Chapter 3: Jay and Everest POV

When I finally got home from school, I collapsed onto my bed. My cat meowed at me curiously.
"I just had my first day of High School," I said to her.
"It was pretty good, my teachers were nice," I continued.
She looked at me for a second, then began to groom herself. I laughed to myself. I turned on the TV and was about to tune it to Disney Channel when something on the news caught my eye.
"Local high school, WaterCrest High School, opens it's doors to new teachers! Most notably, Sebastian Machelevi! Sebastian never went to college to be a teacher, and was a biochemist until he found an interest in education. Even with no degree, he was accepted into the school and miraculously-" I quickly changed the channel. It's silly, but I don't like long words. They're overwhelming, I guess. I shook my head to clear the thoughts, turned on That's So Raven, and leaned back.

The next day in Miss Davis' class, she told us that in Social Studies we were going to learn about about American history, and to 'turn and talk' with our neighbors about what we already knew.
"Not much, really," I told Nova.
"I know some stuff, and I know about the Civil War, but I'm not an expert," she said.
"Okay, now turn your attention back to me." Miss Davis said, all teacher-like. "Everest, what do you know about American history?"

                         •Everest POV•
Of course she chose me.
"Well, I know there was colonies. And a a war," I said with a shrug.
"Yes! We'll start of at the beginning, in England. Anyone know the founding fathers?" Some kids began humming songs from Hamilton.
"Hamilton was one!" Jay said.  Miss Davis nodded, then looked around. "Who have I not called on?" Several hands shot up. Miss Davis looked down at her seating chart.
"Dylan Machalevi, what do you know about the Civil War?"

Machalevi? Like the science teacher?

"Well." He began. "I know there was fighting between the north and the south." Then he frowned and turned his nose up snobbishly. "But I'm even more knowledgeable in the science field. My dad is Mr. Machalevi, and-"
Miss Davis cut him off. "You can tell us all about it later." Bringgggg! "That's the bell, you all are free to go." I got up from my seat and picked up my backpack.
I was surprised to find that several other kids from Social Studies went to the same science as me. At least four, including Dylan.
I already knew I didn't like him.