WAR OF NERVES

Empress Han seated in her Chambers Qing Yi followed behind her and bowed before her.
          "Aren't you half as curious?" She asked.
          "His Majesty was infuriated Your Highness, won't he take it out on you?" Qing Yi inquired.
          "Except that I am the one going to protect Lady Yang." Empress Han replied.
          "Again?" Qing Yi inquired.
          "Except that this time round I am too weak." Empress Han replied.
          "Please enlighten me Your Highness." Qing Yi requested.
           "I am kind hearted only a couple of slaps on her face with the wooden can are brutal enough to punish her for the ill preparation of the musicians at the birthday Ceremony and we'll stick to that however in the mean time word beyond the Palace walls will have it that a deceitful Lady Yang has cast an evil eye on the Crown Prince and since long ago it should be better to revive the old ways of punishing witches." Empress Han replied.
            "Your Highness, you are bound to face great opposition from her supporters in the Imperial Court, especially Zhao Ruyu." Qing Yi replied.
            "And that's what I want." Empress Han remarked as she smiled at herself ghastly.
            "I can't believe it, of all things in the world?" Wan Mei muttered.
            "What about Lady Yang?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu inquired.
             "You worry so much about her Your Highness, but after everything that the Empress has been doing she doesn't seem to be the type of person that is in the mood to get back at her one way or another." Wan Mei replied.
            "It's very much unlike her." Grand Empress Dowager Wu remarked.
            "Rumours are already circulating in the Palace that there's an ill omen about it and that's not the very worst that can happen I am reliably informed there could be more appeals for His Majesty to seek out the divination counsel from the the Imperial observatory." Wan Mei replied.
             "Is this how serious it has become?" Grand Empress Dowager Wu inquired.
            "I'd dare not lie to Your Highness." Wan Mei replied.
            "What's going on Your Majesty?" Lan He asked.
            "Who could have done it?" Emperor Ningzong said instead.
            "I ain't seem to think of anyone else Your Majesty." Lan He replied.
            "It is for sure that the Courtiers shall demand for an explanation which they'll need because any persistent silence will force them to think that Your Majesty is deliberately being partial and involving yourself in the affairs of the Inner Court." Eunuch Deng said.
             "They surely will." Emperor Ningzong remarked.
             "Except that what can we do to ease the tense situation?" Lan He asked.
              "I need to see the Imperial physicians." Emperor Ningzong replied and Eunuch Deng looking at Lan He the two bowed their heads to him as they withdrew from the room leaving the Emperor alone they eventually got outside while Eunuch Deng faced Beiyuan shortly after the latter had left.
             "What is the situation?" He asked.
             "There's some news I want you to send to Lady Yang's residence." He replied and Beiyuan leaning over he whispered something into his ear before he withdrew.
             Lady Yang seated beside Manyin's bed the door to the room was opened and Xiaoyang walked in.
            "Someone's here to see you Ma'am." She announced.
            "Let them in." Lady Yang said and Beiyuan walking in she had not noticed.
            "What is it?" She asked.
             "Ma'am?" He spoke up in a familiar tone which compelled her to turn around and eventually seeing him her heart was very blissful that it forced him to hurry over and bending she felt his face.
            "Oh, how thin you have become!" Lady Yang exclaimed as she held his hand.
            "Don't cry Ma'am, this loyal subject of yours having even a glance I consider myself blessed, without anyone in the Palace for you to trust you must have been lonely." Beiyuan remarked and Lady Yang sighing his eyes shifted behind her where he saw his sister.
           "Manyin?" He called but the latter still unconscious he moved beside her.
            "It's all my fault for having been a bit too lax." Lady Yang muttered, "I didn't expect Her Highness to think about it this much and it was only weeks ago that I learnt that they were adding small volumes of purslane to their clothes but even on top of that their sheets, she must have inhaled too much and I am more worried that there are traitors amongst us." She added.
            "Then why don't you tell His Majesty?" Beiyuan asked.
           "Everyone thinks it's best but there's only too few people that can keep this secret." Lady Yang replied.
           "But Ma'am aren't you buying them enough time, the sooner they'll know it'll be harder for you to shift the winds in your favour." Beiyuan said.
             "Haven't you noticed how fast these things have happened and in fact the Empress only acts stranger with the day it's obvious that she intends to oust me from the palace at the very least and perhaps even have me murdered." Lady Yang pointed out, "she must be blissful at the moment after all from here the Courtiers shall certainly demand that I be executed and who knows if it's an evil eye then they shall seek out evidence and it's very obvious where it shall most likely be." She added.
            "Ma'am......" Beiyuan said.
            "His Majesty is unwell, I bet you are here to tell me this." Lady Yang said.
            "How did you...." Beiyuan inquiring she interrupted.
            "The Empress might be very powerful within this harem but I assure you that I have eyes everywhere, the reason you are here is because there is something that I need you to deliver to His Majesty." Lady Yang said and putting her hand into her sleeve she pulled out an envelope which she slid across the table.
            "Ma'am, what's this?" Beiyuan inquired.
            "The Empress must be spreading talebearing right now and at this point she could risk using the Ladies' Investigations Bureau of the Palace and if she does it will put us in a predicament it's a bit too early for her to test their loyalty yet again." Lady Yang replied.
