Back to the Grind

In what seemed like the blink of an eye, winter break was over, and it was back to Hogwarts. With the match against Ravenclaw coming up the second weekend after their return, Jamie had the Gryffindor team practicing every morning in preparation.

He even got special permission from McGonagall for them to hit the pitch before the sun came up. It was still in the middle of winter and even Jamie himself was half frozen by the end of it.

No one was particularly thrilled, to say the least.

James and Roger complained endlessly about the lack of sleep. Chris was too tired to complain, though he had taken to randomly spouting off facts about hypothermia. Even Remus and Alan often expressed their displeasure at being out in the cold so often and so long.

Daisy was the only one who seemed unbothered with the arrangement, which surprised no one. While she wasn't fanatical by any means, she had the ability to put up with just about anything her older brother threw at her when it came to Quidditch training.

And Jamie had a manic glint that had set in his brown eyes as soon as his sight fell on the Quidditch pitch. Almost as though he could see them winning the Cup.

An unfortunate side effect of this was that there was now no spare time for Daisy and Chris to sneak off to the tower. In the first week back, they managed twice but could only spare about 15 to 20 minutes. On top of practice, many of the professors had decided to welcome the students back with stacks of homework. Often the common room would be ull with students writing essays and solving problems late into the night.

And though she wanted to complain just as much as everyone else on the team, Daisy kept going by reminding herself it would all be worth it when they won the cup in May.

And that they would get a break after the Ravenclaw match.

She just needed to make it through the next match.

Halfway through the second week back, all the hours of practice and homework had finally caught up to her and Daisy found herself dozing off over her plate during lunch

Halfway through the second week back, all the hours of practice and homework had finally caught up to her and Daisy found herself dozing off over her plate during lunch. The loud thud of the triplets sitting across from her woke her up with a start.

"The fanged geranium can be used in potions that help regrow teeth," she recited, sitting straight up.

She blinked a bit before realizing she wasn't in class while her brothers laughed loudly and Lucy and Toby chuckled from either side of her.

"That was last week. We're on to learning about moly now," Lucy said, poking her cousin.

Daisy scowled at her and returned to eating.

"Why would you two let me fall asleep during lunch?" she asked.

"Didn't want to disturb you. Looked like you were having a good dream there for a bit. You were smiling," Toby said, grinning.

"Whatever were you dreaming about, Pixie?" Remus asked good-naturedly as he started filling his plate.

Daisy's cheeks turned slightly pink as she kept her eyes down on her plate, concentrating on spearing a piece of broccoli.