Breaking the Ice

Rudy

Valkryie tackles me onto the table and her hands wrap around my throat. Her acrylics dig into my sensitive skin. "Get off!" I shout.

"You ruined my hair, I'll kill you for this!" she threatens.

"Valkryie get off of him!" Dexter shouts.

I'm afraid to do anything in fear of receiving criminal charges but I'm sure my consequence for what I'm about to do is legal. I scoop Lily's large pumpkin pie and pie face Valkyrie. She screams, killing my eardrums.

Then Dexter man handles her, lifting her off me. I sit up slowly, my back aches from the slam. "Rudy, are you okay?" Lily asks.

"Yeah, I think so," I reply.

"Jesus she's crazy," Jeff comments. Our team talk amongst themselves, saying the worst about Dexter's girlfriend. I look out the cafe window and Dexter sets Valkyrie down on the ground. They break out into an argument; their screaming match shakes the glass.

"Can you believe her?" Viola mutters.

Valkryie's anger erupts, and she shoves Dexter into the glass window. I head outside with the others to witness their argument. "Enough!" Dexter declares. He captures her back in a hug, she still thrashes as he tries to restrain her.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, okay!? Calm down!" he says, feeding into what she needs to hear. Sirens get our attention and Valkyrie calms down immediately. Dexter wipes pie off her face with his practice hoodie.

"Everyone act natural!" Lily shouts at us. The cop car pulls up, they leave their red and blue lights on as they step out. They nod towards Dexter before entering the establishment. Shit, thank god for Dexter's popularity.

"Just admit you put the gum in my hair," Valkyrie accuses me.

"I don't chew pink, bubblegum. I chew minty fresh, its white," I deny.

"It's true he only chews minty fresh," Dexter adds and I look at him. His eyes flutter and he returns his attention to his girlfriend.

"There are three different pieces of gum in your hair and none of them are white," Viola shares.

"Looks like you were the senior prank," Lily snickers.

"Well..." Valkyrie mumbles, feeling embarrassed.

"Dexter, let's go," Valkyrie states.

"I need a second you just shoved me into a window," he exhales.

"I want to go now!" she demands and forces him up.

"It's 2 am, we have practice in four hours," I mention.

"Yeah, I'm going to head back to the dorm and rest before practice," Dexter agrees.

"Okay get in the car, I'll drive you," she says, unlocking it.

"Dexter," I call as he gets in. As they pull out, he holds eye contact with me. I can see his pained facial expression from here.

"Don't get too worked up, Ricky dates her out of pity," Viola sighs

I unlock my car and hop in, determined to follow them. I quickly back out of the parking space and speed through the parking lot. I managed to catch up to her white BMW. My eyes focus on the light on in the car; they're talking.

Meanwhile, she's smoking a cigarette. The smoke creates a cloud in her car. Dexter covers his mouth, hiding his cough. The light turns off and she misses the University turn. Her tires screech and she darts forward. "What the fuck..." I breathe out.