           "Even if His Majesty commanded them as the Head of State and their Emperor, they are still a force that's reserved for the Empress' direct command as ladies of the Inner Court which will arouse immediate suspicion." Beiyuan pointed out.
            "Just trust me on this." Lady Yang said.
             Empress Han seated in her Chambers Qing Yi quickly rushed in.
            "Your Highness." She cried aloud.
            "Any news from the Grand Palace?" She asked.
            "His Majesty the Emperor." Qing Yi replied,
            "What's with him? Empress Han inquired.
            "Something is strange." Qing Yi replied, "His Majesty dispatched a vast force of Imperial guards around the Imperial Prince's residence after he happened to summon a group of Imperial physicians to his Chambers." She added.
            "How many?" Empress Han inquired.
            "About twenty of them." Qing Yi replied.
            "That many?" Empress Han inquired.
            "The Health Bureau of the Palace wasn't informed to and I am told they were asked to keep it a secret." Qing Yi replied.
            "His Majesty was in perfect Health, what could possibly be wrong with him?" Empress Han asked and thinking about it for a while she turned to Qing Yi.
            "What are we going to do Your Highness?" She asked.
            "We'll stick according to plan." Empress Han said.
           "But Your Highness....." Qing Yi spoke as though in protest.
           "It's uncertain what His Majesty is capable of doing and furthermore, if there was something wrong with him why wait until now, from my perspective it seems that His Majesty is deliberately going to use this to protect Lady Yang which we can not allow to happen." Empress Han muttered.
          "She's more cunning than I thought, now it seems that she has set the Emperor under her thumb." Qing Yi remarked.
          "But come to think of it she's even given me an idea." Empress Han said as she smiled at herself ghastly.
           Emperor Ningzong seated quietly in his study Beiyuan walked in with the envelope.
           "Your Majesty?" He called to him as he bowed his head.
           "Tell me." Emperor Ningzong said.
           "Lady Yang asked me to deliver this." He replied and handing over the envelope to the Emperor he took it and opened it pulling out a piece of paper which he unfolded and his eyes perused through it's contents for a while before he folded it again.
           "Is there anything wrong with it Your Majesty?" Beiyuan inquired.
            "Let's wait for a while." Emperor Ningzong said and the doors of the room being opened Eunuch Deng rushed in.
            "Your Majesty." He said as the Emperor turned to him.
           "What's the resolution?" Emperor Ningzong inquired.
           "We have received news from the Central Palace that the Empress is doing unwell." Eunuch Deng replied.
           "The Empress can not manage the Harem's affairs as it is." Emperor Ningzong said as he smiled.
            "Lady Yang was certainly right Your Majesty, I fear that the Empress must have been involved." Eunuch Deng muttered.
            "So you are telling me that she was right to be afraid?" Emperor Ningzong inquired.
            "At this rate she can not protect him a second time and considering the fact that the Courtiers haven't yet made a move or even an appeal I find it quite suspicious yet rumour has it that the capital is in an uproar." Eunuch Deng muttered.
            "It's being cautious as that's something they have proven to be best at all this time, the bigger the scenario then the greater the momentum." Emperor Ningzong replied as he handed over the letter to Eunuch Deng who took it into his hands and reading the contents he folded it as well.
            "Lady Yang, she possibly couldn't." He said.
            "She must feel most devastated she's lacked backing from the Imperial Court and moreso after Lady Cao was sent from the Palace there's hardly anyone here that could protect her in her eyes she'd rather sacrifice herself than allow me to be implicated in the eyes of the people as a foolish Emperor." The young man muttered.
            "Her claim though can not be considered valid with insufficient proof to defend her as well, don't you get it Sire?" Eunuch Deng defended.
            "I only learnt that purslane made her servants incapacitated at the time there was a rumour of the plague and a dead body of one of the Lady Investigators she'd dismissed and then the water in the wells becoming blood I fear that this is all a sufficient evidence of her Innocence you shall hear out my decree." Emperor Ningzong said.
           "Yes Your Majesty." Eunuch Deng and Beiyuan said in unison as they bowed their heads.
            "The Ladies' Investigations Bureau of the Palace shall come under direct questioning from the State Tribunal and they shall be investigated on the charge of treason for intending to bring harm upon the Imperial Prince." He said and at once the two left the room.
            The Lady Investigators outside their offices one of them rushed through the gates.  
            "Milady." She cried as she made her way into the office where Madam Rui was seated with her other two colleagues they each turned to her.
           "Why are you acting like this?" Madam Mo asked.
           "Guards of the Imperial State Tribunal, they are here with the Emperor's arrest warrant." The young lady replied.
           "The Empress protects us." Madam Jing muttered.
           "Her Highness has reported ill Milady and His Majesty asserted that he fears her ill health will hamper her from performing her responsibilities as the Head of harem." The young woman replied and at that moment the guards making their way into the Courtyard of the Investigations Bureau Officer Jiang Chen appeared ahead of them once again.
           The three madams in charge of the Bureau walked out with some of their subordinates.
            "What's the meaning of this?" Madam Jing asked.
            "We are here Milady on Imperial order with an arrest warrant from His Majesty, however before the arrest can be carried out there is something that we must first validate." Officer Jiang replied.
            "Validate?" Madam Mo inquired.
