TEMPEST

Master Bao, Bo An and Bao Langya stood outside the gates of the inner Courtyard when a carriage halting outside Beiyuan stepped towards the door putting their a wooden footstool while the curtain hanging over it was flung open.
        He offered his hand to his mistress who walked out gracefully, descending from it while she mounted the stairs that led to the outer Courtyard where she halted and looked at the wooden plaque on top.
        "Is there anything Milady?" Beiyuan asked.
        "LANLING COURT." Yang Meizi replied.
        "The compromise of your security forced is into discretion, no worries though Milady, this place is safe enough for us." Beiyuan said.
        "How far shall we run?" Yang Meizi asked.
        He kept quiet.
        "A Martial Academy became a Courthouse, haven't we broken enough times?" She asked.
         "Yes." Beiyuan replied.
         "We are here to declare war." She reminded him as she raised her foot and crossed the threshold making it deeper inside where all the others upon seeing her they fell to their knees.
         "We welcome Milady's return to the capital." They said in unison all except for Bao Langya who lacked the audacity to even speak a word.
         "It appears as though we might not all feel the same." Yang Meizi replied looking at him.
         "Pardon me Milady." He said falling onto his knees and gravelling for her mercy while she smiled.
         "What is your fault?" Yang Meizi asked.
         "Over and over Nuwa secretly pestered me to find out your location but even then I was never suspicious, I didn't know that she could act up that way a step ahead of me and I failed to protect you from her I am so ashamed." Bao Langya replied.
         "Are you really ashamed?" Yang Meizi asked.
         "Yes." Bao Langya replied without hesitation and smiling at him she looked at master Bao.
         "Beiyuan?" She called.
         "Yes Milady?" He replied.
         "Give me a dagger." She ordered him and everyone was puzzled by her rather absurd demand it came a bit too unexpected.
         "Milady....?" Beiyuan as though protesting she only raised her voice more.
         "I said give me the dagger." She demanded and afraid he took it from his waist and then hesitantly he handed it to the young woman while Bao Langya unafraid he closed his eyes while looking down.
         "There have been way too many enemies around me and furthermore, I have really fought so hard to the extent of giving up charity because when I lost Maha along with me every other part that I could do call human is no longer existent." She muttered while she walked closer to him.
          "A guilty man can only make up for his mistakes both made knowingly and unknowingly and since it is so that you demand for forgiveness you shall earn it as long as you do what I tell you." Yang Meizi spoke up.
          "Yes Milady." Bao Langya replied.
          "In my hands I hold this dagger and I give it to you." Yang Meizi said as she bent over and held his arm placing it in there he opened his eyes to look up to her, "I want you to slay my demons and this Earth shall be filled with the blood of my enemies, hold on to this blade and use it to vanquish all my foes regardless of who they are, make this your promise to me." She said to him.
         "I promise." He replied.
         "Commit your heart." Yang Meizi demanded.
         "I do." He replied when she caught the blade from him shortly and cut her hand while everyone was seeing even the young man himself was startled.
         "Milady?" He cried.
         "A true promise is one that is smeared in blood." Yang Meizi replied and her hand dripping she turned to him as she handed over the blade once again still bearing her blood all over it's sharp edge he took it while everyone earnestly watched him and following her example he did the same with himself that smiling she tightly held onto his hand.
         "The day you break this vow, I promise to hunt you down to all the corners of the world if I must, I shall find you and abandon all affections to kill you myself." Yang Meizi assured him.
         "Yes Milady." He replied and she stood up content and walked away leaving the young man behind on his knees.
         Opening the doors to one of the rooms, she rushed in and was followed by Master Bao both of whom came to a table and they sat down face to face.
         "Forgive his impudence Milady." Master Bao said, "if anyone is to blame I am for not raising him well." The old man said.
         "You are like a father that raised me, about his mistake just forget as it is long done with and whining or resenting him won't return the life of Maha to me." Yang Meizi replied.
         "I am distraught when I hear about it, you must have gone through a lot." Master Bao said.
         "And I too have been too lenient that they misunderstood me, I can only make up for Maha's death by ridding the world of all those that killed him." Yang Meizi assured the old man.
         "Even if it kills you?" Master Bao asked.
         "I have already died and if I must become the very likeness of my enemies or worse, I shall go as far." Yang Meizi replied and the old man seemed hesitant.
        "My dear child, this path of vengeance is not so easy." He insisted.
        "Which is why I demand to know your allegiance to my cause." Yang Meizi replied.
         "I promised to protect you." Master Bao muttered.
         "Nuwa promised the same and she was the first person to stab me in the back you don't think that I am going to believe anyone's promise onwards, I am looking out for myself." Yang Meizi assured him as she picked the name tag and she placed it on the table in front of him.
        "WANG LIUAN?" He read.
