12. Señorita

Señorita

"Have you ever been to a live concert? Did you like it?"

"Don't spoil the day, Arse. Of course, I've been to concerts. I've been in VIP rooms and backstage at concerts. You don't impress me with a kitchen chair in the first row of some Flamenco act in a dark café."

"Don't underestimate me, Chelsea. You know I can do better than that. I was talking about a concert in the Plaza de Toros, in front of 50.000 people, all crazy to see Spain's biggest star."

"Who's that? Julio Iglesias?"

"I was thinking about someone more your age. We're going to a concert by Abraham Mateo."

"Duh. Who's he?"

"Check him on your phone."

Abraham Mateo needs no introduction. He sings, he dances, and he's cute. Almost every teenage girl in Spain likes Abraham Mateo. Even I like Abraham Mateo. I can't imagine Chelsea not liking him.

"He's cute. His music is nice too. I like this song, «Señorita». It's «Miss» in Mexican, right? Okay, watching him on stage seems like a nice end to a nice day."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Señorita, but we're talking about my mission here. Nice endings aren't in my script. I like awesome endings. What do they say in your country? It ain't over until the fat lady sings? We have one last little detail waiting for us, for you: you'll have to sing. We're going backstage, and you're going to be part of the backing vocals during the last three songs. You have... twenty minutes to learn the music. During the singing, you can hide your phone in the palm of your hand so you can keep up with the lyrics and your part in them. Do you think that's too much to ask from a talented girl like you?"

"I'm going to sing?"

"Yes."

"On stage?"

"Yes."

"In front of 50.000 people?"

"In front of 50.000 crazy fans, most of them teenage girls like you, who will be yellowish jealous and green with envy because you'll be there on stage, singing the backing vocals with THE coolest hottest artist of Spain and Latin America. I'm surprised you've never heard of Abraham Mateo."

Suddenly, we are in a hurry. Chelsea has only twenty minutes to learn those three songs. She wants to take this seriously. You can't be on stage in front of 50.000 crazy teenage fans without knowing your lines.

Can you?

* * *

I've seen this show before, in Barcelona, early April this year. Chelsea didn't, but she has studied the videos like mad. With her microphone somewhat lower in the mixing, she doesn't disturb the party. So far...

She sings like a chainsaw, but at a live concert, nobody cares about the quality of the music. Finally, the last song starts, «Sexy señorita». Chelsea's part is over. The backing vocals leave the stage. Abraham moves towards the audience and does some amazing acrobatic dancing while he sings: "Ven hacia mi, se mi mamasita. Need a big girl, not a chiquitita..."

That other show was different from this one.

That other show didn't have Chelsea in the backing vocals.

Chelsea doesn't leave the stage with the other girls.

Chelsea is a big girl, not a chiquitita like the other singers, and Abraham just asked her to come to him.