            "The harem isn't our place but I am sure you would understand our position and since we seek out your earnest cooperation, allow us to conduct a search of this bureau." Officer Jiang muttered as he bowed his head to the three.
             "Let him." Madam Jing replied.
             "Milady...?" Madam Mo called to her.
              "It's the Emperor's decree." Madam Jing replied and immediately she stepped aside while the guards made their way in and Officer Jiang Chen studying their facial expressions could tell that they weren't at ease with the whole idea.
             "Is there anything that I should know about?" Officer Jiang inquired from Madam Jing.
            "What can I say about this Milord?" She replied as she turned around and faced him, "if you are here on His Majesty's order then perhaps there's something awfully wrong and if there's something awfully wrong I suppose you do understand that it couldn't be our intention because of our best interests." Madam Jing added while Officer Jiang looking at the Officers looking about the place he seemed suspicious.
            The search persisting for a while a number of guards returned to Officer Jiang.
           "Your Excellency." They said to him.
           "What is it?" He asked them.
           "There's something Your Excellency should see for himself." They replied and looking at Madam Jing he was led into one of the rooms of the Lady Investigators where he looked about the place and noticed something on the ground in front of him.
            He walked closer trying to look around the table that blocked his view when his eyes landed on a blood stained piece of cloth.
            "This is.....?" He asked.
            "One of the ladies watching the Imperial Prince's residence vanished in the course of the night and her whereabouts until now are not known yet all these belongings are asserted to be hers." His subordinate replied.
             "How strange!" Officer Jiang exclaimed.
             "His Majesty had an idea." He said.
             "So it seems, could this have been his reason for dispatching all those Imperial guards to the Imperial Prince's residence?" Another asked.
            "So it seems." Officer Jiang replied, "until this case is solved, the Ladies of the Investigations Bureau of the Palace shall be brought in for questioning and further investigation." He added.
            Lady Yang in her Chambers the doors were opened and Xiaoyang walked in.
           "Everything is proceeding according to plan Ma'am, as you will, sooner or later the work of the Ladies' Investigations Bureau of the Palace shall come to a halt." She said.
             "We need to go somewhere." Lady Yang said.
             "Where to Ma'am?" Xiaoyang asked.
             "Don't ask me too many questions, just make sure that you cover up for me in my absence." Lady Yang replied.
            "Your wish is my command Ma'am." Xiaoyang muttered and Lady Yang standing up from where she was seated the latter moved to the side while she sashayed from the place.
            "What?" Empress Han said on top of her voice.
            "His Majesty is acting strange." Qing Yi replied, "learning of your ill health he dispatched the forces of the State Tribunal and these have confined the Ladies of the Investigations Bureau of the Palace and they seem to be looking for something." She added.
           "What could be happening right now?" Empress Han inquired and the Empress trying to think about it recalled the words that Lady Yang had mentioned to her.
          "Your Highness, even if you gathered the voices of all the men in the world, their plea would never eclipse my whisper." She'd warned her.
            "What was she trying to mean?" The Empress asked herself as she clenched her fists.
            Night had fallen and veiled while being escorted by Bao Langya, Lady Yang made her way into Lanling Court and there she was led to a room where she found Zhao Ruyu seated.
            "Your Excellency." She bowed and greeted him.
            "I heard that you wanted to see me." Zhao Ruyu muttered.
            "I am sure it's not something that you are unaware of." Lady Yang said as she got closer and sat down on the nearby stool while the latter looked at her.
           "What have you to say to me this time?" He inquired.
            "You'll stay out of this business." Lady Yang said and hearing these words the old man's eyes widened.
            "What?" He inquired.
            "You heard me Your Excellency, you are going to stay out of this." She emphasized a second time.
            "You must be out of your mind." He protested.
             "At this rate I have never been more sober Your Excellency and our enemies are too great you'll have to agree with me on that when I tell you all these events that have recurred altogether could spell doom for the both of us if mismanaged." Lady Yang muttered.
            "The last time you handled things inside the Palace the Empress pleaded for your Innocence." Zhao Ruyu remarked.
             "Except that now she is suddenly ill of all times we can't rely on her charade of protection." Lady Yang replied, "the Courtiers and the whole world saw what happened inside the palace today and there's hardly a petition I am not one to believe they turned a blind eye to it the best thing I could consider them waiting for is the people to break loose." She added.
             "So what do you suggest I do?" Zhao Ruyu inquired.
            "Regardless of how many fingers they point at me when the time comes it's best that you remain silent." Lady Yang said.
             "And why would I let that happen when there's too many people looking up to you, if a pillar collapses a house won't last as well without it." Zhao Ruyu responded.
            "It could be tomorrow or any day after that but leave it to me, it's a surprise that the Courtier is still patiently waiting when you know, they smell weakness before everyone." Lady Yang informed him and standing up, she offered her final greeting and withdrew from his presence at once.
            Zhao Ruyu in the room alone was left quite startled when Lady Yang exiting the building she stood at the staircase and turning around to study the plaque hanging above it she walked away while at a distance there was someone watching her.   
             Lady Cao impatiently seated in her own compartment Linxiang walked in.
            "Any news from the capital?" She inquired.
            "A letter just came in." Linxiang replied as she took the envelope and handed it over to Lady Cao who quickly opened it and got hold of the letter that was inside unfolding it to read through its contents after a while she crumpled it.
