        "Are you not willing to buy?" Bao Langya asked.
        "How do you sell?" He asked.
        "Ten gold per kilogram if you please." Bo An said.
        "I don't have that much." Lin Xue said.
        "Can't you at least spare?" Bo An asked.
        "I can get grain from anywhere in the land, who cares if it's fine or not, anything will do." Lin Xue said.
        "But you can compare to other stalls around us, no one sells a quality that is more fine than ours." Bao Langya said.
        "Ten Taels per kilogram then what about five hundred kilograms, you are asking me for five thousand golden taels where will that leave me?" Lin Xue asked.
       "Trust us." Bo An said.
       "Seeing that you have so much stock it's likely that you have barely sold a thing since morning." Lin Xue said.
        "There's a lot of noble people that are buying in plenty, wouldn't it help to possess more like them but at a higher quality?" Bao Langya asked.
       "I'm not satisfied." Lin Xue said.
       "Alright Sir, what if we gave you a very healthy offer?" Bo An said.
       "What's there for you to offer to me?" Lin Xue asked.
       "If you buy in bulk five hundred kilograms then we'll give you a ten percent discount, five thousand kilograms a twenty percent discount, how does that sound?" Bo An asked.
       "If your friend doesn't agree to it then I might as well look for other sellers and who knows, if you helped me with five thousand kilograms that much then perhaps I would consider recommending you to a couple of powerful friends of mine." Lin Xue said.
      "Are you serious Sir?" Bo An asked his eyes beaming with so much excitement.
      "Many of my people know that ai never lie." Lin Xue replied and Bo An moving towards the side of Bao Langya he shook him violently.
       "Have you not heard what the man has said?" he asked.
       "Don't be too quick to believe him." Bao Langya said.
       "Is this how you treat customers?" Lin Xue asked.
       "I am a human being that believes first with seeing." Bao Langya replied.
       "Then I'll leave." Lin Xue said.
       "Be my guest then and go ahead, what if you are all talk without any money you expect me to fall for those tricks." Bao Langya remarked and Lin Xue looking at the men behind him he nodded his head as one brought over a small chest and putting it on the table Bao Langya became curious.
       "What is that?" He asked.
       "Let him have a look." Lin Xue said and the guard that had carried it over opened it while the two watched.
       Their eyes beamed with excitement.
       "Impossible." They remarked.
       "One hundred Golden Taels in number." Lin Xue said as the two stretched their hands to touch them but Lin Xue looking at the guard he closed the chest and lifted it away.
       "Not so fast." He muttered.
       "Why?" Bo An asked.
       "Didn't your friend say that I am all talk without any money and that he believes with his eyes?" Lin Xue asked and Bo An knocking Bao Langya with his elbow the latter melted into a sincere apology.
        "Pardon me Sir as I spoke out of ignorance." Bao Langya said.
        "Every sin under heaven is forgiven and I am giving you a second chance to impress me." Lin Xue said as he ran his hand over the chest.
        "Whatever you say Milord." Bo An said.
        "Can you supply me with One hundred thousand kilograms of grains?" Lin Xue asked and the two looked at each other with disbelief.
        "Sir?" Bao Langya called puzzled.
        "I'm not here to pledge or mortgage, I am here with physical money." Lin Xue said.
        "Thank you so much Sir, If you want it then I can surely arrange for it, I can even meet all the supply costs if necessary and have it delivered to your residence right away." Bo An muttered.
       "I see." Lin Xue said, "that's not so bad an idea." He smiled.
       "What?" Yang Meizi said as she shot up in her seat.
       "Yes Milady." Bao Langya said, "Lin Xue asked for One hundred thousand kilograms in advance at a discount of twenty percent." He added.
       "As you had suspected, the moment that he saw the quality of the grain he was impressed that he decided to buy it from us." Bo An said.
       "After saying this he is certainly going to report to Han Touzhou but I heard that Han Touzhou really trusts him so much he might let him have all the money." Yang Meizi said.
       "This one mistake could destroy him entirely this time around." Bao Langya remarked.
