Chapter 24: A hectic morning

Our father did not arrive. However, there was no need to worry because our mother had stated he would definitely arrive tomorrow, so after supper, she showed us our room, which was the same as the one we already had, they only added an extra bed that who knows when they had time to put in. But I wasn't going to complain.

Ruri had gone out to do something even though my mother was against it. However, she was not open to negotiations and came out.

My mother inquired about my golden eyes, but I merely said that they changed when I took Sera as bond. Not a very good excuse, but she can't prove it otherwise.

After a short dinner, Arthur collapsed on his bed, and Sylvie pounced on his chest, then rolled into a little ball on top of Arthur, seeking his warmth.

Arthur didn't seem to mind and instead said to me, "Good night, Kiyo." He gently stroking Sylvie with his other hand and stared at me with one eye open.

"Good night." I replied, getting ready for bed.

I was about to lay down when I heard a slightly timid voice. 'Kiyo....' Sera was peering up at me from beneath the bed.

'What?' I asked.

'M-may I?' She began, but then stopped before she finished.

'May you what?'

Sera glanced over to where Art and Sylvie were sleeping before returning her gaze to me, this time mustering the confidence to finish her words. 'May I sleep with you?'

I gave her a puzzled look. "Where did you think you were going to sleep?"

'Huh... on the floor?'

I shook my head. "You're my bond; the least I can do is look after you." I said with a tiny prepared smile.

Sera's feathers rustled with joy as she hopped onto my chest, her wings supporting her in the delicate rise. She huddled close to me in search of solace. I reached for my mother's blanket, wrapped it around us both, and closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep soon.

I fell asleep with Sera's whistle-like snore. I was obviously more tired than I anticipated.

(***)

Before I could open my eyes, I heard noises. I also noticed a difference in the pressure in my chest. Similar to a pressure. Everything pointed to the fact that I was suffering from the well-known sleep paralysis, based on what I learnt about sleep disorders in the white room. Which was strange because I'd never had it before.

"What the heck?" I heard a voice mutter. "A girl?" It was Arthur's voice.

I immediately opened my eyes. I watched as my brother gazed up at me, puzzled, and I looked down at my chest, following his confused blue eyes.

A little girl was snuggling up to my chest. Soft snores came from her half-opened lips, and drool dropped down my clothes. There was no mistaking who she was with her reddish locks falling down her head. When I saw my bond casually presenting itself to be in human form, I let out a sigh.

I tenderly squeezed her shoulder with my hand. "Sera." I called out to her, she just made a few whimpers. "Get up."

"I don't want to," she said, turning her head and burying her face in my chest.

I let out another sigh, which prompted Arthur to ask, "That's Sera?" He inquired.

"Yes..."

"Oh"

A double knock resonated against the door as Arthur prepared to continue speaking. "My kids, are you hungry?" Our mother's voice came through.

The door began to creak open as soon as our mother's words echoed in the room. I reacted fast, leaping out of bed and grabbing handfuls of pillows and blankets. In a flurry of movements, I draped them over Sera's quiet figure, concealing the sleeping girl.