        "Depending on this I'll certainly know your answer but he was one of the men that dared to hurt my Maha and I was reliably informed that he worked under General Han Huang, I want you to investigate this case and tell me who it was that sent him against me." Yang Meizi said.
        "I'll look into it Milady." Master Bao replied.
        "Don't let me down my dear because you of all people understand why." She reminded him.
        "Milady can rest assured." Master Bao replied and taking it into his hands, he stood up and walked out of the room leaving her alone while Beiyuan walked in shortly after.
        "Milady." He greeted her.
        "Follow him up closely." She said.
        "You don't trust him?" Beiyuan asked a little bit surprised.
        "I trust no one." She replied seriously standing up and walking out of the room as well.
         Empress Han was seated in her Chambers when Qing Yi walked in.
         "Reporting to Your Highness." She said.
         "What is it?" Empress Han asked.
         "Someone is here to see you." Qing Yi replied and the doors of the room being flung open, Wang Liuan walked in and bowed his head to the young woman who recognised him and she smiled.
         "Greetings my Empress." He said.
         "It's been a while." Empress Han replied, "in a week's time you couldn't pay me a dear old friend of yours a visit." She remarked.
        "I was so caught up in the errands." Wang Liuan replied.
        "Yet Qing Yi had informed me that you were the brains behind my most trying task." Empress Han said.
        "I am flattered." Wang Liuan responded.
        "And a formidable talent like yourself I am impressed that there's an enterprising man like you in the world, I do hear that you haven't been as privileged in the army you take a keen interest to study the stars, divine something for me I might consider giving you a good position on the Grand Secretariat." Empress Han conditioned.
         "There's too many grudges in the army I couldn't bear to keep up with them, what I desire to live is a very long life which is why Your Highness, there's no position in that Court that I desire either for your benefit or mine as it is I chose to be a diviner not for self glory but to run away from any likely disaster that could threaten my life." Wang Liuan replied.
         "You have quite a tongue, this is the first time someone has turned me down." Empress Han said.
         "Not with a bad heart though and now that Your Highness has requested I could give you some bit of advice." Wang Liuan muttered.
         "I'm listening." Empress Han said.
         "Be wary of the Concubine selection." Wang Liuan replied and the Empress looking at him she smiled.
         "The harem is a prison, at the very least all those greedy ministers will send over their daughters intending to forge affiliations with the Imperial family and should that be the case, I can't let their foolishness deprive me of prisoners of my own." Empress Han insisted.
         "I could hardly understand why but you are the Empress cunning enough and graceful the same and much to your dislike you aren't the fiercest of women and neither are you close enough to being the smartest of them." Wang Liuan replied and the Empress' smile waning her face seemed to immediately adopt a rather furious look.
         "Pardon me?" She asked.
        "As long as you have the phoenix crown it is hard earned Milady hence you should know that as it is given so it can be taken away and given to another." Wang Liuan replied, "if Your Highness insists to surround yourself with enemies then I pray that the heavens be with you in these soon to be most chaotic times because you must devote your all to vanquish someone that has devoted their all to vanquish you." He added.
        "You are speaking in riddles." Empress Han said.
        "And if necessary Your Highness I shall speak in rhymes but come what may, if you can dread one of these days, you must prepare yourself for a bloody war in this Palace." Wang Liuan replied.
         "You speak as though you know, surely tell me please, who in their right mind dares to challenge my might?" Empress Han asked.
         "The heavens can not reveal everything to me, but if there's something I have seen these past couple of days, gemini has breached your constellation, such that can only foretell the Advent of a contender to your might." Wang Liuan replied and bowing his head to the Empress he stood up at once.
        "Be cautious and prepared Your Highness, it's the very least that I could do for you." He muttered as he turned around to walk away.
        "Any contender is to be buried, isn't it so?" Empress Han asked before he went any further.
         "The most dangerous animal you should know Your Highness is one that has been cornered, in a situation like that it's not just fighting to kill, it's fighting to survive." Wang Liuan added as he walked out through the doors and the Empress still seated at her table she felt uneasy Qing Yi walked in a moment later.
         "Are you alright Your Highness, you don't look so we'll yourself." She said to her.
         "Forget it." Empress Han said, "how far with the concubine selections?" She asked.
         "This matter the Emperor placed both the Grand Empress Dowager and the Empress Dowager in charge." Qing Yi replied.
         "Is that so?" Empress Han asked.
         "Yes." Qing Yi replied.
         "Then I need to know which families are sending over concubines." Empress Han said.
         "You can rest assured, please leave it to me." Qing Yi replied as she withdrew from the room.
         Wang Liuan on his way out of the central Palace Court Lady Cao and her train of attendants appeared before him and sharing a glimpse with one another as they bypassed each other, both halted in each other's footsteps.
         Everyone else had to come to a halt and turning around they looked at each other side by side.
         "Is there a calm in your soul?" Wang Liuan asked.