       "I know that he'll probably have an excuse this time around to think that he can outcompete his other fellows on the market but the truth is it's going to make him more inferior." Yang Meizi said.
       "The Nobles sell in a continuous pattern to ensure that the prices keep on increasing gradually in their favour, there's not much of a difference between he who sells last and he who sells first and a total disruption to the chain could cause a number of them to collapse as well." Bo An said.
       "And we'll take that as our advantage." Yang Meizi said.
       "How so?" Master Bao asked.
       "I am thinking of erecting a new agency in town." Yang Meizi replied.
       "A new Agency?" Bao Langya asked.
       "Look for a very beautiful building that's exposed to the Centre of Town." Yang Meizi ordered with a smile on her face.
       "Yes." Everyone replied in unison.
       Empress Dowager Wu was seated in her Chambers looking through a couple of memorials with Wan Mei beside her.
       "It seems a little bit too hectic playing the regency." Wan Mei said.
       "This is what it means to govern." Empress Dowager Wu remarked as she took another memorial in her hand.
        "You are now the most powerful woman in the Inner Court, you are also way higher than Han Touzhou and he is beneath you, is this not what Your Highness wanted?" Wan Mei asked.
       "Where there's a will there is a way, trust me when I see this, as long as Han Touzhou is alive and moreso being supported by the Empress, we can't be too lax, he'd rise in retaliation anytime." Empress Dowager Wu remarked.
       "The City is currently busy, after Mass excitement caused the Emperor to open the state granaries and celebrate his ascension, I hear that the grains have flooded the streets and the Nobleman seem to be buying them in plenty." Wan Mei Said.
       "Winter isn't too far, secondly, the quicker they can exploit the market the lower the supply of the grains will be, surely, a mass scarcity could cause the prices to sky rocket and they'd cease that opportunity to make profits." Empress Dowager Wu said.
       "But they can't sell everything at the same time lest they overthrow their own strategy." Wan Mei said.
       "And even grains can't be kept for very long unless they want them to get spoilt." Empress Dowager Wu said.
        "They'd sell regulated amounts?" Wan Mei asked.
        "It isn't that hard to come to a concession." Empress Dowager Wu replied, "after all the only thing that keeps the tree together are the jointed roots." she added.
        "The Chance is now." Empress Li spoke to her brother Li San.
        "Are you sure Your Highness?" Li San asked.
        "Han Touzhou's economic might having collapsed us what kept him under our control, if he is to boost it once again using these massive grains then I fear that he'll be powerful enough to break away from it." Empress Li replied.
       "How can you be so sure?" Li San asked.
       Empress Li tucking her hand into her sleeve she pulled out a small piece of paper which she handed over to her brother who looked through it.
      "What's this?" Li San asked.
       "An anonymous letter." Empress Li replied, "someone tipped me off that Han Touzhou has already got a seller of high quality grains and he has made an order of One hundred thousand kilograms in advance and I didn't want to believe it but coincidentally, our spies are also reporting the sane thing." She added.
       "If the grains are of a superior quality then even against a majority of other nobles they suddenly won't stand a chance and because they are competing against time to preserve their grains they'd be forced to sell their low quality goods at a very low price as well." Li San said.
       "It seems that Han Touzhou's intention right now isn't to simply boost his economic might, it's to also cripple the night of his other fellows on the process." Empress Li said.
       "Even with that known what are we going to do?" Li San asked, "One hundred thousand kilograms of grain we couldn't possibly outcompete that." he added.
       "Contact the same seller." Empress Li said.
       "What?" Li San asked.
       "Find out who is selling the grains to Han Touzhou." Empress Li replied.
       "Why?" Li San asked.
       "Han Touzhou has shown us the way forward and we can't neglect it, besides it's going to be a little bit difficult for him to get that much money, besides, we are much more wealthier at the moment, we can't possibly let him buy those grains cheaply when we can afford them at a higher price." Empress Li replied.
        "I understand Your Highness." Li San said as he stood up and bowed his head walking out of the room.
       "Don't worry Han Touzhou, if that's what you want then I'll play along." The Empress thought to herself.