            "What does it say Ma'am?" Linxiang inquired.
            "I wonder what the Empress is up to, there's been way too many unfortunate events on the Imperial Prince's birthday and yet there's hardly a whisper from the Courtiers it could only mean that the situation back there is tense." Lady Cao replied.
            "Could the Empress mean to protect her again?" Linxiang inquired.
            "The first time was for convenience and now she is suddenly ill, the Emperor's actions are themselves much too unclear no one can happen to read his mind." Lady Cao replied.
           "In deed it's strange, perhaps for the Empress it isn't yet the right time." Linxiang remarked.
           "Then when will the right time be?" Lady Cao asked, "there's only one thing I know about a burning pot that is covered and once the steam becomes excessive with a violent undercurrent, the explosion will be loudest." She asserted.
            "Are you sure?" Qing Yi asked the young girl.
            "I can swear with my life I saw the Lady Yang coming out of a Courthouse and shortly after her Zhao Ruyu the Left Chancellor followed." The young girl replied.
             "Well done." Qing Yi said as she smiled.
             "Your Highness it is I." She announced herself to the Empress who was silently seated in her Chambers.
             "You may come in." Empress Han replied and she complied making her way up to her presence and bowing her head.
            "Your Highness was right, Lady Yang is uneasy about everything that's happening and she met up with the left Chancellor Zhao Ruyu they sure must have talked about it." Qing Yi replied.
            "Very good then." Empress Han said.
            "A new day will decide her fate Your Highness." Qing Yi remarked.
           "It surely will, it surely will." The Empress remarked.
            The sun rising over the city, the gates leading to the Grand Hall were opened and the Courtiers in three groups each marched divided by the Grand walkway as they held gracefully their ceremonial tablets and lifting their caftans they mounted the stairs in the most orderly manner the Imperial guards at a distance and the Eunuchs following to guard the entrances the Courtiers each settled in their usual positions with hardly any chatter.
            "The Courtiers are here Your Majesty." Eunuch Deng said.
            "Any reactions from them?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
            "Only the people outside in the markets Sire." Eunuch Deng replied, "from the Courtiers there's hardly any reaction coming from then." He clarified.  
            "It's very much unlike them." Emperor Ningzong said.
           "But they must be aware that the Imperial physicians have been frequenting your Chambers Sire." Eunuch Deng muttered.
            "Then dismiss the assembly and tell them that I shall tend to the memorials." Emperor Ningzong ordered.
            "Yes Your Majesty." Eunuch Deng replied as he bowed his head before he withdrew from his presence.
             Silently waiting in the Hall Minister Zhao Ruyu only sneaking a glance at Han Touzhou who pretended not to be bothered they each hardly spoke to one another.
            "His Majesty deigns you with his presence." They announced and all the others bowing their heads, Eunuch Deng made it to their presence they in turn looked up to see who it was.
            "Eunuch Deng?" Han Touzhou called his name while he smiled at them.
            "Pardon me but His Majesty has asked you all to return to your homes as it is that he's not feeling well he greatly fears that he'll not be in the position to make it to the Daily Assembly today." Eunuch Deng announced.
            "Alright." Han Touzhou replied and Grand Chancellor Shi watching everything was marvelled as they each withdrew almost as fast as they had made it in.
            "How strange?" Zhao Ruyu muttered to his colleagues under his breath as they followed and Eunuch Deng studying the situation he immediately retreated from the hall back to the room of the Emperor.
           "What happened?" The Emperor Ningzong asked.
           "They didn't complain Your Majesty, as soon as I gave the order none of them bothered to question they immediately withdrew from the hall at once." Eunuch Deng replied.
            "Even Han Touzhou?" He inquired.
            "He was the first to leave Sire." Eunuch Deng replied.
            "You'll summon the physicians in the morning, at noon and in the evening." Emperor Ningzong said, "they must fear to raise it hence I shall cease that fear and see that this is issue is done and forgotten." He added.
            "Yes Your Majesty." Eunuch Deng replied as he withdrew from the room.
           "There's still no reaction?" Lady Yang inquired from Manyin.
            "None at all Ma'am and His Majesty did not even appear at the Grand Hall, it seems that the Imperial physicians shall continue to frequent his Chambers but still there's no news as he's turned down all his appointments and commitments and no one apart from his servants goes both in and also comes out." Xiaoyang replied as she bowed her head to her.
            "He was compelled." Lady Yang replied.
            "They're probably watching our every move but if they don't strike then it won't be in our favour and the people themselves shall demand for an explanation which will need to be given, perhaps the Empress is testing your patience." Xiaoyang muttered.
           "She's surely determined to watch me break first." Lady Yang replied.
           "And what are we to do about that Ma'am?" Xiaoyang inquired.
           "We won't strike until she does and she of all people will soon learn that it's the only chance, since they are relying entirely on the people to cause the scene we shall break the people first and force them to cause the scene themselves." Lady Yang replied.
          "How so Ma'am?" Xiaoyang inquired.
          "There's an orphanage in the capital that is quite popular and they were in dire need of financial aid." Lady Yang replied, "In the mean time being me a book and gather a couple of ladies in waiting to help me in these few days." She added.
           "Yes Ma'am." Xiaoyang replied as she withdrew from her presence.
