XXI

King Meriadoc had laid out a feast for his guests, and Bernard put away salmon pie, lamb cobbler, apple tansy, and sticky toffee pudding smothered in fresh cream with every sign of enjoyment. He was now drinking rum punch, and listening to King Meriadoc's bard, Bree Le Fay, sing one of the castle's most popular ballads while she played her harp.

In Avalon
The island of sweet delight
I spied a ship a sailing thence
To bring back a cup of starlight 

Perhaps it was the rum punch, but Bernard felt much happier about leaving Lucy in Westmoreland for the summer. It all seemed to have gone rather well, even though Dorothea had said it was a barbaric practice, and why couldn't Lucy meet someone naturally, as she had? (Bernard was too tactful to say he didn't want Lucy to wait until she was in her thirties to marry).

 Sybil had refused to let Clarissa be sent away to meet any marriage prospects until she was on the cusp of eighteen, for her birthday was barely three weeks away now. Her eighteenth birthday party, to be held in Everwick, would also be her betrothal party. 

A letter from King Meriadoc was still folded up in Bernard's pocket:

... Nothing would be easier, Bernard. Lucy is welcome to stay as long as she wishes. It's a pleasure having her here, and she is a charming girl. I'm glad to hear how much she loves the Lakelands, and Eden is happy to have a companion for the summer. 

I know people say I have spoiled her, but nobody is so loyal and true as my Eden. She doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve, but from what I know of my daughter, I believe she is quite taken with Lucy. Of course, it is early days yet, there is no reason to rush them into anything before they are ready. I wouldn't say anything about it yet unless they say something first ...

Bernard looked over at Lucy, who was unconsciously moving to the music in a dreamy sort of way, and giving Eden little looks as if trying to make her giggle. She was his only sibling to resemble him physically, and he had come to believe she might be like him in other ways as well.

The isle lost in the mist
They say the island's true treasure
Is love's first kiss
In Avalon

Lucy gazed at Bree Le Fay, who looked like she might be one of the fairy people, as her name suggested. Her voice was enchanting ... the ballad was haunting ... it was all absolutely magical, like everything about this bewitching country.

A piece of paper was shoved into Lucy's hand under the table. She carefully unfolded it, and read it in the dim lighting.

Meet me by the lake for one last sail before it gets properly dark. E.