1

??? POVA chill ran through me as I trailed behind the Third Hokage. Every so often, he would inquire about my well-being or if I was prepared for the next significant milestone in my life. My silence was my response, yet inwardly, I felt out of place. The elder came to a halt, prompting me to do the same and turn towards him. "Stay here, and I'll summon you when it's time to enter," he instructed. I nodded, watching as he opened the door and then disappeared behind it as it closed.

Leaning against the wall, I gazed at the ceiling, lost in thought. 'This is pointless... perhaps I should just go. Whether I do this or not, even if I succeed, it seems irrelevant. My life feels empty—'

A gentle hand on my shoulder jolted me from my reverie. Turning, I saw a man with a slicked-back black ponytail, a leaf headband adorning his forehead, and a look of concern in his eyes. "It's time to come in now," he said, his smile warm and reassuring. I nodded and followed him into the classroom, taking my place beside the Third Hokage.

I could feel a dozen pairs of eyes on me as I kept my head down. The silence was almost too heavy, and the staring intensified the urge to crawl into a hole and bury myself alive. "This is Misaki; she will be joining you for the last two months of the academy. She's a bit shy, so please treat her well," the 3rd Hokage announced, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, prompting me to look up. His small smile seemed to convey a multitude of unspoken reassurances before he gestured for me to choose a seat. Surveying the classroom, I noticed an empty spot at the very back, away from everyone else. Iruka, my new teacher, watched me expectantly. With a trembling hand, I pointed to the isolated seat at the back. "Very well, that will be your seat for now. I do hope, though, that you'll become more social with time," he said, his smile tinged with sadness as I made my way to my new seat.

Time skip

It was time for taijutsu training, and Iruka-Sensei led everyone outside to the track field to practice basic fighting skills. I felt people's stares as I chose to keep my distance; I wasn't comfortable around them. "Hey Misaki, since you're new here, why not show everyone what you've got?" Iruka-Sensei suggested. As the stares intensified, I met his gaze with a neutral expression and walked to the center. I figured it was best to comply with the instructions to avoid any trouble.

He summoned another child to the front; her name, I think, was Sakura. We were instructed to make a sign to signify the start of the battle. Silence fell once more as I observed her; she had lengthy pink hair and bright green eyes. Adorned in a red dress paired with green shorts and the mandatory blue sandals for novice ninjas, she stood out. With a sigh, we were directed to form the peace sign, signaling the commencement of the duel.

Sasuke's pov

I observed Misaki as she moved to the center of the field, her name announced for the battle. In contrast to the other girls, except Hinata, she remained silent throughout. It was fascinating that the 3rd Hokage had taken great pains to escort her here himself. Iruka-Sensei then summoned Sakura to face her in the first match. "Watch this, Sasuke! I'm going to knock it out of the park!" Sakura yelled excitedly in my direction. I simply shrugged, watching the two girls get ready for their confrontation.

As soon as Iruka signaled, Misaki assumed a defensive stance while Sakura rushed towards her. Sakura's swings were deftly dodged by the black-haired girl, who then countered with a kick to Sakura's feet, toppling her. Misaki attempted to restrain her, but the pink-haired girl managed to shove her off and performed a backflip to stand up. Charging at Sakura, Misaki aimed a blow at her gut, sending her tumbling. Swiftly, Misaki restrained her, and it wasn't long before Iruka declared the match over.r.

Misaki's Pov

I looked down at the pink-haired girl beneath me, standing up and offering my hand to assist her. However, I felt a slight sting on my hand as she muttered, "I don't need your help," and rose to rejoin the line. Glancing at Iruka-Sensei, I noticed his nod and made my way back to the end of the line, keeping a distance from the others but remaining within sight.

The matches seemed endless until my name echoed once more, prompting me to return to the training field's center. There, before everyone, stood a boy with black hair and eyes, clad in blue and white. "This is the final match, and it should give us a clear idea of Misaki's progress in her training," he announced. As my opponent extended his hand, I shook it, feeling the firmness of his grip. In a swift motion, he swung at me, and I instinctively ducked. 'Has the match begun already?' I wondered, yanking my hand back. He launched another punch, which I narrowly avoided with a backflip.

 Squinting, I charged at him, unleashing a flurry of punches, which he deftly parried with his arms. To me, it seemed like only five minutes had passed, but it was apparently much longer. "Alright, you two, let's call it a draw! It's getting late; time to head home," Iruka-Sensei declared, intervening. At his words, I halted mid-action, my fist stopping just inches from the boy's face.

I retreated swiftly as the match concluded and turned towards home. Behind me, whispers and murmurs followed as I made my exit. I harbored a deep aversion to being among these strangers. A chill crept over me, more intense than upon my arrival, reinforcing the alienation I felt in this place.