How It Ends

Enid's POV

"WEDNESDAY!"

I yelled as loudly as I could. She was facing away from me, sitting at the very ledge of the parking lot rooftop.

I saw her start to push off.

But as soon as she heard my scream she stopped. She didn't turn around but she scooted back a bit to show she wasn't moving.

As much as I wanted to run to her I knew that might make her jump, so I very carefully took steps toward her as she turned her head to finally look at me.

She wasn't crying she just had a look of loss and defeat.

"Wednesday please listen to me, I want you to step away from the ledge and come here." She didn't say a word so I took a step forward.

She tightened her grip on the concrete and I saw her sway forward.

"NO STOP STOP IM NOT MOVING ANY CLOSER PLEASE STOP" My heart stopped and couldn't feel my body anymore. Just a chaotic swarm of molecules of what I was supposed to be.

"Look- look I know things don't seem good b-but I can't-" my throat halted anymore words from coming out. I wanted to scream but there was nothing. Nothing came out.

She turned her head away to look out again and I quietly took a few steps forward and whispered
"I can't be here without you.."

There was a brief moment of silence but the sound of nothing terrified me, like I wasn't doing enough to save her. Time was inconsistent. Flowing, slowing, and turning faster with every breath I could barely take.

"I thought we would go dancing after I got out of the hospital, I thought we would get our own house and.. and.. what about our forever?"

I started to hysterically cry. None of this seemed real, there wasn't any possibility this was happening. Nothing could be done except try to talk to her. Absolutely anything could set her off at this point.

"Please don't do this I- WEDNESDAY NO!"

She did it.

She stood up.

And she wasn't on the ledge anymore.

She instead turned around

Saw me crying

And it seemed like everything in her broke

Like it was all hitting her

She took a few steps toward me and tears started to spill down her cheeks. Her hand covered her mouth and she realized what she was doing.

"Enid.." she said quietly then ran to me and wrapped her arms around me, and we shielded each other from the wind that could've taken her down at any given moment.

"I... I'm so sorry" she cried into my chest, letting all of her tears go as she struggled to catch up with her own breath.

I held onto her tighter than I ever have before and we both fell to the concrete floor of the rooftop, crying and heaving for a long, long time.

After we started to gain control of our breaths more she asked "how did you find me?" I put my chin on her head and held my hand on the back of her neck.

"I don't know something came over me like- I just knew you were in danger and I ran right to you. I just knew, I think it's a mate thing."

She snuggled into me deeper and gave me a kiss on my collarbones. "Enid I'm so sorry.." she started to say.

"Shhh Weds it's ok you don't have to say anything. Do you think you're ready to start heading home now?" She gave me a final tight squeeze and stood up. "Ok let's go."

As we walked back to our dorm the wind seemed to stop and all we could hear was our footsteps on the pavement. We didn't rush to get home, after all it's the journey that matters more than where you end up.

I was just happy to be anywhere with her. I was happy that she was safe.

She leaned on me and we held hands as she put her head on my shoulder.

"Will we get to forget this happened? And just.. continue?" She asked me softly. I shook my head and said "no we can't forget but we can move forward with the right care. Can you agree to that?"

"Yeah I can do that" she answered. Then after a moment of silence she asked quietly "will you ever forgive me..?"

"There's nothing to forgive Wednesday, we have a forever to focus on now."

"I love you" she whispered.

"I love you too. Always."