One

Onika M.
February 1st
Buffalo, New York

February 1stBuffalo, New York

The season of Love.
That's what this was or so they claim for it to be. Knowing our generation, most of this is just lust or a 3-week relationship. There's only a good handful that would come out of this season with a meaningful relationship, hopefully I was one of them.

I parked my car in the student parking lot. I watched out the window as the snow fell and the wind blew.

I hate the fact I couldn't get a closer spot to the door but this'll have to do. I grabbed my scarf from my passenger seat and placed it around my neck, again. Afterwards, I placed my hood on and grabbed my bag from the backseat.

I exited my car, locking the door behind me as the wind and snow pushed against me. I'm fairly small, so I know any wrong step, the wind would overcome me.

Luckily, I made it through the schools double doors without embarrassing myself.

Walking through the halls, carefully, you could see other students talking and laughing. You also couldn't miss the Valentine's Day decorations. It was pink and red over the walls with hearts. Phrases like "Hugs and Kisses", "Love is In The Air", and "Be Mine".

I continued my walk to my locker and wasted no time switching out my boots for my crocs. The winter season was really when I used my locker most. You will not be catching me walking around with a fat coat.

"Hey Nicki!" I looked to see my good friends Robyn and Kelendria, Kelly for short.

We've been friends since freshman year, when we met for whole band practice. We play the trumpet.

At first we didn't speak to each other, not even during the solo sessions. We just came in, practiced and left. We even had classes together and we didn't speak. We didn't start talking until Robyn forgot her sheet music at home and asked to share it with me, since I was in the middle of both her and Kelly.

"Hey y'all. How did y'all morning start?" I asked as we walked to the first period, math. I hate math and math hates me. I don't see why we have to do all of this. Firstly, we don't use y=mx+b in our daily lives. Secondly, not all of us want a career that has to do with math somehow.

"I slept lovely." Robyn beamed.

"Yeah you're smiling. You must've gone to bed on time?" She nodded.

"9pm actually. As soon as I left school I had to dart to work, just for a few hours. I went to sleep as soon as I met the comforts of my bed."