XII

"I'm starving," Lucy declared, as Boudicca arrived back at the jetty.

If your stomach has been trained to expect meals at regular times, it complains when it's given an early breakfast and lunch, then misses out on tea. And Lucy was discovering the keenness of appetite that comes from being in the fresh air all day.

"When we take the picnic basket back, they'll get us some tea in the kitchen," Eden said, tying the painter to a cleat.

"Shouldn't we take the sail down or something?" Lucy asked.

"The boat master will take care of that," Eden replied, stepping onto the jetty. "I always leave Boudicca neat and tidy, but honestly, Lowern likes to do everything himself. I've given up trying to leave her ready to stow in the boathouse for the night."

The girls picked up the basket, and carried it between them towards the castle. Lucy's legs felt wobbly, and she stumbled as they walked up the gravel drive. It was if she could still feel the movement of the boat under her, or the water itself. Her body felt strangely light and empty, almost as if it was fading away, yet she was dragging her feet in exhaustion.

"You're still getting your land legs back," Eden said. "Walking helps, and you'll feel better after you've had a cup of tea."

"Eden, can you learn about sailing from books?" Lucy asked, thinking that her question might be a naïve one.

Eden nodded. "Well, at least the theory behind it. I can lend you Small Boat Management by J.F. Egbert, to begin with."

"Thanks. Do you read stories about sailing?"

"All the time. What kind of stories do you read?"

"Ones about adventures, and runaways, and magic, and horses," said Lucy. "My favourite books are Moonlight on Mystery Marsh, The Outlaws of Brampton Wood, When Laura Disappeared, The Enchanted Garden, and The Yuletide Pony."

"I like ones about adventures, and ships, and islands, and pirates," Eden said. "My favourite books are The Sea Wasp, Shipwrecked in the Caribees, Buccaneer Island, Hurricane in Barbados, and The Seven Voyages of Sam the Sailor."

"Have you read Escape to Secret Island by Edith Burton?" Lucy asked.

"Is it any good?"

"It's wonderful," said Lucy. "About some children who run away from their cruel guardian and live on an island by themselves for more than a year. I brought it with me to read again."

"Can I borrow it?"

The two girls talked about books all the way back to the castle, with plans to swap their favourite novels, and read three chapters apiece each night.

Lucy privately decided that she would only continue The Adventures of Princess Lucinda when she had done some studying on the sea and ships, as she feared making an error Eden would pour scorn upon. Most of all, she couldn't wait for her tea. She was dreadfully hungry and thirsty.  

That night, after reading the first three bloodcurdling chapters of Buccaneer Island, Lucy lay in bed, as if she was still on her back in the lake. Her head spun slightly, she could feel herself drifting upon the water, and wriggled her toes in contentment. The blankets were as warm as sunshine, she was floating into sleep, as lightly as a mayfly skimming across the lake. 

Notes

The name Lowern is from the Brittonic word for "fox". There are similar male names in Celtic and Gaelic languages from the same derivation. 

Have fun deciphering the real world equivalents of Lucy and Eden's favourite books!