         "My life has been set free from worry." Court Lady Cao replied.
         "I don't think so." Wang Liuan replied.
         "Why?" Court Lady Cao asked.
         "I am certain that I couldn't be wrong in saying, your ambition is much greater than what you posses can hold for you right now." Wang Liuan replied.
        "You seem too sure." Court Lady Cao muttered.
        "Because you aren't hearing these words for the first time." Wang Liuan replied, "as it so is you can reach any height you shall aim for but you can't be too sure everything shall always go your way." He added.
         "Haven't I rid myself of all potential foes, am I not a step too close to the affection that I am after?" Court Lady Cao asked.
        "You might think so but nothing in this life is as easy after all, there's another much like yourself to be beckoned with." Wang Liuan replied.
        "I'll keep your wise counsel in mind." Court Lady Cao said.
        "Unlike the Empress, you seem to understand better than anyone else the true meaning of that which is dire." The man replied as he walked away while Linxiang quickly rushed over to her mistress' side while she seemed to have become uneasy at the moment.
         "What did he mean?" She asked.
         "Forget it, let's see the Empress." Court Lady Cao replied as she sashayed into the direction of the Central Palace the man's words still lingering at the back of her head.
        Empress Han was seated and Court Lady Cao walking in Linxiang followed her from behind carrying a box which she laid at the table and bowed her head.
         "Greetings Your Highness." She Said.
         "If it isn't the Head of the six matrons?" Empress Han asked.
         "It all wouldn't have been so without Your Highness thinking so deeply about me." Court Lady Cao replied.
         "You should be happy, for a Court Lady it's the highest you can reach." Empress Han said.
         "Which is why at my urging His Majesty asked me to send over this Mengding tea, Your pavilion hasn't had the very best in a long time and he has been so caught up in the affairs of state but His Majesty is grateful that you have managed the harem well enough and I am grateful that you allowed me to lead you to the demise of your greatest for." Court Lady Cao replied.
        "I admire that you are smart yourself." Empress Han muttered.
        "Your Highness flatters me." She replied.
        "In good faith, though I know well enough to deliver this Mengding tea couldn't have been your sole intention there's something else that you have on your mind." The Empress said.
        "Your Highness isn't very wrong to say that." Court Lady Cao replied.
        "Really?" Empress Han asked.
        "Everyone is talking about the Concubine selections and it seems that they might come sooner than intended Milady however does know that for centuries the harem has been a conflict for many mine is to assure you that a firm control of all those women and display of your might should make you able to quell all forces of resistance and on the other hand I can do whatever it takes to protect His Majesty." Court Lady Cao replied.
         "You're not telling me what I already know I'm supposed to do?" Empress Han asked.
         "I was mainly guessing that I understand what Your Highness is thinking yet you might have known that even I am not one that can die easily surely, you are as proud in me and should be confident that I am most reliable to protect His Majesty from anyone that dares to harm him." Court Lady Cao replied.
         "Aren't you so devoted, I am as well moved by it." Empress Han remarked.
         "Surely Your Highness must be." Court Lady Cao replied and smiling heartily at her she bowed her head while the latter returned the warm expression with an equally warm one as well.
         "If that's all then may I take my leave?" Court Lady Cao asked.
         "Surely, I won't contain you any longer, just watch your step." Empress Han replied and standing up she withdrew from the room leaving the Empress furious inside.
         "That bitch is simply enjoying threatening me." She remarked while Qing Yi silently watched the door.
         "She seems to be aware that we wanted her dead." Qing Yi replied.
        "Even I think so but from her tone regardless of how hard I think she's always acting like she understands me well enough and she's being respectful yet she orders me what to do and not do, huh, she must be having her head way higher than she should keep it." Empress Han said.
        "But Your Highness acquiesced to her becoming the head of the six matrons." Qing Yi said.
        "Not because I would forsake your every effort but rather because she's going to have a hard time and for the tribulations ahead to offer you as a scapegoat I'll be cutting my own flesh." Empress Han replied.
        "Your Highness is brilliant." Qing Yi said.
        "Surely." Empress Han muttered smiling at herself while Court Lady Cao standing outside the Empress' quarters she smiled at them one last time before she descended the stairs gently.
        "The Empress seems to be suspicious as it is." Linxiang said.
       "Which for a woman like herself it's natural yet these concubine selections I'm surprised have done little to add to her worries." Court Lady Cao replied.
        "Why do you say so Milady?" Linxiang asked.
        "At the very least the words that man said I suppose she's also been too reluctant about even virtually participating in the event at the very least she hopes for a display of power once they are all settled." Court Lady Cao replied.
        "But are you worried about the selections Milady?" Linxiang asked.
        "Even I hardly know, it seems to me though that I might have started to have a bad feeling about them." Court Lady Cao replied.
        Master Bao sat at a restaurant and a young man walked in and greeted him.
