Chapter Twenty-Two

It would be a massive understatement to say that Ajax was upset by this sudden turn of events. The sun now hung high in the sky, yet neither of you have had a chance to sleep a wink.

After the announcement of Ajax's sudden relocation, it's been a whirlwind of packing, last minute apologies, and sudden nautical arrangements.

The first issue that had to be tackled was the hardest.

Ajax rested his forehead on your shoulder in resignation as he spoke, "I want to bring you with me, but I can't. The Sakoku Decree won't permit any non-Fatui to enter Inazuma."

"It's not your fault," you reply, but there's a lump in your throat. It always feels like the world is trying to tear you apart, placing oceans and mountains between the both of you.

"I'll get you a boat to anywhere in Teyvat that you need. Do you want to go back to Liyue? I can have Mister Zhongli meet you at the docks and help with accommodations."

You bite your lip for a moment, mulling over the options in your mind, and eventually shake your head. There's only one place you'd like to wait for Ajax to return.

"It's time for me to go back. To Morepesok."

A stoic look comes over Ajax's face as he processes your words, but you see the understanding in his eyes. He's occupied with hushed conversations and long sighs for the rest of the night, and though Ajax insists that you try and sleep a few hours, you're far too wired to get any rest.

Now that the morning has broken dawn, all that's left to be done is another painful goodbye. Two Fatui agents stand at your sides as you wait on the boarding ramp of the large boat that's going to take you back to Morepesok. Ajax arrives a few minutes before the boat is set to leave, dismissing the agents with a harsh glare. It's not often that you get the chance to see exactly how Ajax handles his subordinates, but it's no doubt that he acts quite a bit differently when acting as a Harbinger.

Honestly, it only makes his treatment towards you feel all the more sweet.

"I'm sorry," Ajax apologises for the thousandth time in the last twelve hours.

"It's okay, 'Jax, please don't feel guilty. It's not your fault."

Ajax reaches into his pocket and pulls out a woollen hat. He shoves it into your hands.

"It's cold back home. Dragonspine was similar, but there are some brutal snow storms out in Morepesok."
"I have been there before, Ajax. I remember."
"I know. I'm sorry. I don't want to leave you like this."

Ajax is about to reach his hands up and run a nervous hand down his face, but you grab at the sleeve of his jacket to stop him.

"I don't want to leave you either. But I'll be okay. Before you know it, you'll be back to me, and we can have a snowball fight with your siblings, and cuddle in front of a fireplace. I'll even light it myself," you assure him. You smile but it's a little bit wobbly.

Ajax sighs and drops some of the tension from his shoulders, "I'll come back soon, I promise. Even if I have to move mountains. Even if I have to abolish the Sakoku Decree with my own two hands."
You snort out a laugh, but there are already silent tears streaming down your face. You really tried to keep it together, but this hurt so much. You've been forced to say goodbye far too many times already.

"Please, don't cry," Ajax pleads, wiping your tears away gently.

"How can I not?"
Ajax quickly scans your surroundings, then leans down, searing your lips in a burning kiss. It manages to stop your shallow sobs immediately.

"Go and settle in on the boat. You're going to be leaving soon," Ajax prompts.

You agree, and press one last kiss to Ajax's cheek before you walk the rest of the way up the boarding ramp. There's the feeling of motion under your feet soon after, and you realise that the journey home is finally beginning. You run to the edge of the boat, and gaze upon Mondstadt one last time as the ship pulls away.