           "It is Your earnest wish Your Highness, fine, then I shall play along." Lady Yang whispered to herself as she laughed aloud it echoed through the walls of her Chambers.
            "There is a bad omen that's hanging over the palace and everyone has it that it's because of Lady Yang." Some of the villagers muttered amongst themselves.
            "What do you mean?" Another asked.
            "You mean to say that you are very much unaware?" The man asked.
            "Tell me more." The latter demanded. 
            "A plague started spreading from her quarters and only days later that whole past month the water in the springs and wells around her residence turned into blood, the stringed musical instruments all over the capital on the Imperial Prince's birthday were broken and rumour had it that the country's music lost its melody, worse the plaque hanging over his Palace nearly fell on His Majesty and why is it that after all this happened he had to fall sick." The man said and everyone following his example seemed to cautiously follow the idea.
            "You must be mistaken." Bo An muttered himself disguised with a fake beard.
            "What are you talking about?" The villager asked, "I have a niece who works in the palace." He added.
            "Then you must have not heard what recently transpired." Bo An muttered.
            "Recently transpired?" The villager asked.
            "Yesterday morning the servants went to draw water from the same so called bloodied wells around Lady Yang's Chambers but they gathered three wooden buckets full of gold." Bo An replied.
           "Did you say gold?" One of the men in the congregation asked as he came closer to him.
            "It has been the talk of the whole capital since morning and as though that's not enough His Majesty had ordered her to keep it but she donated it to the orphanage and also the Hanlin Academy." Bo An replied.
           "She's really that benevolent?" Bao Langya suddenly pretended to ask.
           "What has the Empress done for this country?" Bo An asked and the former that had been narrating interfered.
           "How did you know, how sure can you be it's the truth when you haven't been in the Palace?" He asked.
           "Says who?" Bo An asked as he pulled out the Imperial guard badge which he showed to the men.
           "You're, Imperial guards?" The man asked.
           "Why would I have this badge if I wasn't one?" Bo An asked as he chuckled and all the others chuckling with him the narrator infuriated he walked away.
            "How come the people have not reacted?" Empress Han asked Qing Yi.
            "I don't know Your Highness but it seems that there's different phases going around and for Lady Yang her tale seems more authentic after she made a donation to one of the biggest orphanages in the Capital and everyone is praising her that some people have styled her as Guanyin." She replied.
           "The goddess of mercy?" Empress Han said.
           "This is proving to be more disastrous." Qing Yi replied.
           "If the rage of the people is quelled the Courtiers' plea would mean nothing and I heard the Emperor hasn't left his quarters in three days now." Empress Han said.
           "Yes." Qing Yi replied.
           "Fine then." Empress Han replied, "let's see how long these petty skills of hers shall last." She added furiously as she clenched her fists.
           "Ma'am?" Xiaoyang muttered.
           "How's the going?" Lady Yang inquired.
           "Very good." Xiaoyang replied, "the people are praising you so much." She added.
          "And the Empress?" She asked.
          "Furious of course." Xiaoyang replied.
          "Definitely." Lady Yang replied, "her head must be spinning she'll certainly launch back at us." She added.
          "In the meantime the books that you have compiled are ready." Xiaoyang replied.
          "You'll distribute them through the palace." Lady Yang said as he placed her hand on the table and leaning closer signalled for Xiaoyang to bring her head closer which she did.
           "Anything else Ma'am?" She asked.
           "I want a copy out in the public." Lady Yang said.
           "Rest assured Ma'am, soon enough the Capital shall be singing your name." Xiaoyang replied as she stood up and walked out of the room.
           "Enough is enough." Minister Xie muttered to Han Touzhou.
           "A little more patience won't hurt." He remarked.
           " The Emperor must be taking us for fools it's been five days now and he won't seek out presence let alone grant us an audience there's only replies coming in from the memorials and nothing else." Minister Xie remarked.
          "It should be obvious that he is using our silence to avoid the topic and I fear that Lady Yang has become more popular, this was the one thing that I feared about the Empress' decision as it now seems that the harem shall be harder to censure and let alone it's influence over the state shall cease to be curtailed." Han Touzhou muttered.
            "It's clear that he wanted to protect the Lady Yang." Officer Jiang muttered, "a lady in waiting that had been assigned to the service of the Imperial Prince had gone missing and the Ladies' Investigations Bureau is still under inspection after a piece of cloth belonging to her was found there with blood they can not be moved by the Empress and her asserted illness to make her inadequate in the defense of Lady Yang gives His Majesty all the more reason to contain the Inner Court." He uttered.
          "It needs no clarity to tell that Lady Yang is indirectly pulling all the strings and that puts us in more turmoil." Minister Xie said.
            "Yet have we any other option?" Lin Xue spoke up and everyone looking at him Han Touzhou smiled.
           "He alone seems more reasonable than you." He defended.
           "We understand that he is your retainer...." Minister Xie speaking up he was interrupted.
           "But he has a point as it seems that the Empress has put herself in a prison to fight for us while we on the other hand are doing nothing but speculating." Han Touzhou said as he turned to Officer Jiang.
             "You are often quick when it comes to solving such crimes but what happens to be the matter now?" He asked.
