The Right Path

The sky was white. The day was calm. The world itself was still but not silent. Lisa had slept most of the way, for there were miles and miles of distance between them and the TOS. "Wake up Lisa." Said Hen quietly, almost whispering to her, not that she would ever understand his tone.

"Yes, father." Answered Lisa now wide awake, looking up at him. Lisa sat quietly beside her father in the front passenger seat, glancing at him, then the window, him then the window and finally straight ahead. The drive was long and silent. Hen had often thought about his mistakes in life, but none were more penetrating or painful a thought than the one of his daughter. He turned his gaze only slightly to spot her in the corner of his eye, sitting upright staring out into the windshield. Everything was quiet, but not all quiet things are settling. Hen often troubled himself with the thoughts of his past, but that was before Charlene came into his life. Hen was a complicated man with a troubled past, but no matter how hard he was to crack, Charlene had always figured out how to break away that shell. She was always loving, kind, and patient with him, no matter how much trouble or danger she'd have to put up with. "Father, where are we?" Asked Lisa, finally breaking the silence. Hen had only taken two seconds to realise what she had said, but it didn't add up. The serum, he had done her injection. He knew that for himself. It wasn't possible. She shouldn't have been able to ask such a question, or any question at all for that matter. Unless--unless maybe, just maybe there was still a chance that free will still existed within her subconscious--maybe, but he'd have to be sure. Still the thought of his daughter still having what little free will she had clung to gave just a little spark of hope in the old scientist's heart. That was a feeling of safety and security. That was a feeling that Hen had not felt about anyone else for the longest time, except Charlene. Oh, he could remember--when they were young and in love, they were simply the happiest couple. All his life, Hen had had nothing but the fear and the danger of the TOS to look out for. People like Hen had a dangerous life to live--always hiding from those who would do no more than to strike pain and fear into their minds and bodies. That was his struggle through and through, but Charlene never gave up on him. She had always seen something special in him, and she refused to let it go. No matter what his presence caused, danger or security, she'd always stuck by him, even in times of crisis. After Charlene's death, that had always been a debt to her that he could never repay. Never could another soul give him again what she had given him.

"Oregon." Replied Hen, finally responding to his daughter's question. "Scotts Mills, Oregon. I'm taking you there to live with your aunt, Mékai. She will be waiting for us there."

"My aunt?" Answered Lisa back to her father, turning to spot him.

"Yes, your-" paused Hen thinking to himself again. "You might not remember her well, but you will follow her orders from now on. She is............she's your aunt." Paused Hen again sighing.

"Yes father." Replied Lisa softly leaning against the passenger door window as she drowsily tried to keep her eyes open.

'She has been up for the last week straight.' Thought Hen to himself. He knew he would be taking a huge risk at this, but Hen knew if he had any chance of keeping her safe, he would have to take it. No matter the risk. He had nearly drove himself mad planning an escape that couldn't be tracked. He knew if he refused to do Lisa's injection himself that the other lab coats would never trust him alone with her again; Hen also knew the lab better than any of the other scientists. He had planned ahead for months to give Lisa the temporary serum, and he knew there was only one person who could reverse its affects, Mekai Hitoshi, the only person who could ever match Hen's abilities in power an  strength.