Chapter Five

Day 5

Gina woke up in a small room with dark wooden walls, sitting on one of ten cots. She groaned and clutched her head as all the previous day's events came rushing back. As her surroundings came into focus, she noticed Archalus entering the room.

"Hello, Gina. It appears I have much to explain." He sat down on a stool next to her. "You see, Saroa was my good friend... and your mother. You were genetically engineered to have more than one ability, though we can't be sure which, and also to be very strong and smart. Your father, unfortunately, cannot be revealed to you— and no, it isn't me. Saroa was meant to raise you at an outpost on the other end of the Michikgon Lake. We checked on her regularly, but then she told us to stop. She said that she was being watched. We never saw her again." Gina's eyes widened.

"Is all that... is that true?" Archalus nodded solemnly.

"The nurse said that if you feel better, you may begin classes with your fellow students." Gin stood up.

"Who are the other students?"

"Locus Lyght is the runaway son of a cruel general in Dictator Marchus's army. He has seen firsthand the cruelty of the Dystopia. Cecil Boa was constantly beaten and thrown out of the house in fear that her abilities over water would be discovered. Irene Malla is still testing for abilities. We found her in an orphanage. She was very... insistent... in the... horrors of the system. Bea Salla is also still testing for abilities. She was alone, wandering the streets, and found us. And Vyranoa Rendea... Vyranoa was being ravaged by shadow monsters when we saved her." Gina sucked in a breath.

"That's awful! Are they all ok now?" Archalus nodded.

"Now, i'll show you to your new quarters and introduce you to your fellow students, and then we're going to talk about rules... and pets."