        "Milord." He said.
        "Let's get down to business." Master Bao said and the young man sitting down across the table he held into his sleeve and pulled out the name tag that Yang Meizi had given to him and handed it over to the young man.
       "Wang Liuan?" He read.
       "I know that this is a very task but I am trying to find out about this man, judging from the tag it must have been about more than fifteen years ago when he served in the Imperial army hence I am forced to believe that there should be a record on him at least." Master Bao said.
        "Are you sure that you want to find out about this man?" The young boy in front of him asked.
        "I am more based on knowing his recent commitments and sightings." Master Bao replied.
         "In deed it won't be easy." The young man agreed.
         "Which is why out of everyone else I could find you were the best candidate." Master Bao said, "as soon as possible I wish that you could help me with this." He pleaded and the young man taking the tag he put it in his sleeve.
         "Rest assured Milord, I shall do what I possibly can." The young man said.
         "Thank you." Master Bao said as the young man stood up and kowtowed once more to him before he withdrew from the room and Bao Langya walked in.
        "Father?" He called.
        "What?" Master Bao asked.
        "Could it be that the Hans had something to do with this?" He asked.
        "It's likely but the person that hurt Yang Meizi was Nuwa it's possible that she needs clarity concerning this issue." Master Bao replied.
         "What's the worst that could possibly happen, Nuwa being affiliated with the Empress or solely being responsible for the murder of Maha?" He asked.
         "Each is as fatal but it's better to be wary of both parties." Master Bao replied.
         "By both parties you mean?" Bao Langya asked.
         "Yes." Master Bao replied, "surely, they are each fatal enemies that we must kill." He added.
         Bao Langya seemed worried.
         "Does it bother you that much?" Master Bao asked.
         "It's just that, regardless of whatever Nuwa has done, she's a part of the brotherhood." Bao Langya muttered.
         "She once was." Master Bao remarked, "but she turned against everyone of us and harmed a member we each so dearly cherish if it is our wrath she must face let it be her retribution because at the very least, she must have been prepared for everything we could possibly do in vengeance." He added.
        Han Touzhou was seated in his study when the doors being flung open Lin Xue walked in.
        "Greetings Milord." He uttered.
        "You seem to be in a very good mood today." Han Touzhou remarked.
         "It's the lady of the house, Mrs. Han." Lin Xue replied.
         "What about her?" Han Touzhou asked.
         "She's returned from the Temple after a while and she seems excited with a child in her hands." Lin Xue replied.
         "Did you just say a child?" Han Touzhou asked.
         "Yes." Lin Xue replied.
         "Congratulations Milady." The servants in the house said as they each stood around the fairly old woman that was holding the child in her hands and smiling at it quite heartily.
         "Who is there to thank but the heavens?" Lady Han asked.
         "Surely they are in your favor." One of the ladies in waiting remarked and the doors of the room being opened Han Touzhou and Lin Xue walked in that the old woman stood up and bowed her head to him.
         "Milord." She Said.
         "I just heard that you returned from the temple." Han Touzhou replied.
         "Quite right my dear but who would have thought that I could come across such a miracle?" Lady Han asked.
         "You didn't possibly bring in another person's child." Han Touzhou said and the lady looking at everyone else in the room they dispersed and walked out of it leaving the old couple together.
          "Are you out of your mind?" Han Touzhou asked furiously.
         "Milord couldn't give me a child of my own so how could I possibly oversee this child when I saw him with my own eyes being carried down the river with blood all over his clothes." Lady Han replied.
         "This is an issue that you are supposed to discuss with me as your husband." Han Touzhou shouted.
         "How dare you call yourself my husband when you have never seen me as your wife, hardly did you ever embrace me even once and ours being a marriage of convenience I always leaned on the false hope that once you'd even cherish me with your whole heart rather than become a joke to the world and all those other bitches you are lying around with, let me adopt a son to protect my name." Lady Han said.
         "Just between the Cao and the Han clan, it is important you know where you belong." Han Touzhou said.
         "And all these years I have helped you and asked for nothing in return but this time please, let me rear him as my own son." Lady Han said and looking at her he took pity.
         "Do as you wish." Han Touzhou said.
         "Thank you Milord." Lady Han said as she bowed her head and he turned around to walk out of the room.
         A short while later her personal hand maid quickly rushed over to her.
         "What did he say Milady?" She asked.
         "Nothing much Shunde." Lady Han replied.
          "It's been weeks Milady, haven't you thought about a name for the little one already?" She asked
         "I'll call him CHENLING." Lady Han replied.
         "Chenling, it's not that bad." Shunde remarked as the old lady smiled at her very little child wearing the half Jade pendant around his neck.
         It was coming to dark and Yang Meizi stood at the window as she looked out into the dark compound, she was overwhelmed by memories of her child Maha when the door creaked and she was startled at once back into reality.
