Chapter 26: Time for a little butterfly effect

Kiyotaka's point of view:

"Arthur, Kiyotaka, I didn't know you were both deviants, I'm surprised." Director Goodsky commented as she approached us after Arthur recovered from her attack. "Controlling multiple elements is not an easy task, Kiyotaka controls two and you control three, right Arthur?"

Arthur and I looked at each other and I shrugged my shoulders, showing that I didn't care what he wanted to reveal about us.

"Actually, we're both Quadra Elementals." Arthur revealed.

Director Goodsky was frozen.

(***)

The director was sitting on a couch, drinking a glass of water, still processing the fact that we were both Elemental Quadra. She had a contemplative look on her face, and I could almost see the gears turning in her head.

"I guess it goes without saying that they both pass, right?" She commented in a humorous tone after finishing her glass of water.

"I know it's surprising, but there's a reason we didn't go looking for you sooner, Director." Arthur began, drawing the attention of everyone in the room. "At our insistence, we decided to stay in hiding longer, for while I don't disparage your prestigious academy, there is only so much you can offer us."

"Arthur!" my mother scolded him in a panic as she covered his mouth with wide eyes. "Don't be rude to Mrs. Goodsky." She said with a hiss between anger and fear.

The director laughed slightly and waved her hand dismissively. "It's all right, dear." Seeing that my mother seemed to calm down, she turned to Arthur, "What do you mean there's not much I can offer?"

I decided to intervene, although I knew that Arthur had an idea of what to say, I preferred to choose the right words for the director myself. "What my brother means is that what we can learn at your academy we can do on our own in due time, the only advantage of enrolling would be to have the protection of you, the director, against any nobles who might want to use us."

Arthur gave me a somewhat surprised look, but nodded in agreement with my observation. "It's true what my brother said. You have the power and influence to protect us, both of us and our family, at least until I..." Arthur corrected himself in mid-sentence. "We are strong enough to make them ourselves."

Silence fell in the living room, for while our mother seemed to want to pull our ears off for our admittedly overbearing behavior with the headmistress of an academy full of nobles, she seemed to bite her tongue the moment she saw Headmistress Goodsky humming contemplatively as she put her hand to her chin.

Finally, she nodded with a satisfied smile. "I believe that you two boys have the ability to change the world. So if you enroll in the Academy and become someone who will give everything for Dicathen in the future, I'm willing to meet whatever criteria you set."

Arthur and I looked at each other, both agreeing with the look, and when he saw me nod slightly, he spoke again.

"That sounds good, if we decide to enroll, we'll tell you a few things we want."

That made the smile on Cynthia's face fade and she frowned slightly, "When you decide, you don't plan to enroll right away?" Cynthia asked incredulously.

"In my case, we won't enroll me until I'm of an appropriate age, on my twelfth birthday, as for Kiyo..."

"The same." I didn't need to stand out at the moment, it would be best to enroll in an academy at that age.

He nodded. "We'll register then."

She seemed strangely insistent. "But that's in a little over three years, do you have any plans for the time? You could start now and be exemplary mages in a few years."