Chapter One

🎶 Turn and face the strange, ch-ch-changes 🎶 —David Bowie

DAY 1

Gina woke with a start on a sidewalk in an urban area. She had a pounding headache and her throat was as dry as sandpaper.

"Where... Where am I?" She clutched her head and stood, taking in her surroundings. Maybe...  Neo Chikajo? She froze. If this was really Neo Chikajo, then she was lucky to be alive. The crime rate here was legendary— wait. How do I know that? I— That was when she realized she remembered nothing. No no no no no— Calm down, Gina, calm down. I'll probably remember soon... but soon night fell, and she still remembered nothing.

————————————————————————————————————

DAY 2

Crash!

Gina came awake with a startled yelp, then looked around to see what had caused the noise— a falcon, flying just out of sight, had dropped something. She scrabbled to see what it was, fumbling for the strange shape in the dark of the alley. Finally, she found something— a large package. I'll open it tomorrow... I've got to get some sleeeeeeep...

————————————————————————————————————

DAY 3

Gina woke with a sleepy yawn, hungry as hell. Ahhh... I need to eat... She emptied her pockets, hoping to find cash, but there was only trash. She threw it out at the nearest trash can and went back to her alley, ready to finally open the box. She didn't have a box cutter, so she had to pry it open with her bare hands. At last, she had gotten the tape off! she flung the box open, hoping for food, but what she saw was rather... confusing. At the top, a letter, with her name written on it in fancy lettering, and on the bottom, several different outfits and a gorgeous party dress. What the hell? She opened the letter, confused. Why would someone send clothes? What Gina really needed was food and water, and a hot bath... ok, fine, and clean clothes were also nice to have. But still! Priorities! the letter read:

Dear Ms. Scott,

     you are cordially invited to Archalus Academy, a school for those who are not afraid of the truth. It is located deep in the woods, and the falcon who delivered this will guide you there. Once you reach your destination, please feed Bowie the attached treats (Bowie is the falcon).

Gina had to steady herself against the alley wall to prevent from falling. A school! As in, food! Water! Friends! Shelter! And most importantly, answers!

————————————————————————————————————

DAY 4

It was the next day when the falcon came for her. She swerved just overhead, leading Gina to the nearby woods, deeper and deeper in until it became rather dark and scary. Finally, they reached a beautiful little waterfall and a small building. Oh my God... Gina nearly dropped her box. It was gorgeous, graystone-style architecture meshed with a what appeared to be an old farm and sitting on top of the cliff. There was a watermill that the river supplying the waterfall flowed through, bringing up bucket after bucket of water and occasionally catching fish. The whole setup was just beautiful. The stones shone silver in the moonlight, and deer and rabbits grazed in the fields surrounding the little bubble of beauty. Where everything else in the forest was dead and wilting, the academy provided a feeling of warmth and saftey. Bowie squawked happily and accepted the treats Gina gave her, then bobbed her head towards the building and flew in through a window. I guess now it's time I go in...

"Yeah, but you can wait a minute if you want."

A/N: Gasp! Who could this be...? Another student? Archalus? CAN BOWIE SPEAK? I guess you'll have to wait and see...