         "Milady?" Beiyuan said to her while she noticed that he was carrying a small bowl in his hands.
         "What is it?" Yang Meizi asked.
         "You haven't had anything since morning." He replied as he placed them on the table and Yang Meizi rushing over to his side she quickly sat down and picked up the pair of chopstick preparing to eat.
          She halted halfway, remembering how she'd looked at her child in her own hands, her eyes were burning at the memory and her cheeks were flustered that she shed a tear.
         "Maha?" She muttered under her breath when she recalled that Beiyuan was present and she wiped her tears.
         "You don't have to keep it you yourself Milady." He Said.
        "What do you know?" Yang Meizi asked, "you have never been a father let alone a parent, you couldn't be afflicted by the grief of loss the way that I am, you couldn't be torn by that pain." She assured him.
         "But I have lost someone as well." Beiyuan replied.
         "But what keeps you alive?" Yang Meizi asked while he kept quiet.
         "Is it love or devotion?" She asked he could still hardly come up with an answer.
         "You see it's neither." She replied, "only vengeance roaring deep down inside causes my heart to live, only anguish gives me purpose." She assured him while himself unable to bear her talk he turned around to walk away.
         "I don't wish to be like you Milady." He muttered.
         "I never wished to be like this myself." Yang Meizi asserted.
         "But it was your choice Milady." He blamed her.
         "Then shouldn't you have resented being in my service?" She asked.
         "I am merely a shadow I can't feel any weight, you have been too good a person in the past bearing the troubles of the world there wasn't one person in this world even making an attempt at trying to bear yours as well." Beiyuan replied.
          "Nuwa was even more loyal than you are." Yang Meizi remarked.
          "Is that not awful enough Milady." Beiyuan asked.
          "I am lacking in the courage to remember that she perhaps had already borne so much for me, I am only dreaming of the day that I mangle that neck of hers in my arms and teach her to fear me again." Yang Meizi replied as she picked the cup of tea and she drank it up furiously smacking it onto the table empty her eyes still raged with fury at that most awful and painful memory of hers Beiyuan knew better to keep quiet and go his own way without looking behind. 
         Bao Langya was seated alone in his room at the table thinking about the words that his father had told him at the restaurant when Bo An walked in all of a sudden and upon noticing that his colleague was absent minded, he sneaked over and with his hands leaning against the table he looked at him earnestly.
         "Bao Langya?" He called at first but without receiving a reply he brought his face closer to the young man's side and he seemed to feel another presence in the room he shrieked first with fear that the latter raised his hands.
          "It's me." He said.
          "Bo An?" He asked.
          "Yes." The latter replied that he seemed calm and his friend took the seat that was right next to him.
          "You seem rather worried." He Said.
          "There's just so much on my mind." Bao Langya replied.
          "About Nuwa?" Bo An asked.
          "Hmmm." Bao Langya muttered nodding his head in approval that he sighed and putting his hands behind his head he reclined in the seat and looked at him.
          "Why must you think about it so much?" He asked.
          "Nuwa did something wrong I am not interested in the reason she had as she wouldn't probably convince me, I am rather worried she was like a sister hence we couldn't possibly run away from the fact that one day..." He hesitated.
          "...We'll have to kill her?" Bo An asked.
          "Yes." Bao Langya replied.
          "How would you have felt in Yang Meizi's shoes?" Bo An asked and the young man kept quiet.
          "You don't know perhaps but I can tell you we can not understand what others are going through unless we are going through the same thing ourselves and it might seem that our Lady is vengeful but haven't you thought about it that if Nuwa could stab her one day it's possible that she could stab us as well?" Bo An asked.
         "I didn't think that far." Bao Langya replied.
         "You promised Our Lady today I hope that you remember this but for the best you do realise you and I have done nothing at all to deserve her care yet she has protected us all as descendants of the Silver Fraternity so can't we protect her from her enemies?" Bo An asked.
         He seemed to be taking it to heart.
         "I didn't know." He muttered, "all that I am hoping for is that at least it doesn't have to be the worst of calamities befalling us both." He added.
         The man that Master Bao had sent was looking through the Palace records of visitors that had been received and as he looked at the name tag he cross checked everywhere for the name which he finally landed on.
       "Wang Liuan?" He said as he corresponded it with the residence next to it his eyes seemed to widen on realising what it was.
        "Impossible." He said when he heard someone coming and quickly he closed the book and returned it to the shelf picking out another one which he opened and read right when an unexpected guest walked into the room.
         "Milord." He said bowing his head to the Eunuch Deng.
         "What are you doing in here?" He asked.
         "Nothing, I was just looking through the Art of war." The young man replied.
         "But this section is forbidden to the guards." Eunuch Deng replied.
         "I apologise then, I'll take my leave." The young man said as he walked out of the room and Eunuch Deng looked around for anything suspicious but he couldn't seem to put a hand on it that it so happened that Peng Zishou walked in.
