Chapter 2

Arcadia gardens

January 3rd 1959

Pat was waiting for his pa under a lush green tree. The ventilated air gave a fresh coolness that was rare in Rapture now a days. The smell of grass and trees was like a wondrous perfume reminder of summer days on the surface .He loved the fresh air here it was a break from the hellish reality of what Rapture had become. He still felt for those poor sods who were hurt and killed at the masquerade party at Kashmir Restaurant all of that just to pull Ryan's funny bone. I know they were bunch of rich blokes that they were, but still. They thought they were done with Frank Fountain now this Atlas bloke has proven himself a bloody problem. Wonder how old Ryan is takin' it serves him right really even if he was smuggling a few things here and there you don't kill him for it. Anyway everybody knows what old Ryan really wanted. The plasmid business for himself. He didn't like how Frankie boy had more power and probably even more cash than himself. Ryan thinks he's all righteous thinking he, "saving man." from being pushed around from the government when he acts like the bleadin' government himself. Pat tried to think of happy thoughts that's what Dr Lamb says I should do every time I'm real angry. She's a real good woman glad she got her little girl back what was her name? Elaine...no, no that's not it something like that anyway. I heard she was with some Big Daddy, poor lass being dragged around by some mindless brute. Funny how old Ryan tried to make Lamb disappear ain't no one in Pauper's Drop who forgot what Dr Lamb has done for us.

He always went to this exact tree with his pa since he was just a lad. He always thought it was the pretties it was right next to a small pond that was always running clear blue water that shined like a million diamonds. Whenever we came to this spot the rich folk always looked down at my pa just because he was a hardworking man always in his oiled stained overalls. I always asked him why he does, he just smiled at me and said, "What's the point in changing son Rapture always needs a fix here and there." Now that I think of it I just smile, but I don't care what folk say he's kinda' pa anybody could ask for, kind and caring he even knew how to make everyone laugh even in the worst of times. I love this place  it's got a certain thing to it people are just so at ease here, but lately splicers are coming here more as if they haven't messed up enough places in Rapture, They're repulsive to me no way could I take that shit they're taking just to feel good, they look like and act like freaks for crying out loud! Now they're coming here it's not looking good.

Pat's pa had finally arrived fresh grease covering his sleeves of his overalls. His wrinkled face had a happy look on it and his baby blue eyes shone with love as he walked to his son.

"Pa, you made it!"

Pat drew his pa in a wind-crushing hug.

"Carful Pat these old bones can't take your hugs".

Laughter filled the air as Pat released his pa he still had the same old smell just like when he was a lad, oil and cheap cologne, but he loved it, it made him feel safe.

"Was it safe on the way here  Pa? Splicers been running about lately."

"I ain't afraid of no splicer lad, whatcha trying to say boy?"

A serious look took over his pa's happy appearance, he gave Pat a stern look.

"Nothing Pa you know I meant no harm."

A wide smile began on his pa's face.

"Pa you ass. I thought I was in real trouble then."

"Hey language"

"sorry Pa"

They took a relaxing stroll through the garden. The smell of flowers blossoming filled the air as they talked about work, and the tragic event at the New Year's Eve masquerade party. They made their way through the farmers market, most of the stalls were closed for a few days it was still to soon after what happened. People shouldn't have to be scared to leave their homes. I thought Rapture was different when I was a lad that it was different than the surface, but it's worse down here in this hellhole all trapped up, not even allowed to leave only meat allowed is fish to eat used to get steaks from Frank, but now he's gone. They strolled pass the tea garden only a couple was there whispering sweet nothings to each other no doubt trying to get the lass in the mood with a stroll. They made their way to Rolling hills. Then Pat's pa came to a sudden halt by a wooden bench that was surrounded by lush greenery and flowers of different kinds creating a mystical scent that was carried in the air. His pa took a seat that creaked as he sat. a concerned look clouded his face.

"Sit down lad I've got to tell you something."