Epilogue

EPILOGUE:
HEARTBREAKER

.◍_—_◍.

"IT'S BEEN LESS THAN FORTY-EIGHT HOURS since a 7.4 magnitude earthquake rocked the quaint town of Hawkins, 80 miles outside of Indianapolis, in an event that seismologists are calling 'a natural disaster of near-unprecedented scale.'"

Dustin sighed at the news guy, grabbing the spare box from the Wheeler's kitchen and walking outside with the radio, "You guys might wanna hear this," he says, stepping on his tip-toes to put it on top of Nancy's car.

"The death toll now stands at 22. But with hundreds more filling Roane County hospitals and many more still missing, officials expect those numbers to rise." Steve gave Robin a shirt, telling her that it goes in the little boy's box. Dustin walked over and gave them the spare box and taking the shirt from Robin.

"Dustin, what the hell's this depressing crap?" Steve asked, rummaging through another box to sort things through.

Dustin rolled his eyes, "Don't you want to hear the results of our efforts?"

"Considering that our efforts almost ended the world," Steve emphasized quietly, looking around for any strangers that might be listening in to their conversation and grabbing another piece of clothing in his hand, "Not really." he chucked the shirt at Dustin's face, who lunged back in surprise.

"This is only the latest tragedy to befall this once-safe town. Most recently, a string of high school students were killed in a series of ritualistic murders, which have been linked to the local basketball teams leader, Jason Carver." Dustin raised his eyebrows at the two dumbfounded teenagers, raising his shoulders with that look on his face that meant he was right all along,

"See? Results of our efforts."

Steve shook his head and Robin let out a breath, "That Frankie's crazy." she looked to Steve, pointing at the radio, "Did you hear them? Jason Carver."

"Locals report that Jason Carver had spread rumors about an after-school club of Hawkins High, Hellfire. And the police say that there is nothing to worry about—and that these are simply rumors that have been officially proven false and if you heard of these rumors yourself—you and your children should dismiss them, as again, they have been proven to be false."

Dustin smiled at this news, finally able to wear his club shirt again without being afraid of being killed on the spot—and more importantly, Eddie Munson wouldn't be blamed for all of this.

"Jason Carver has been missing since the earthquake and is presumed dead. But this offers little comfort to the people of Hawkins, who are scared, angry, and searching for answers. Why their town? What have they done to deserve so much suffering?" Most of them rolled their eyes at this, "A growing chorus believes the two recent tragedies are linked, claiming the Carver killings opened a doorway between worlds. A doorway, they say, into hell itself."

"They should come interview us," Robin said, sorting yet another object, "Then they'll learn a little something about a doorway to hell."

Nancy shook her head at her as she approached the group with yet another box full of belongings, reaching over her car to turn off the radio, "The only doorway to hell that we know is your rambling, Miss Buckley. Remember?" she said, and Robin gasped,

"Nancy Wheeler. Did you just call me un-standable?"

Karen Wheeler, Nancy's mom, made her way over to them, observing something in the distance, "Hey, did somebody order pizza?"