Chapter 18: Different perspectives

The Moonclaw roared, shaking the forest itself with its impotent rage. A licified beast was a very low level threat. No matter that it was S-class, it was still just that, a beast.

I shifted my weight to the side.

The Moonclaw then passed by at breakneck speed, slamming into the spot where I had been, shaking my hair and clothes with the wind caused by its movement.

It roared in frustration and waved its tail to the side, sweeping away leaves and dirt on its way to me.

I avoided the beast by leaping into the air, leaving it perplexed on the ground because it could no longer detect my scent. I was hesitant to perform a full vacuum, but I apparently had no choice. The only downside to creating a vacuum around me was that I couldn't breathe because oxygen couldn't even reach my nose, but this was a minor issue.

I went down. I cut. I ran. A cycle of mutual attrition in which the daggers I had vanished, leaving only the handles, leaving me with nothing but my fists to fight against the wounded beast.

In the battle-scarred forest, I was a blur. Because my scent was imperceptible due to wind magic, and the beast was blind and deaf, the cowed Moonclaw simply roared and bit the air in frustration.

However, regardless of how much of an advantage someone has on the battlefield, if the other enemy possesses overwhelming power, a stroke of luck or miscalculation is enough to turn the tide in a battle.

The Moonclaw's tail lifted and, at the last second, changed direction at breakneck speed, heading straight for me. A stroke of luck.

It was impossible to avoid it; while my mind was capable of keeping up with the pace, my body was not. It was almost certain death...

At least, for someone who did not foresee this situation.

The mana I had been saving for this moment burst forth from my core like a pulse of energy, reinforcing my skin like a sheet of the hardest metal while I crossed my arms in front of me to cushion the impact.

At the same time, the traps I had been laying since the beginning of this fight were activated, and I felt so many that the forest trembled. Stakes of earth, loops of ice, and vines of both elements entwined with the Moonclaw's legs did not escape. Everyone is waiting for this moment.

However, I will bear the brunt of its tail's impact. A small price to pay for ending this fight, especially since Ruri's location didn't take much damage. While I didn't care for her, Ellie did, so if I could save her body from being eaten, I would do so as long as it didn't jeopardize my victory.

The tail finally hit me, sending me flying in the opposite direction of my intended path. My forearm hurt a little, so I thought I might have broken an arm. Mom would undoubtedly chastise me.

The bloody gurgle of the Moonclaw's pitiful cry, on the other hand, sounded like a victory song to my ears. The beast collapsed in on itself, its eyes dull and lifeless, out of the corner of my eye.

I only needed to check on Ruri's condition now that the Moonclaw was dead, so I waited to fall to the ground and get up.... But that did not occur. My back hit the door of the dungeon we had discovered earlier, and my body was pulled inside as if by a vortex, without my being able to stop it.

My vision also dimmed as if I had blacked out. 'Was it a teleport door?' I wondered, the sensation was the same. However, before I could theorize further, I finally lost consciousness.

(***)

Arthur Leywin point of view:

"Kyu!"

'Papa, help!'