5

Prince Kumi glared at the damage on his woman's face.

"Ma, what happened to her?" Kumi queried.

Ma Faustina shrugged and spoke,"she disrespected me and I didn't allow her to get off the hook that easily."

"What did you do to her?" He asked, his nose, flaring in absolute anger.

"I slapped her." Ma Faustina replied.

"Your reason?" Kumi interrogated.

"People are starting to call her names because both of you are always busy in public, displaying those sick and annoying affection. Seriously, that lip thing, where did you learn it from?" Ma Faustina ranted.

"It is my way of showing your daughter how much I cherish and acknowledge her. How much I adore her." Kumi explained.

"Young man, let me warn you. The next time I catch both of you together, I will report you to the King himself and trust me, it is going to get nasty once I make up my own story." Ma Faustina threatened the couple.

"Obaa Afia, let's go." Ma Faustina pulled her daughter away. The couple looked at each other. Tears filled their eyes.

Why couldn't the people of Adukrom keep their mouths shut?

"My queen, my woman." Kumi called gently when they met later that night. Obaa Afia was quiet and wouldn't look at her lover in the eyes.

"I'm sorry, we will not kiss in public ever again. Just please, don't ignore me. My love, my life, please don't do this to me. Let's be one and take care of this problem together." Kumi pleaded.

Obaa Afia looked around then looked at him. She drew away from his warm embrace.

"I'm sorry, Kumi. I just don't want to have a problem with the queen. We have a mother-daughter relationship. I don't want her to think negative of me." Obaa Afia explained.

"I am so sorry." She said.

"Please, love. Don't give up on us so soon. I would love to have you as my wife, my queen." Kumi spoke.

Obaa Afia frowned. Kumi talked like the prince. Although she had never had any encounter with him, Kumi spoke the words of a true royal.

"Kumi, do you have parents?" She asked directly, not trying to hide her suspicion.

Kumi replied,"I do. Trust me, they love you."

Obaa Afia raised an eyebrow.

"Really? How is that possible? They don't know me yet." She said in disbelief.

"I talked to them about you when I visited them while I was away hunting." Kumi said, hoping that what he had said was okay.

"Sorry, Kumi. We are done." Obaa Afia spoke and walked into her hut.

Sadly, Kumi quietly went back to his hut.

Kumi was in his hut when he was summoned by his parents.

"Greetings, mother. Greetings, father." He bowed politely.

"Greetings, my son. You look even more handsome than before. Where have you been? Who is behind your glow?" Ohemaa Asabea asked teasingly.

Kumi smiled at his mother.

"We actually called you here to inform you about your betrothed. She is the Princess of Amanfrom. She is beautiful and well cultured. She would love to meet you and share a bond with you." Ohene asked.

Kumi was stunned.

"Father. With all due respect, father, both of you gave me the chance long time ago to court any woman my heart desired." The old couple nodded.

"Well I did find her and trust me, she is the best queen and wife material I could ever wish for. Sorry, I cannot marry my betrothed." Kumi explained briefly.

"But she will be arriving by the end of the week. How do you expect us to tell her such a thing?" Ohemaa Asabea asked.

"Then why did you give me the opportunity to court a maiden from this village?" Kumi asked.

"We wanted to give you the chance to socialize with the commoners." Ohene spoke.

"Excuse me, I have to go." Kumi said after a while of complete silence then walked out.

Ma Faustina stared at her daughter as she cracked nuts. The woman had lost her glow and she looked very moody.

For a moment, she was tempted to let go of her daughter.

"Obaa Afia." She looked at her mother.

"How is that young man?" Ma Faustina asked. It's been a few days since she last saw the couple together.

"I don't know, we decided not to see each other again." Obaa Afia replied. Trying to ignore the heartache.

"Oh." That was all Ma Faustina could say.

"Good day." The two women raised their heads to see the hunter who was always after Obaa Afia.

The young man named Nana put his stuff down and picked up the gift he brought to the younger woman.

"Obaa Afia, I got you something." Nana said.

Obaa Afia replied,"I don't want anything from you." Nana was taken aback.

"Why?" He asked.

"Look, whatever your name is, I don't want to have anything with you. I don't like you. Please leave me alone."

Obaa Afia spoke without any remorse laced in her voice.

Nana clenched his jaw while he scoffed and shook his head. "After everything I did to make you happy, this is how you repay me, isn't it?" He said with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

"You knew I never wanted you in the first place yet you kept chasing me. Blame yourself for the pain you're feeling right now."

Obaa Afia retorted. "Obaa Afia!" Nana roared and raised his hand, causing her to glare at him and take a dangerous step forward.

"You were about to hit me." She spoke in a dangerously low tone. Ma Faustina raised her eyebrow at the young man.

So this was how he was going to treat her daughter if he had married her?

Hm, Kumi better come for his woman before someone else deceived her into marrying him.

"Hit me." Obaa Afia fearlessly dared the man before her. "I dare y-." She didn't finish her words because Nana's heavy attacking palm came charging at the lady's cheek with full force.

"Obaa Afia!" Ma Faustina called out in shock and fright.

"How dare you? How dare you raise your hand on my woman?!"