             "We are up against Lady Yang and we know what she's capable of, two Consorts are already banished from the Palace because of her a single hasty move could be fatal I must take precautions." Officer Jiang replied.
             "All in all regardless of your excuses it's best that we all remember, the Empress in the Palace is our pillar hence if she collapses we shall all fall." Han Touzhou reminded them.
              Standing up they followed his lead and bowing his head they kowtowed while he showed himself the way out.
            "This is going to be much harder than I expected." Han Touzhou muttered.
            "I bet so too Your Excellency." Lin Xue replied.
            "But at least I am grateful that you seem to understand this much better than they seem to." He flattered.
            "What about Lady Han?" Lin Xue asked and the latter halted in his steps, he stood their at the entrance and looked up at the sky before he'd descend the stairs to his carriage.
           "What about her?" He asked.
           "She was pleased when you gave Chenling a name, she had it scribbled down in the family registrar." Lin Xue replied.
            "I have been indifferent to her all my life." Han Touzhou remarked.
            "Is there truly no part of your heart that you could give her?" Lin Xue asked.
            "It's that sad, it's so disheartening, that's the cruel reality, you have borne more of my ailments and troubles if I were to cherish one more it would be you being the hands and feet that life has given me." Han Touzhou replied.
            Lin Xue looked down.
           "Tawan will love her, in loving her when he grows up he'll hate you." He said.
           "But I have you to trust." Han Touzhou replied, "I have you to understand what it means." He added.
           "Yes." Lin Xue replied.
           "My end will come too cruel, if there's one thing that I cherish, that boy Tawan isn't even my own flesh and blood to get him involved wouldn't I be too cruel?" Han Touzhou asked as he descended the stairs and got into the carriage while Lin Xue followed closely behind.
           Qing Yi rushing through the hallways she made her way towards the Empress' Chambers while she was accompanied by a retinue of attendants.
           "Your Highness it is I." She announced herself.
           "Come in." Empress Han said and heeding her command Qing Yi rushed up to her table and there she laid a book.
           "THE MANNER OF IMPERIAL WOMEN." It read.
           "What's this?" Empress Han inquired.
           "There Your Highness, this is Lady Yang." Qing Yi replied.
           "She means to lecture me about the manner of the women in the Palace?" Empress Han asked.
           "Over the past couple of days she's had these published and they were distributed throughout the harem and the palace in all sizes and different volumes, copies of these have even been smuggled out of the Palace." Qing Yi replied, "it seems that she's not just contending with your might as Empress, she's starting to treat herself as the Empress." She added.
           "How pathetic, on whose orders would she do such an atrocious deed?" Empress Han asked.
           "The public will call her a wonderful wifely figure and she's charitable Your Highness they continue to say, her support is very vast and at the same time I fear that it's only becoming harder we are left with one choice alone." Qing Yi said.
            "It seems she won't break soon enough." Empress Han said.
             "Haven't we been lenient on her enough?" Qing Yi asked.
            "Right now if we attack her the public will consider it jealousy, to the people they'll worship her as the Virtuous Empress Zhangsun of Tang I am merely a mother of a Prince that enjoys being at the top it seems that the wind has abandoned our fire." Empress Han muttered.
            "Your Highness isn't suggesting that we let her have her way as we obsess over watching her alone?" Qing Yi asked.
           "It's time that we fanned the fire we started before it gets extinguished." Empress Han replied.
           "How so Your Highness?" Qing Yi asked.
            "The people won't understand because the horror beyond the palace walls is merely a tale that could be over exaggerated and that's why she's provoking us, let's carry the horror to the people." Empress Han replied.
           "Give your orders Your Highness." Qing Yi said confidently.
           "How could His Majesty barely react to this?" Linxiang asked Lady Cao.
           "He loves Lady Yang so definitely there's so much that he would give up for her." She replied.
            "I hear that she's become quite popular." Linxiang muttered.
           "She's only exploiting the opportunity that has been thrown at her." Lady Cao replied.
            "Speaking of which how come until now the Empress has done nothing?" Linxiang inquired, "could it be that she's afraid?" She asserted.
            "She's no Bodhisattva so eventually her patience on top of wearing thin will run out and when it runs out she'll charge entirely at Lady Yang." Lady Cao said with a smile on her face, "all there is for us to do is to patiently wait on that opportunity and I assure you it isn't so far from now." She added.
            "Yes Ma'am." Linxiang replied.
            "The rooster announcing the new Dawn, the sun illuminating the sky scattered the darkness while a saffron firmament settled over the kingdom, the people from all around awakened and opening up their doors to the streets there were nearly hundreds of dead animals and birds, from nice to horses with bats and Ravens a massive fear stirred through them all soon it was the people themselves at arms.
            "The gods have forsaken us." They cried.
            "My roosters." Another grieved over their poultry the stalls had collapsed and some overturned the whole place was in turmoil.
             Emperor Ningzong still asleep in his Chambers the doors were flung open and Eunuch Deng made his way up to his bedside.
             "Your Majesty." He called to him and the young man opened his eyes to notice that he had been sweating profusely, his breathing had turned heavy and his hands were pale as well.
             "Are you alright Sire?" The old man asked.
             "Was I having a nightmare?" Emperor Ningzong inquired.
             "What was it that you saw?" Eunuch Deng inquired.
