Chapter Five

"Vi I am horrified."

The human nods solemnly, occupied with cutting potatoes in Caitlyn's kitchen. "Yes, mice are very delicious, but potatoes are better."

Powder stops her pacing for a second to gift her human servant with a deadly gaze. "Sometimes I forget you are a human, and, therefore, a moron. I am talking about Lux! What if she doesn't like the present I got her??"

"That's a lot of meows, Powder," Vi remarks with a small smile. "Are you sure you're not hungry?"

"Argh! You're no use!" Powder exclaims and rushes out of the kitchen to preserve her sanity.

Walking towards Vi's bags, the blue cat rummages through them and discards stuff that Vi won't miss or care about (jeans, wallet, chargers that Powder is not allowed to bite for some reason) until she finally gets to the prize: her little toy mouse, the one she has been thoroughly chewing throughout the years, on account that Vi's apartment doesn't have real mice and Powder doesn't like going outside.

"There we go!" Powder meows enthusiastically, then her expression falters as she takes in the decor of Lux's world and the cheap, worn-out mouse that is her offering to the most perfect cat there exists.

"What are you doing there, Powder?" comes the voice of said cat, who approaches her girlfriend from behind, prompting Powder to drop the mouse on the floor.

"Nothing!" Powder meows a little too quickly, then exhales in exasperation. "I mean... I got you this present, but it's just my old toy mouse, and you probably—"

"I love it!" Lux chirps and immediately wraps her tail around her girlfriend. "Powder, it means so much to me because it comes from you. It means every time I play with this mouse I will think of you. I love you, Powder."

Powder feels her breath stuck in her throat. "I love you too, Luxie."

The cats start nuzzling each other, and Powder thinks that, maybe, her big human sister should also step up and say the L-word to Caitlyn.

If, of course, humans are capable of something as complex as love.