Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN;three and it's a serial killer

CHAPTER SEVEN;
three and it's a serial killer

"That's batshit crazy!" Cassie exclaimed with an open mouth. "Picking between Harvard and Yale was supposed to be the hardest part of my teenage years. But no. That would be too easy. We have to survive a wannabe freaking horror movie, instead."

Natasha's eyes rolled amusedly at her best friend's hand waving back-and-forth in the air. Cassie's eyes softened. "Look, Natty, are you okay?"

Natasha's hand paused suddenly, her fork rested in the air. "It was just a phone call, Cass."

"A phone call with a creepy ass killer."

"We don't even know if it was the killer," Natasha reminded her with a sharp stare. "It was probably just some random kid."

The blonde stared back at her. The stare was sceptical and unconvinced, with a mountain of dubiety buried underneath. Cassie could read Natasha like the back of her palm. They were weaved into one golden thread that laced the corners of the sun and moon — warmth spread through the golden thread and allowed it to spark contagiously. Constellations were threaded together with their string of gold that leaked into the sky and touched the earth through falling stars because that's what they were. Falling stars that had been tied together with a piece of fair, yellow fibre.

"If you're sure." Cassie stared at her pointedly. "Now, eat your strawberries."

Natasha scrunched her eyebrows together before looking back down to her bowl of scarlet-tinted strawberries. She liked the colours red and green. Red was passion, love, and home all strewn together and tied up nicely with a neat vibrant bow placed on top. Red was the chamber of a person's heart. Green reminded her of nature — specifically grassy foliage and fields full of rebirth in the spring — and the wish of luck. The sweetness given to the world by strawberries was just an extra kindness in her opinion, and her taste buds were especially thankful for that kindness. She picked one up and squashed it between her teeth with a smile planted on her face. The delicious hues and flavours burst on her tongue and leaked towards the back of her mouth in a sultry waltz. 

"Your mom buys good strawberries." Natasha commented as she picked another up gleefully. 

"I don't know, I prefer grapes." Cassie replied with a hesitant glance towards the strawberries littering Natasha's bowl. 

"Is that because Kevin prefers grapes?" Natasha grinned.

Cassie's fork dropped from her hand and hit the dining table. Blood rushed into her cheeks like spilled wine and champagne pink. Her eyes shone at the mention of Kevin and her cheeks were infused with colour. Honesty sat inside her rosy cheeks. "Kevin likes oranges."

Natasha laughed. 

"Okay, fine, you win!" Cassie sighed and sat up straighter. "Kevin asked me on a date. Tomorrow night."