         The guard reaching outside he took a deep sigh recalling what he had read with his eyes.
         "The Central Palace." He muttered under his breath as he walked away stealthily careful enough not to draw any attention to himself.
          "A carriage carrying Yang Meizi halted in front of the Pingle Tavern and she walked out covering herself while she was joined by Master Bao the elder slid a door to a small isolated compartment where they found the young man earnestly waiting for them and carrying an envelope in his possession.
         They sat down in front of him while he bowed his head to her.
         "Master Bao told me that you are the man he gave the task." Yang Meizi said.
         "Yes Milady." The soldier replied.
         "And what is your name?" Yang Meizi asked.
         "Jin Roulan." The young man replied.
         "Jin Roulan?" She muttered with a smile on her face, "I hope you didn't let me down." She said.
         "As Milady demanded." He replied taking an envelope from his sleeve which he slid over to her and she took into her hands and opened it pulling out the name tag, along with it there was a piece of paper with something written on it.
         She stole a glance of him fiercely and she perused through it's contents eventually comprehending them all she crumpled the paper.
         "You are sure?" She asked.
         "Wang Liuan did serve in the army under General Yang and after his party was cleared out in 1170 on the charge of treason he transferred under General Han Guang in Xiangyang where he was later transferred to work as a patrol guard in the capital but he resigned from the army and all the other records of him in the next year's were never gathered, however hearing about Court Lady Cao's attempted murder of Milady I thought that it must be linked to the Palace I eventually had to check the records for some of the visitors and I noticed that earlier in the day, a copy arrived from the Palace of the confidential visits in the palace and summons I eventually learnt that he had been to the Central Palace." The young man replied.
        "Really?" Master Bao asked.
        "Emperor Gaozong needed to keep a record of all the visitors in and out of the Imperial Palace and this secret compilation was daily sent to the Grand Secretariat and the Ministry of Defense for purposes of security of the members of the Imperial family and convenience, that way he could watch closely all those around him and turn the Palace into yet another dungeon for one to not be too willful." Yang Meizi replied.
         "Yes." Roulan replied.
         "Then that could only mean...." Master Bao said.
         "Whether Nuwa was involved or not I am sure I never told her even once about my pregnancy and the one person that would feel threatened by the child was the Empress." Yang Meizi concluded.
         "It wasn't even the Emperor's." Master Bao remarked.
         "But she didn't know that either, His Majesty had affections for me naturally she would think that child would be an excuse for me to go back into the palace eventually she had to deal with both me and my son, that way the Emperor would forget I even existed and she'd love comfortably." Yang Meizi replied.
          "I'm so sorry Milady." Roulan said.
          "She really dreaded me that much?" Yang Meizi said to herself as she exploded into an evil laughter her eyes became teary and bloodshot and frightened the two men present reserved their silence until she stopped.
         "The Empress is powerful." Roulan said.
         "So what?" Yang Meizi asked, "if that bitch really was so worried about me that much she wanted me dead then alright, I'll give her something to dread yet again." She added.
         "What are you thinking about now Milady?" Master Bao asked but ignoring him she smiled at herself ghastly inwardly cursing her expression could promise nothing more than the very worst that there was yet to come.
         Yang Meizi walked out of the room furious and Beiyuan rushing to her side she stood at the balcony that overlooked the small pond in the backyard, there she mused at the waters for a while and Beiyuan keeping a distance from her she seemed lost in thought and a number of things going on through her mind she could hardly comprehend her earnest wish.
        "Why did it have to be this way?" She asked, "why did it have to be you my Maha?" She asked herself as she covered her eyes and sobbed silently while Beiyuan standing around he could tell from the aura around her that it was misery stemming from within her.
        He turned around to walk away when halting in his footsteps, her sigh drew his attention more than before.
        "The world is as cruel as they say." She spoke up as though having noticed his presence.
         "Perhaps Milady." Beiyuan replied.
         "How far are you willing to go with me?" She asked.
         "As far as I can." Beiyuan replied.
         "You do recall though that this is the second time I am asking you to be sure you're ready to follow me." Yang Meizi said.
        "Yes." Beiyuan replied bowing his head.
        "Then do something for me." Yang Meizi said as he raised his eyes and looked at her as she seemed most determined and apart of her lively self for some reason ceased to appear kind she reflected cruelty, darkness and a very cold self unseen in her before.
        Someone walked in veiling their head and removing the hat Yang Meizi was set before Zhao Ruyu who seemed very startled seeing her in the small room of the inn.
         "You?" He Said.
        "It's my pleasure to meet you Your Excellency." Yang Meizi said with a smile on her face.
        "I heard that there is something that you wished to talk to me about." Zhao Ruyu said.
        "Your Excellency is right." Yang Meizi replied and the older signalling for her to sit down she reclined in the seat that was in front of him and humbled herself as he watched the boiling kettle at the centre and a silence prevailed for a while.
