The First Date

Rudy

I put my things with the other sleepover bags, hearing music from the basement. The bass is shaking the floor. "Come on shrimp!" Jeff chuckles. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and escorts me downstairs.

There's a bull in the center of the large basement and Julio is riding it. "Yeehaw!" he exclaims.

"Look at that cowboy!" Jeff laughs.

Jeff lets me go and joins the guys at the bar, where they're smoking and drinking. Dexter is in the living area, sitting on a couch with a large water bottle, staring blankly at a picture on the wall.I walk over to where he's sitting and grab two slices of pizza.

"Did you see that cool bike out front?" I ask.

"It's mine..." he replies, glancing at me.

"You have a motorcycle but not a car" I scoff.

"I'm not supposed to drive but I didn't want to carpool with Jeff. I rather go blind," he jokes and I understand. Him and the guys didn't shut up.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"I'm fine, Rudy. Just thinking," he says slowly. His speech is slow, and his body seems uncoordinated.

"Rudy it's your turn. Eat a slice of pizza and drink a beer then ride the bull" Jeff explains.

Shit, I'm getting that twenty dollars. I take two large of my pizza slices to finish them then wash it down with beer. "Don't be an idiot, Rudy," Dexter says.

"I'm getting my money," I reply.

He shoots up and grips my arm. He towers over me, and his eyes try to send me a secret message. "I will give you twenty dollars; you will not do this," he orders. I knew it was coming.

"Don't poke," I reply and his jaw ticks. He lets go of my arm and I bounce onto the blow mat.

"Rue," I hear the nickname Wayne gave me.

I turn abruptly, glancing around the room. No one should know my nickname besides Wayne, and he's gone. The beer kicked in a little fast. I shake my head and hop on the bull. The team crowds around to watch me intensely. Julio hands me another beer and I take it.

The bull starts off with a steady rhythm and few aggressive movements. I glance at my beer—this is some good stuff, with the strawberry taste lingering on my tongue. Dexter pushes through the crowd to get to the front, his eyes locked on me. "Chug! Chug! Chug!" they chant. I tilt my head back and bring the bottle to my lips, happily welcoming the cool drink that gives me a boost.

The bull goes wild now, and it's exhilarating. With twenty seconds left on the timer, I'm close to winning my money. The bull's final frenzy makes me burp loudly before it slows down, almost like riding a horse.

Everyone's impressed, which makes me feel good. I glance at Dexter; his eyes move from my hands to my flushed face. As I struggle to get off, he helps me back onto the solid ground. Feeling dizzy, I stumble into his chest.

"Sorry," I murmur, clinging to his sweater.

"Are you alright?" he asks.

I shiver a little as he rubs my back in a soothing circle with gentle scratches. I bunch his sweater, using him to regain my balance. His gentle breathing fans my forehead, easing my dizziness. I keep recalling Wayne in this moment, it's like Deja vu. Dexter's embrace feels familiar. "C'mon,"  Dexter helps me to the couch.

"Sit," he forces me down.

"What is your problem?" I burp.

He crouches Infront of me as I let out a string of hiccups. Dexter inserts his water bottle into my hands. "Your meat to them," he whispers and my brows furrow.