Chapter 10

Wyett
The last day
June 29 2019
Tap! Tap! Tap!
I turn my head towards the window, where a wide smiling Katie is squatting, trying not to fall off the roof.
I gasp.
Quickly, I open my window and help Katie inside.
"What are you doing here!" I say breathless.
Katie just smirks and gives me a soft peck on the cheek.
"I thought maybe we could walk to school together." Katie gives a soft smile and holds out her hand.
I smile wide and take her hand. But my smile drops into a frown when I think this plan through.
"What about my parents? I can't just take you downstairs with no explanation."
"Like I haven't already thought of that! Jeez, have a little more faith."
We both laugh, all the while getting ready for the last day of school.
I finally finish packing up my stuff and Katie quickly hops out the window to meet me out front.
We walk to school talking about our favorite show, and how the new season sucked.
When we split before lunch for our sprite classes though, Katie gives me a soft kiss on the forhead and dashes off to her class room.
I walk to math and think about how great the last month has been.
I've had so much fun with Katie, and when it's just the two of us, thousands of butterflies erupt out of my stomach all at once.
I lose track of time and arrive late to my math session.
I sit down fast and try to focus, but something comes circling back to my thoughts, no matter how hard I try and push it away.
Katie's been off lately.
It was true. Something was up.
I decide to ask Katie about it at lunch.
When I arrive to outer table in the cafeteria, I don't find Katie sitting there with a smile. Instead, I see a short, blue eyed blonde, and a tall, light blonde sitting and chatting at the table. I walk up and place my tray down to start eating.
"Have you guys seen Katie? She's been acting kinda strange."
"Yeah, she has been kinda strange. No we haven't seen her at all today." Vicky says, scratching her neck.
I decide to head up a floor to the library. She loves hanging out in there.
Sure enough, in the corner, nose in her book, Katie sits unaware of anything else around her.
I poke her shoulder and she stirres, waving my hand away.
Awe
"Hey, you gonna come eat?" She looks up from her book and shakes her head.
"I don't feel like it today." She burrows her nose back inside her book.
I sit down beside her and read over her shoulder.
"What the? What are you reading?"
"Uh a romance novel, duh."
I chuckle a little and wisper into her ear.
She nods and stands up, taking my hand, then quickly dropping it.
Odd.
I decide to tell her my news.
"Hey, guess what."
"What's up?"
I give a small smile.
"I'm starting this new program that will help me transition into an actual guy!"
She looks down at the floor, making me wonder what I did wrong.
"Is something wrong?" I ask in a small, shrunken voice. I worry I've upset her, and it makes me queasy.
"Yeah, I'm happy for you, I just have some knows of my own."
She looks back up at me and takes a deep breath.
"I've... done some thinking lately. And honestly... I think I've lost feelings for you. You are such a wonderful person, and the last month has been amazing... but, with some self reflecting, I realized I don't think I actually like guys. I... think I'm a lesbian."
My jaw drops.
"Oh-yeah, ok. Um... are we, breaking up?" Tears start to brim my eyes.
"Yeah, I think so." She looks away from me.
I run.
Out of the library, down the stairs, through the cafeteria, and out the doors.
I slow down near my home and collapse onto my knees.
This can't be happening.
But it's too late, it's already happened.
Maybe this is for the best.
I go home and lay on my bed and cry.
I just want to be loved.
I will be again, I know that. But right now all I feel is rejected.
This was a great last day.
Oh wait, no, it wasn't.