        "You have my attention." He spoke up.
        "I am here to strike a deal with you Your Excellency." Yang Meizi replied.
        "Strike a deal with me?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
        "The Grand Chancellor Shi Hao remains so in name, Han Touzhou the Grand Secretariat is notorious, you have part of the army which is why you remain in power as the left Chancellor but have you ever wondered about the one thing that Han Touzhou has that you don't?" Yang Meizi asked.
        "You seem to be content of your knowledge so why don't you enlighten me?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
         "I want to give you a chance." Yang Meizi replied.
         "And which one in particular?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
         "You are well aware that the concubine selections are at hand, you must also know that the reason that Han Touzhou and the Empress Han are in favour of this is because they are looking for prisoners of their own and as you might be blessed to be affiliated with the Imperial family they also hope to use the daughters of your people against you as an insurance." Yang Meizi replied.
        "I am sure that this they already know, there must always be a sacrifice for the greater good and I am forced to believe that the same would go for the daughters of my brethren." Zhao Ruyu replied.
         "Except that if you lose out on the support of your people failure even for a great politican like yourself shall be highly inevitable." Yang Meizi replied.
         "So you are here to threaten me?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
         "I served the Xiaozong Emperor and his Majesty I am sure has deep affections for me, upon such a background would I dare to ask without being confident in my talents?" Yang Meizi asked.
         "It's one thing to have the heart of a man, another to keep it to yourself." Zhao Ruyu remarked and picking up the small jug he poured some tea for the young woman who took it into her arms and stared at her reflection as she smiled.
         "Just so do you underestimate my capabilities?" She asked.
         "But can you prove to me the degree of necessity that our alliance can fulfill?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
         "I am smart enough you must have heard but I lack in the support of the Imperial Court, the Grand Empress Dowager was quite fond of me she would be as glad I suppose and well there is a crisis as to who would probably inherit her poise and acumen." She said as she took a sip and lowered the cup down, "you need this coalition to extend an arm into the harem as much as I do." She reminded him.
         "So you are suggesting that I make you a Court Lady once again?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
          "If it was that hard to be a Court Lady then I wouldn't have become one in the first place yet now I have endeavored to see you perhaps my ambitions weren't clear allow me to tell you that I am looking beyond that." Yang Meizi.
          "So you wish to dictate the conditions of this coalition?" Zhao Ruyu asked.
          "The best that a Court Lady can do is tend to His Majesty's wishes but hardly can she become a life partner to the Emperor." Yang Meizi replied, his eyes widened in disbelief.
          "Don't you overestimate yourself?" He asked.
          "There's no ill in that however that's not the highest that I can reach." Yang Meizi replied.
          "So what do you suggest I should make you?" The old man asked.
          "I won't ask much that you do not know, you must be aware what I want more than anything else and perhaps to protect the daughters of your children and your men I am your only option." Yang Meizi replied.
         "There are rules to picking Imperial concubines." Zhao Ruyu informed her.
          "But there's no law that forbids the Emperor from loving a woman." Yang Meizi replied as she leaned her hands and touched the old man's hand looking him in the eyes she smiled, "all you need is to give me your blessing and let me show you what Han Touzhou and the Empress fear more than the devil himself." She whispered to him and studying her expression for a while he seemed speechless by her actions while she seemed most content about their conversation.
          Bao Langya and Beiyuan waiting outside the doors of the room were opened and out of them Zhao Ruyu walked out and descending the stairs, shortly after him Yang Meizi emerged as well standing on top of the staircase she bowed her head to him and offered her salutation while he seemed to ignore it turning around and continuing his way Yang Meizi descended the stairs as well after him.
          The two quickly rushed to her side.
          "What did he say?" Bao Langya asked.
          "He doesn't seem to be like the type that would prefer a concession." Beiyuan remarked.
         "What does that matter?" Yang Meizi asked.
          "Shouldn't you be worried about it Milady?" Beiyuan asked.
         "Not in the very least there are other people that would be willing to have me for an ally he didn't choose me but I chose him instead." Yang Meizi replied.
          "I don't understand." Bao Langya remarked.
          "If there is a formidable ally I wish to cultivate they must like me possess an equally powerful hate towards Han Touzhou, that way I wouldn't have to worry much about shifting of loyalties." Yang Meizi replied with a ghastly smile.
         "But will things work out in Milady's favour?" Beiyuan asked.
         "Don't worry about it, regardless of how hard he thinks this through, he'll realise that for him it is nothing more than an dead end and I am the only one that can bring him from this rut." She confidently replied.
         Zhao Ruyu walking into the streets he halted and the guard that was accompanying him stopped following his example.
         "What's the matter Milord?" He asked.
         "She's really strange." Zhao Ruyu replied.
         "The young woman?" The guard asked.