             "The City was in uproar and the people were demanding for Lady Yang's head." The Emperor replied and hearing those words Eunuch Deng looked down while the Emperor behind the silk curtain studied his rather awfully long face.
             "Something's not right." He muttered.
             "The Courtiers are here Your Majesty seeking an audience with you." Eunuch Deng said.
            "At last they break." Emperor Ningzong muttered as he smiled, "weren't they being cautious for the sake of keeping their heads?" He mocked.
           "Perhaps Your Majesty." Eunuch Deng replied, "it's just that I fear." He said.
           "What's there for you to fear?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
          "In the course of the night there seems to have been an unfortunate happening in the kingdom." He replied and the Emperor pushing aside his silk curtain he looked at him.
            "What do you mean to say?" He asked.
            "The animals and birds died in large numbers within the streets." Eunuch Deng replied.
           "They what?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
           "All that matters is that the masses are convinced that in deed the Lady Yang is cursed and it's their appeal that she should suffer the death of a witch." Eunuch Deng replied.
            "The Empress." Emperor Ningzong concluded furiously.
            "But what have we Your Majesty to prove that she's the mastermind?" Eunuch Deng inquired.
           "Is there another person that would benefit from this more than her that I should know?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
            "Your Majesty..." Eunuch Deng pleading on her behalf was silenced by his Emperor's gaze.
            "Prepare my Imperial Dragon Robes." He ordered.
            "Yes Your Majesty." Eunuch Deng replied.
            Xiaoyang rushing across the Courtyard she mounted the stairs that led to Lady Yang's Chambers until she halted outside the door.
           "Ma'am, it is I." She announced herself and Lady Yang seated in the darkness she agreed the latter had soon made her way through to where she was seated.
           "It's trouble Ma'am." She alerted her.
           "Perhaps the people have finally reacted." Lady Yang pointed out.
           "Yes Ma'am." Xiaoyang replied.
            "What did Her Highness do this time round?" She inquired.
             "In the course of the night there seems to have been an unfortunate happening in the kingdom as the animals and birds died in large numbers within the streets allegedly of a supernatural cause." Xiaoyang replied.
            "Isn't the Empress too good?" Lady Yang remarked. 
           "Ma'am, you should be worried about the people that are rather furious and this time round even Zhao Ruyu's ministers seem to have sided with Han Touzhou's clique they are all demanding an audience from their Emperor." Xiaoyang reminded her.
            "I knew that this was bound to happen one way or another." Lady Yang muttered.
            "But how come you are still silent Ma'am, you should be worried at the very least." Xiaoyang said.
            "The Empress might think herself to be very smart but she forgets one thing though and that's the fact that she's digging a grave right now but sadly enough for her she'll be the one burying herself soon." Lady Yang muttered.
            Emperor Ningzong charging towards the Grand Hall he was intercepted by the Empress Han and her retinue.
            "Your Majesty." She greeted him wearing a pale expression her eyes looked red and she seemed weak.
            "What are you doing here?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
           "I thought that I would see Your Majesty before you attempted to confront the Courtiers." Empress Han said as she coughed a bit heavily.
           "You were sick and you should have stayed in your Chambers." Emperor Ningzong remarked.   
           "I couldn't set my heart at ease learning that the people have gone to arms and they are speaking ill of Lady Yang, in the very least allow me to protect her yet again." Empress Han said.
           "And how do you intend to save her this time My Empress, shouldn't you at least satisfy my curiosity?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
           "The only way that the Inner Court can save her is by treating her a sinner of the Harem." Empress Han replied, "that way we would keep it is a family affair between us and exclude the world." She added.
           "Your Highness doesn't seem to understand the wrath of the people or perhaps is it so that you haven't yet felt the momentum of what's transpiring?" Emperor Ningzong asked.
           "Your Majesty, I shall protect Lady Yang as long as......" The Empress still speaking blood started to flow from her mouth and while she startled in his presence and fainted, Qing Yi and the rest of her attendants hurried over to her aid while the Emperor looked surprised.
           "Your Highness." They cried as the Emperor still shocked stood their silent it wasn't untill Lan He made it over to his presence.
           "We'd better go Your Majesty." He said to him and the latter nodding his head reluctantly he started out towards the Grand Hall.
            The Ministers already inside Eunuch Deng made his way to the front.
           "His Majesty deigns you all with His presence." He announced aloud and at that moment mounting the stairs that led to his Dragon throne the Emperor rested on it while the Courtiers bowed their head to him.
          "Your Majesty." They greeted him in unison while he halted them with his arm.
          "My very good fortune, in deed, my very great fortune it must be." He said.
           "Please don't be sarcastic Your Majesty." Han Touzhou remarked.
           "I'll presume I know the reason that you must have gathered here urgently." Emperor Ningzong said.
            "Your Majesty....." Minister Xie trying to speak the Emperor interrupted.
            "You must have heard well that these couple of days I wasn't feeling well and that shall cause me to inform you beforehand that even mg emotions aren't as stable I'll ask that we try to keep things civil, you can first start by telling me how and when and I shall respond only if the situation calls for it." Emperor Ningzong said.
            "Your Majesty must know everything and the people outside the palace are in turmoil." Officer Jiang asserted.
