Chapter Seventeen: Arrival

"I'm too young to feel like I'm running out of time."

An eternity passed during the journey to their doom. Everett and Elsea didn't say much to each other, only brushed each other's hands when they needed comfort. The guards were silent for most of the time, sensing that the fun and games were over. The overwhelmingly loud silence was back, ringing in her ears compared to the colourful chaos Elsea was used to. And to make matters worse, the terrifying nightmares were back with a vengeance, only instead of her sister being crowned, it was of Elsea becoming queen. Rather than ruling wisely, she ordered the death of Ever and watched the knife strike down. She always woke up right before he was killed. Guilt wracked Elsea's body every time they made eye contact and Ever smiled with bold trust. 

Their clipped conversations were mostly of Elsea briefing Ever on the ways of the palace. It felt surreal, bringing up memories of what her old life was like. She told him the different titles of the nobles and when to bow. Which was the salad fork and which was the regular one. What the regular clothing attire was and what was worn to balls. When and when not to speak. 

Soon it became a distraction, and Elsea found herself telling Ever much more than he needed to know. He didn't need to know every type of flower in the gardens, but Everett let her ramble. He would likely not attend any balls, but Elsea instructed him on which dance went with which ballad. 

"I'm not much of a dancer, I'm afraid I'll step on your toes." Ever tried to joke one time, but the comment fell to the ground.

When they arrived, they were dirty and tired and drained of any bit of hope they had clung on to. Seeing the huge palace rise out of the trees was like pouring water over an already stamped flame. The guards shoved them towards it, Elsea stumbling weakly. 

"No." Mindless panic seized Elsea as memories crumbled down on her. It turned her feral, fighting and kicking with sudden adrenaline. "I don't want to go back. No. No. Please!" Everything blurred around her, mixing around like smearing your hands over a still-wet acrylic painting. Distantly, she could hear Ever shouting her name. Even he couldn't calm her this time. Elsea had to be restrained until the point where her feet were off the ground, flailing hysterically. 

With each step, another memory bombarded her with reminders. Everett was catching onto her fear, the desperation leaking off of her. She could see through her panic his eyes start to shift, his movements quicken. 

The huge gates opened, and guards stepped aside to let them in. 

"Please inform Her Majesty of the prisoner's arrival." A guard nodded and Elsea sunk to her knees in a pile of rags that was once clothes. Within minutes, firm footsteps quietly sounded towards them. 

If Saphira was pretty as a princess, she was breathtaking as a queen. A flowy lilac gown folded carefully around her curves, accenting her waist and chest. The soft fabric regally brushed against the floor with each step, her arms billowing like clouds. An array of expensive necklaces hung from her throat, a large sapphire resting between her breasts. Saphira's face was articulately brushed with powders and kohl.  Her burnt golden hair seemed to glow radiantly, twisted elaborately into looped braids. Finally, Elsea's gaze settled on the crown, which settled securely on her tresses. She demanded attention. Her attitude was lazy and arrogant. Confident, unlike anything Elsea had seen in her. Her eyes were positively radiant behind thick lashes, calculating and powerful. 

It was like she was a different person. 

It took some time before Elsea processed the man next to her. He was undoubtedly handsome, but looked exceedingly attractive on her twin's arm. He had wavy light brown hair and a muscled build, towering over Saphira's smaller figure. The noble subtly leaned into her, as if craving her touch and skin. 

The guards fell into bows, way lower than necessary. Elsea swallowed thickly and copied them, feeling ugly and dull next to the person who seemed to literally draw the attention from the room. Tears pricked at her as she lay there, kneeling in front of the queen. She was a caterpillar next to a glamourous butterfly. 

"You may rise." The queen commanded after quite a while. 

Elsea was dragged upright, glaring hatefully at Saphira. 

"I must say, I did not expect two." Saphira laughed, but it was different than her normal tittering. It was deeper, more elegant. How had things changed so much?

"Apologies Your Majesty, he tried to free her and so we took him too."

"Do not speak unless I have asked you to." A layer of ice crept over her tone. "Elsea." Her voice lightened, but it felt dangerous. When had she ever felt scared of her twin? "Why did you run away from home?"

Elsea found her voice. "I was-" She started with conviction, but was cut off. 

"No. I know why. You. Wanted to be me." She pointed at Elsea and then herself. Saphira chuckled in the high-pitched tone Elsea was used to, but it was laced with something like dark humour. She covered her glossed mouth daintily, laughing between her fingers. "This whole time, you were jealous. I saw your loathing looks. But I tried to play nice. I shared my things. I tried to be the sister you wanted." She paused, picking at a manicured finger. Her voice dropped abruptly, emotion finding her. "I was so kind to you. So sweet. So gentle. I felt bad for you." -Elsea flinched-  "And now, I realise that no matter what I do, I'll never be enough. I'll always be the selfish, perfect child that should've been you."

Elsea was confused. This was not her sister. It was like a version of her she had never seen. Or never bothered to care about what she was really like. 

"When you ran away, I almost expected it. Do you know why I brought you back?"

"No." Elsea managed to croak out. 

"Because after everything I have suffered through-"

"Oh, please." The words were out in a rush. "You think you know suffering?" Her voice were climbing louder and louder. "Did you have to-"

"You do not get to speak." Saphira's words snapped sharply, and the words died as quickly as they had come. "In the time that you left, I came back into myself. I didn't have the burden of you anymore. I realised that yes, I do deserve power. I can make the changes I want. I have so much. More than imaginable. But still, I had little voice in the back of my mind saying "But what about Sea Sea?" 

"And I knew that you had to come back. I still cared for you, even when you treated me like a shiny pretty toy that had no purpose in life except to ruin yours. Because you know about taxes. You know about politics." 

"What are you saying," Elsea ground out.

"I'm saying that I want you to be queen."

"Alongside me."