Mehrama | Chapter 2

Chapter 2 | The Society
Word Count: 1165
17/01/2023

Red sirens on the top of the jeeps and SUVs were now silent on the Governor's orders

Red sirens on the top of the jeeps and SUVs were now silent on the Governor's orders. He knew the people would either flee away or hide the traces of their unethical business ones they get to know about the raider's arrival. He was determined to stop this toxic chain of trafficking of minor girls, enforced prostitution, women being cheated upon by their husbands who are a constant customer of the brothel and the other unethical activities supported by the business owners.

The girls brough here were either kidnapped or manipulated in the name of love, better career opportunities and monetary finances to their dreams, without letting them know about what the job actually is. The teenagers with high hormonal levels, sky level dreams and rebelling attitudes against their family, are the easiest to trap.

Vedansh's car was followed by a security van with police and a lot of space to fit in the culprits and women involved as they were either in the need of saving or would act as witnesses in the courts. Nonetheless, they'll have to accompany to the police station.

His college friend, Shiva Chopra, was alloted as the Deputy Commissioner of Police about an year or two back and Vedansh was elated to have his friend back in his town and as a co-worker. He was one of his most trusted man in the arena.

"Why weren't any of the girls successful in running away?" Shiva mumbled in the haze of his thoughts. This made Vedansh think about the issue too.

Were they not even trying to runaway? Or was the security so tight that they couldn't even come out of the four walls? Why would no one ask for the authorities' help? The questions clouded his consciousness until he felt the car come to a hault.

Sprinting out of the car, he ran towards the huge door of the supposed brothel with his security and police trailing behind him. Knocking twice on the door, he waited until a voice asked, "Code?"

He looked at his secretary and tilted his head slightly, asking him to deal with the interrogation without revealing who they really were.

"Ghar mein Chhole bane hai." Mathur rolled his eyes when he saw a smirk shadowing Vedansh's lips. Shiva was trying hard to control snickers that knocked onto his mouth.

The sounds of the hinges cracking and locks opening caught their attention. Vedansh gave Shiva the way to take lead. As the door opened slightly, Shiva pushed the guard hard enough for him to stumble back as he opened the rustic metallic door wide open for the rest to enter. At the sudden sound of intrusion, the people in the brothel began running chaos-ly. The owners tried to escape out of the back doors with all the cash left at their hand, the customers were busy buttoning up their shirts or zipping up their pants before running here and there. The atmosphere in the brothel was gross making Vedansh feel sick in his guts. He asked the lady officers to gather the girls who were into prostitution- willingly or unwillingly- and fill them up in the rescue vans.

Among all the chaos, a certain purple room attracted a lot of Vedansh's attention even though it was situated at the farthest end of the corridor. The door to the room was closed. Curiosity kicked in and he made his way to the room. He knocked on the door a few times but got no replies. He felt like something in there was in a desperate need of his attention. Applying a bit more force, he pushed the door open as the fragile hinge broke open. Even among the shrill chaos, soft whimpers fell into his ears. At the farthest corner of the room, there sat a young lady curled up in a ball as her face seemed hidden in her arms. Her once new white anarkali was torn and dirty now, with traces of blood. The decors in the room were either scattered or broken. The curtains were half hanging and half torn. She was clearly forced and molested. Everything in Vedansh screamed for him to go near her, console her, tell her she was going to be okay, that every thing that might have happened with her over the long period of time was nothing but a nightmare. But none of these were true. And most of all, the last person she would want to be touched by was a man. He silently walked out of the room and towards a lady constable.

"Ms. Meera, there's a girl in the corner most room in the urgent need of medical attention. Get her to the hospital primally. We'll get the FIR registered when she's concious enough to file a statement." He ordered the lady in her mid-thirties.

Walking towards his best friend, he saw majority of the prostitutes being transferred to be injured and molested. They had deep scars running through their bodies with clothes barely covering them. The sight was horrendous. He knew he was going to have nightmares for the consecutive week or two.

"What kind of monsters would have been the men who harmed them this way?" Shiva muttered. Clearly, he was disturbed too.

"Many of them haven't even appeared for their fucking matriculation exams! They're clearly fifteen or less! How can they even think about these kids in a sexual way let alone having them as prostitutes?!" He was frustrated at the mentality of the society and the men constituting it.

An older constable, Mahesh Thakur, who was just a few months away from his retirement scoffed.

"If they don't come to brothels and let their animals out on the prostitutes, they'll let their animals out at their family members. The men who can't afford coming to brothels are generally the ones who are involved in domestic violence, marital rapes, forcing their own daughters, sisters, getting into acts you can't even imagine. That's how the society have been working for years." He muttered slowly.

"And sadly, my daughter, Simran, got into a similar trap too, losing her life in the process of satiating her husband's inner animal." A tear slipped through Mahesh Thakur's eyes. Vedansh hugged the older man tight, giving him a shoulder to cry upon.

"You shouldn't have accompanied, Thakur Saheb, this might be triggering.." He trailed off.

"This isn't triggering, sir. This is just a way to save several other Simrans." He assured. Vedansh tapped his shoulder not knowing what to say.

Growing up in an healthy environment, a cosy family with a lot of values and love, he had no ideas about the evils of the society. The new disturbing elements of his provinces were really gut wrenching for him.

"Ansh?" He heard Shiva call out.

"Hmm?" He answered.

"Isn't th-that Prisha?"

~•~•~•~

You didn't think the brothel concept in the previous chapter was a filler now, did you? 👀