             "And you are one of the Bureau's most experienced talents I am surprised that you haven't solved the case of the Imperial Prince's missing lady in waiting and what's worse is that you can't seem to trace the source of these such poisonous rumours to uproot it." Emperor Ningzong scolded.
             "Pardon me Your Majesty." He apologized.
             "You want me to forgive your incompetency?" The Emperor lashed out at him.
             "My inadequacies can only make me feel sorry and nothing more in front of your Majesty but the natural deaths amongst the people's animals were as alarming." He defended himself.
              "And so you tell me in the capital that I enriched with a patrol of elite guards not one could notice before the sun rose in the sky that there were dead animals in the streets that could threaten the stability of our Great nation?" He questioned while the latter kept quiet.
             "Your Majesty." Han Touzhou speaking up.
             "I am merely asking for the sake of all of you what the case is?" He informed them.
             "We too wish that we were competent enough to defend the Lady Yang this is in deed Your Majesty's personal affair we won't tamper with any decision you'll make as the final say shall always come to you and it shall be yours alone, but the people need to be consoled and put in order." Han Touzhou said.
            "And that's what you shall do." Emperor Ningzong said.
            "Your Majesty.....?" Minister Xie stuttered.
            "You are the nation's greatest minds and I trust that you can handle this situation more efficiently than anyone else, find every possible way of protecting my family and you could as well in the long run help me restore order and stability to our Great nation." Emperor Ningzong said and smiling at him and the rest he stood up from where he was seated and descending the stairs from his throne he walked out of the Grand Hall and left all the others startled.
            The Empress lying on her bed the Imperial physicians tended to her and Qing Yi watching her she turned to the old man.
            "How is she?" She asked.
            "I suppose she's stressed and fatigued she'll require more rest and care." The physician replied.
            "We'll take care of her then." Qing Yi muttered.
            "I'll take my leave then." He said as he withdrew from the room and Qing Yi sure that he had gone she hurried over to the bedside with a piece of cloth which she handed over to the Empress who sat up and taking it she spat out something on it.
            "The pigeon's heart surely came in handy." She remarked.
             "But I heard that His Majesty refused to take direct action on the Lady Yang, as far as I know, he asked the Courtiers to calm the people." Qing Yi reported.
            "Who cares whether it's narrowed down to the Inner Court or not as long as the Lady Yang is dealt with I shall be both merciful to her in the eyes of the Emperor her supporters need to be provoked so that we can make things better." Empress Han said.
           "How so Ma'am?" Qing Yi inquired.
           "The Inner Court is mine to run and not the Emperor's, if the Empress raises a whip in the harem to strike it's ladies, even the Emperor by tradition lacks the power to intervene." Empress Han replied.
           Lady Yang seated in her quarters she waited patiently when Xiaoyang arrived.
           "Ma'am?" She said to her.
           "What happened?" Lady Yang inquired.
           "His Majesty turned to the Courtiers, they shall find means to silence the people." She added.
           "But it won't be effective." Lady Yang muttered as she raised her eyes to Xiaoyang, "the Empress shall give justification to this cause." She added.
            "How?" Xiaoyang inquired.
            "Using her powers, in the end only she can contain the people and that's by giving them a punishment they shall feel is sufficient enough." Lady Yang replied.
            "You have done nothing wrong Ma'am." Xiaoyang said.
            "How sure can you be?" Lady Yang asked and falling silent at that moment, one of her Ladies in waiting walked into the room.
            "Ma'am?" She cried aloud.
            "What's wrong?" Xiaoyang asked as she turned to her.
           "There's a group of attendants from the Central Palace seeking you out." The woman replied.
            "What?" Xiaoyang asked as she turned to look at Lady Yang who with hardly any reaction she immediately stood up.
            "Take me to them." She demanded.
             "No Ma'am." Xiaoyang tried to stop her but to no avail the young woman had already strode out of the room she got out of the building and situated herself at the top of the staircase that overlooked her small quadrangle.
            "Ma'am." Qing Yi said to her bowing her head the moment she locked her gaze on her.
             "Seeing that you made it here it must be to see me." Lady Yang said.
            "You missed out on the daily morning greeting more than enough and you are charged with irrefutable proof for intending to poison Her Highness the Empress."  Qing Yi replied.
           "Watch your mouth, that's no way for an attendant to speak to His Majesty's favourite." Xiaoyang scolded.
          "Bring it here." Qing Yi muttered and at once the Ladies in waiting bearing a tray with themselves they carried over a pair of Bangles which the young woman inspected.
          "You recall that you once gifted these to the Empress." She said.
           "Yes." Lady Yang replied.
           "Ma'am?" Xiaoyang hoped to stop her.
           "Very well." Qing Yi replied.
           "Aren't they just ordinary bangles?" Lady Yang inquired and Qing Yi picking up one of them she opened it and showed it to everyone.
           "These bangles are hollow and you'd guess what is contained in them." She said.  
           "What are you talking about?" Xiaoyang protested.
           "Contained in these bangles is cobra venom, not to mention jeopardizing the Imperial Prince's birthday you are guilty as charged and shall serve your punishment." Qing Yi assured them, "Take her." She ordered and all of them watching Lady Yang intensely she ghastly smiled at herself while Lady Yang without any protests she raised her hand at them.
            "I shall deliver myself." She spoke as she descended the stairs into their midst while they moved around her and paved way.