         "I can hardly imagine the last time I saw someone like her, not even the Grand Empress Dowager possessed such remarkable poise she surely isn't any ordinary young woman." Zhao Ruyu replied.
         "Why do you say so?" The young man asked.
         "It's strange how there are very many people that are striving to just have a chance to work in the palace, she is so far the only one that I have seen daring enough at her age and given her family background that demands to enter the harem as a concubine where she has to compete with other fairer and graceful young women." Zhao Ruyu replied.
          "Is it not in the eyes of the beholder that beauty lies?" He asked, "how many of those beautiful women have we seen if she's most willing to be a seductress then surely she is desperate, something which we could use to our advantage." He added.
         "I hardly trust desperate people." Zhao Ruyu remarked.
        "But if she is graced and lucky she can even become a Noble Consort, can she really not stretch to the highest title that a secondary wife can attain as not many girls in the harem would dare to fight the Empress and commit themselves as much as she will." They informed him.
        "I considered that which makes me doubt if she shall never become a political enemy like Yang Guifei." Chancellor Zhao said.
        "You can make her a Consort and at the same time you can deprive her of an Empress' Crown." The young man replied, "after all, just where in the history of the Great Song did an orphan become an Empress?" He asked and Zhao Ruyu content in his words he smiled contentedly at what he had heard from him.
        Empress Han, Empress Dowager Xie and Grand Empress Dowager Wu sat at the top of the staircase outside the Grand Hall of the Cifu Palace, beneath them were a series of attendants that were gathered and the night sky darkened by clouds there were lanterns all over the place that illuminated it.
        "Such a grandiose event, Your Highness the Grand Empress Dowager surely put in your best efforts and I am very much impressed." Empress Han remarked.
        "I am too old and so are my tastes, if anyone is to thank then it is Court Lady Cao for having seen to the proper organisation of this event." Grand Empress Dowager Wu replied while the latter only smiled at the three Empresses dressed in all their regality.
         "She's a very remarkable character in deed, after all, it is His Majesty our Emperor's concubine selection and I heard that the girls are very pretty I bet that our Young Emperor will have an eventful harem." Empress Han replied when Wan'er moved over and whispered something in her mistresses ear while the other two Empresses watched and the Empress Han softly patted her white husky.
        "I see the young women are all here except for one that is being held back." Grand Empress Dowager Wu said.
        "Then we can not simply let the others stand on ceremony." Empress Han said.
        "Surely." Grand Empress Dowager Wu replied her throne highest of the three Wan'er stood right there.
        "All Noble women pay your respects to the three Highnesses." She announced and the doors of the Courtyard being drawn open four lines of young women each holding twenty five young girls made their way through the aisle and stopping at the bottom of the staircase they bowed to the three Empresses.
        "Greetings Your Highness the Grand Empress Dowager, greetings Your Highness the Empress Dowager and Your Highness the Empress." They said in unison and the three ladies smiling the lanterns held close to their faces they were examined as they each seemed to be remarkably beautiful.
         At the time Wan Mei rushed up towards Wan'er whispering something into her ear while Qing Yi was watching and the latter moving up to the side of the Grand Empress Dowager seemed to pass on the communication that appeared to startle the old woman she reluctantly responded saying something.
          "I think the Grand Empress Dowager is up to something." She whispered to Empress Han who turned to look at the two when Wan'er moved up to the top of the staircase.
          "All of you move to the sides." She ordered as the young women moved to the side and accompanying her command was the lightning streaking across the sky that was followed by the loud sound of thunder they all seemed to be wary of an approaching storm while Court Lady Cao sat in a small chair on the side.
         "Open the gates." She ordered and two Eunuchs standing at the crimson and golden doors they pulled the dragon knobs and outside, dressed in a navy blue and green hanfu and young woman in the company of six palace maids lighting the ground for her she walked in while maids holding lanterns flocked either side of the walkway to illuminate the way.
       She gracefully walked with every step, her head held high, still quite distant her face was hard to recognize in the flashing lightning she eventually halted at the foot of the stairs.
        "Come closer?" Empress Dowager Xie ordered and the latter complied raising her every step gently while he fellows watched, Court Lady Cao seemed to find the figure familiar by the time she was about five metres away, she knelt down and the lightning striking again reflected her face the Empress and Court Lady shrieked as though in fear the husky in her possession was loosened it fell down to the ground.
         "Greetings Your Highness the Grand Empress Dowager, Your Highness the Empress Dowager and Your Highness the Empress." She spoke in the most familiar tone with a smile on her face as she bowed her head and raised it again her adversaries confused with all the new young women and Court Ladies seemingly surprised she'd had the most remarkable re-entry into the palace.
        For Court Lady Cao looking into her eyes, the Empress seemed short of words as the heavens loudly roared and protested, the wind howled about harder than before and a remarkably frightening atmosphere had set in within those cruel crimson walls.