Chapter 19

Selena

"Stupid fucking ice, stupid boyfriend having to be Canadian," I grunted, glaring at Justin, who was too busy laughing. "Can you, like, fucking help me up? My ass is numb!" I growled. He stopped laughing and skated over, offering a hand to help me up, rubbing my bum.

"Just take it easy, okay," he said, his laughter subsiding. "I don't know what I'm doing," I mumbled, feeling frustrated. He kissed my cheek and turned me around.

"Right, I'll skate, you just stay still, okay?" he instructed. I nodded, trying to steady myself as he pushed me while keeping a firm grip on my waist.

"How long did you play hockey for?" I asked him, gripping his hand tightly as we skated slowly. Don't judge me; these tiny little blades are holding me up, which feels ridiculous.

"I started when I was 5. My dad taught me, and then I joined my school team. I played for 5 years before we moved when I was 10," he explained. I nodded, trying to focus on staying upright.

"Think you can go alone?" he asked, releasing one hand and skating backwards, holding onto both of my hands. "You know how to rollerblade?," he asked me. I nodded.

"Okay, it's just like that. You need to move your legs back and forward. I'm not going to let you go, alright?" he reassured me. I nodded, gripping both of his hands tightly as I tried to move my legs. I wobbled a little but eventually got the hang of it.

"Hey, look at you," he encouraged, smiling. "Want to let go?" he asked gently. I looked at him nervously, uncertain about my balance.

"I'm going to be right beside you. Don't worry; if you fall, I'll catch you, okay?" he reassured me. I gulped and nodded, slowly releasing one hand at a time. I wobbled a bit but managed to stay upright as he held onto my waist.

"Okay, easy now," he coached, letting go of me completely. "I'm doing it! I'm skating on my own!" I shouted excitedly, feeling a rush of accomplishment. He laughed, watching me with pride as I began to skate on my own, albeit with a bit of wobbling.

"Justin!" I called out as my feet went out from under me, bringing him down with me. We both rolled onto our backs, laughing. He got up first, pulling me up with him, and I kissed him.

"Let's go again," he chuckled. "That's my girl." He playfully slapped my bum, and I chuckled as he held my hand, ready to skate again.

"Do you want to learn how to play hockey?" he asked. I looked at him, still catching my breath. "One step at a time, kid," I teased.

"You do know I'm a year older than you," he said with a smirk. "And seven months and eight days," he added. I chuckled. "I don't know, it's better than saying sugar or honey bunch, isn't it?" He laughed and kissed my head. We swung our arms back and forth as we skated, slowly but surely, and I was starting to get the hang of it.

"Are these boots supposed to hurt?" I asked, looking up at him. He glanced down at my feet. "They take a while to get used to. Come on, we've been here almost two hours, and your nose is red. Let's go hit the mall."

"Really?" I asked, surprised. He kissed my nose. "Yeah, it's the least we can do. You came here with me, so I can go with you." I smiled and kissed him softly. He smiled back, and we got off the rink, finding a place to sit down. He helped me take off my skates, and then he went to get our shoes.

"Shit," he muttered as he came back. I looked at him, confused, and then out the window, seeing some guy leaning against his car. I furrowed my brows, confused.

"Don't say a word, okay? Just get in the car," he instructed. "What's going on?" I asked him, concerned.

"Nothing to worry about, just an old... friend," he said cryptically. I nodded, and he kissed my head before we walked out. As we approached the car, the guy spoke up.