Chapter Eight

Powder waltzes into Lux's kitchen — which is much bigger than her old kitchen! — and witnesses Vi dancing around as the red-haired human makes pancakes and bacon for herself and Lux's servant, Caitlyn.

"Hey Vi, I want tuna!" Powder announces loudly.

"Meow meow!" Vi responds enthusiastically as she grabs the blue cat happily. "Mrr mreow mer mer mer? Mrrao!"

"Oh no," Powder meows in horror. "My human has lost it. It's broken. I need a new one!"

"Mreeep, mer mer mer meow meow meow!" Vi continues blissfully, still holding her cat close. "Mew? Mew mew! Mew meow meow!!"

"You're not even speaking the language properly!" Powder complains. "That's just gibberish!"

"Mrrrrao!"

Finally, Powder manages to free herself from her human's grasp and runs out of the kitchen, only to see Caitlyn, Vi's mate. Perhaps she can make some sense of it.

"Caitlyn!" Powder yewls, "Your mate has lost it. It's a cat-astrophe! She's trying to meow, but it doesn't make sense, and—"

"Meow meow!" Caitlyn replies happily. "Mrrr mrr?"

"THIS IS A NIGHTMARE!" Powder yells and runs to find Lux.

Thankfully, Lux is very calm about the whole commotion, licking her paw innocently. "Lux! What is going on?" Powder demands. "If you start speaking Human, I swear—"

"It's a game!" Lux laughs. "Cait and I play it often, and Vi must have picked it up from her."

And, as it turns out, soon enough, Vi surfaces in the room, having the decency to look slightly guilty. "Sorry, Pow. I didn't mean to spook you. I just thought it would be funny..."

"Whatever," Powder mumbles. "Give me tuna."

One bowl of tuna later, Powder indeed feels much, much better.