Chapter Two

Day 4

Gina whirled around, startled.

"Who are— what did you— how did you—" The boy standing in front of her laughed, then flashed her a grin.

"That's the reaction I generally get. The name's Locus. Locus Lyght." Gina just stood there, jaw hanging down. She quickly regained her composure, then reluctantly asked,

"Did you... Did you just read my mind?" The boy— Locus— just grinned again. That was when Gina really got a good look at him for the first time. He wore a similar uniform to the one she had found in her box— white collared shirt, black pants, a blue and yellow belt, and matching tie— but a lot... sloppier. His shirt was untucked, his tie was tied wrong, and his dirty-blonde hair was mussed and tangled, yet he was still oddly good looking.

"I know, right? That's the first thing everyone notices about me— I can pull off anything!" He said with a dramatic flourish. "Unless, of course, they think that i'm slovenly. They're wrong— I put a lot of thought into my appearance." Somehow I don't believe that... Now he just looked amused. "Gasp! Really?" Gina snorted.

"Yes, really." Self-absorbed prick— Oops, now he just looks sad.

"I am... many things— uh, Gina— but a prick is not one of them. Prankster? Yes. Idiot? Yes. Self proclaimed most attractive boy on God's green earth? Definitely. But a prick? No." Suddenly Gina felt bad— she didn't need to be a mind reader to know that Locus was genuinely hurt. 

"Sorry. Should we go in now?" He nodded and walked in with her. What Gina assumed was the main dining hall inside the building was even cooler than the outside— because it looked like the outside. The floor was packed dirt, sprouting tall grass and flowers, while the ceiling was a beautiful, ever-shifting tiled mosaic of the night sky. For tables, trail-marker trees, decked out with lanterns hanging from every other branch and hand-woven grass mats for tablecloths. Chairs were elegantly twisted tree saplings and stumps. At the back, a stage of polished wooden spirals supporting wooden boards just off the ground was covered in vines. Dominating the scene was a massive podium that had grown out of the floor and been cut and shaped to hold books and papers. Even Locus was dazed by the sheer beauty of the scene.

"Good God, it's beautiful!"

"Indeed it is, boy." Locus and Gina whipped around to face an elderly man, probably in his early seventies. Somehow, they both instinctively knew who it was.

Archalus David.