Chapter 6

Regulus felt the familiar tug of apparition as he appeared in his small bedroom. He landed slightly unsteadily and knocked over a lamp with a crash.

"The fuck was that?!" He heard Damien cry from the other room. The door opened and his flatmate appeared, frying pan held aloft in a defensive position. "Oh Regulus" he said surprised, "Sorry I could have sworn you weren't home."

"Oh- I came home earlier, you mustn't have heard me. Sorry." Regulus lied, he really needed to be more careful.

"No worries- have good weekend?"

"Yeah thanks, went to Camden with my brother."

"Your brother?" Damien asked curiously. Regulus had only mentioned Sirius a few times, and sparingly. Damien obviously didn't know full story of their relationship, just enough to understand that this was a significant event.

"Yeah, he came over yesterday. I guess we're trying to patch things up. Maybe."

"Good for you." Damien replied, his amiable round face breaking out into a wide grin.

"Oh, and my mother died."

"Bloody hell mate. Sorry about that." Regulus just shrugged. "Um... fancy a curry?" his flatmate asked awkwardly.

"Nah, I'll probably just read for bit and turn in."

Damien nodded understandingly and retreated from Regulus' small room. Regulus stripped out of his jeans and shirt and crawled into his bed, burying himself beneath the thick duvet cover. His mind buzzing as he tried to bury the mortifying reality that he had just tried to kiss James and he had been rejected. How could he be so fucking stupid? He was so pathetic, throwing himself at the man who obviously had no interest. Despised him probably. Regulus really shouldn't have let the small moments of friendliness let his guard down. James was the brightest person he had ever known, enrapturing everyone around him his warm glow. It was never supposed to be directed at Regulus.

Regulus decided that he was absolutely never going to see James again. He couldn't possibly face the humiliation. He knew that would be a challenge, considering that he and Sirius were joined at the hip. Fuck, what if James told Sirius? That's all he would need, Sirius to stop talking to him again. Regulus buried his head into his pillow and let out an agonised silent scream.

── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

The next day, Regulus made his way to the small greasy spoon at the edge of Tufnell Park. The café was tucked off a main road near Hampstead Heath and its unpretentious appearance attracted a wide range of clientele. Early in the morning, builders would come in for Full English breakfasts, making way for the old ladies and young mothers who would chatter happily over scones and tea. Towards the afternoon groups of school children would trickle in for plates of chips and milkshakes. Regulus loved the small café, it wasn't fancy but its cramped tables, fading artwork and ancient coffee maker always greeted Regulus with a homely welcome.

"Hey Paulie" Regulus called out to the cook in the back of the café while he tightened his apron around his waist. The large balding man nodded to Regulus and continued scraping at the large grill. Regulus did a quick sweep of the café, lifted the chairs off the tables and flipped the sign on the door to 'Open'. Almost immediately, Geoff wandered in. He was a local homeless man who would spend his days frequenting the local shops and cafes. "Morning Geoff, Usual?"

"If you'd be so kind" Geoff replied settling himself in with one of the papers Regulus had laid out. The old man was always the first in, ordering nothing but a sugary tea. He would sit there and sip it for at least an hour every morning before heading off to the laundrette next door or the bookies up the road. Regulus would regularly swing past and refill his mug, or drop off a pastry, insisting it was stale and couldn't be sold anyway.