Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE;sidney prescott's defense squad

CHAPTER FIVE;
sidney prescott's defense squad

The Riley house was quiet in the morning, except for the low buzz of the television and the voices leaking out from it. Sidney had hardly spoke, only offering a few quiet thank yous and nods to Mrs Riley, Tatum, Dewey, and Natasha.

"Sidney Prescott, who escaped a vicious attack last night, is the daughter of Maureen Prescott," a male reporter said on the television. His voice leaked in and out of focus. Natasha's eyes flickered to Sidney, who was scraping butter against a piece of toast. Her eyes lacked the sparkle that had slowly been reigniting itself from the ashes left by Cotton Weary. "Who was brutally killed last year when convicted murderer Cotton Weary broke into their home and savagely raped and tortured the deceased."

Tatum's hand reached forward and clasped Sidney's shoulder, running her fingers back and forth over her shoulder blades. Sidney's arm halted as instinct took over at the mention of Cotton Weary. A breath shook itself out of her mouth in a dizzying spiral, she looked down.

"Cotton Weary is currently awaiting appeal for the death sentence," the reporter continued. "Handed down after the young Sidney testified against him. She was the key witness in the State's case against-"

Natasha reached out to the side and grabbed the remote. She switched it off, stopping the man's commentary and dim background buzz of the television. Silence invaded the kitchen as Dewey sat down next to the girls.

"It's never gonna stop, is it?" Sidney asked, with a chuckle tipping out of her mouth at the end. Her hands played in her lap, fingers slipping through air to focus on anything, but the sensation at the back of her mind.

Dewey spoke. "Billy was released."

His words resonated in Natasha's ears, stopping her breath from coming out. A loud beat of silence passed between the five in the room. Her eyes widened slightly and a sickly feeling crawled over the back of her throat. Bile, bile, bile, bile-

"His cellular bill was clean. He didn't make those calls." Dewey explained to Sidney. Her mouth was clamped shut in an everlasting scream, beg, plead. Her eyes dimmed as he continued. "We're checking every cellular account in the county. Any calls to you or Casey Becker are being cross-referenced. It's going to take some time, but we'll find him."

Natasha noticed Sidney's fidgeting hands beneath the table, her half-buttered toast being ignored. Tatum playfully tapped her balled-up knuckle against Sidney's arm, whilst she made eye contact with Natasha from across the table.

"You okay?" She asked.

Sidney's mouth faltered. Her eyes jerked down towards the table.

"It'll be okay, Sid." Natasha comforted reassuringly with a small smile.

---

Woodsboro High School was surrounded by numerous police cars and officers lined up outside the gates. This included Dewey, who had pulled up outside in his uniform. The three girls climbed out of the back of his car hesitantly.