Prologue

"What is it you want, Joker?"

You eyed at the options presented to you on the screen, sighing. Your eyes immediately flicked to the option "to save Akechi," but you knew what would happen if you picked that one. As much as it pained you, there was no way to save Akechi without dooming the world. Plus, Akechi would never forgive you if you did.

"Stupid Maruki giving me stupid hope just to stupidly make me choose the 'good' ending...why can't Atlus just let Akechi be happy? Why can't they just let ME be happy?"

You loved Akechi. You loved his character development, you loved his story, you loved his rivalry with Joker, you loved his memes, you loved his voice actor, you loved his princely side, you LOVED his psychosis...and, if you were honest with yourself, you loved the way he looked.

"Why, Atlus? Why would you make Akechi so pretty and then kill him twice? You didn't even have the decency to make him romance-able. I hope everyone at your headquarters has intense stomach cramps for no discernible reason until you finally go to the doctor and discover that nothing is actually wrong. And then you all look like idiots."

You looked at the screen and sighed again. It was getting late; you needed to wrap up your game before long.

.......Did you save before this cutscene?

Crap. How could you make such a rookie mistake? It was the final battle!
Ugh. Well, maybe you could just let the game run all night and continue where you left off when you woke up. It was the weekend, after all.

You climbed into bed, turned off the lights, set an alarm on your phone, and turned down the volume of your TV, glancing at the screen one last time.

What is it you want, Joker?

"To save Akechi from dying in the first place," you answered him aloud, "to give him the love he deserves."

Your eyes fell to the floor, forlorn.

"......No," you said, "I wish I was there to give him the love he needs. I wish I was always there, every step of the way. I don't want to be behind a screen anymore. I just wish he was happy."

You fell asleep quickly, phone in hand, dreaming of everything that could have been and everything that never was.

In the light of the TV, something shattered.

Darkness reigned.
——————————————————————————
Maruki raised an eyebrow. Something wasn't right.

"What is it you want, Joker?" he repeated again, louder, more forceful this time. Once again, Joker did not respond.

"...Joker?" Morgan's asked, nudging the Thief. "You alright?"

Maruki frowned and pinched his eyebrows together. Joker was taking too much time to respond. It was clear he wasn't thinking about his answer just from the look on his face. What was wrong?
It was as if the boy had just shut down.

Maruki had tried to read the boy's mind when the doctor had first come to power, and he had gotten the gist of Joker's adventures in Tokyo. Oddly enough, however, anything before that was completely shut off from him. He had used Akechi as a failsafe for Joker's desires because he literally could not find anything else the boy wanted. At the time, Maruki had dismissed it as the leader of the Phantom Thieves simply not caring about his past. He also thought that maybe Joker's will simply overpowered his abilities. But perhaps he had been wrong to think so; perhaps there was something else the doctor had missed.
He called upon Azathoth, staring directly into Joker's steel eyes.

And it was loud.

'Stupid Maruki giving me stupid hope just to stupidly make me choose the "good" ending...why can't Atlus just let Akechi be happy? Why can't they just let ME be happy?'