Giving Thanks

Dexter

"Woah," Rue catches me. "I'm sorry I'm feeling a little dizzy," I whisper, regaining my balance.

"This is the third time since we've been here," Rudy's concerned.

"Maybe because I just want to hug you," I laugh.

"You can hug me as much as you want," he pecks my cheek. "Let me see the map," he requests and I hand it to him. "The lions are this way," he points. He takes my hand and we start walking.

Rudy swings our hands as he sees the beasts. "Are you excited?" I ask him.

"Is it that obvious?" he laughs.

"In a good way," I nod.

Rudy's body movements always give away his excitement. I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing him like this. We stand on the elevated platform, looking down at the animals.

"That one's huge," he says, leaning over like the kids next to him.

"Be careful," I say, gripping his right side. The biggest lion roars, and Rudy claps with a huge smile.

"Would you like to toss a meat slab for $60?" a zoo attendant asks Rudy.

"Yes!" he answers.

"Kinkaid, quickly," he shakes me.

"Kinkaid..." I repeat, pulling out my wallet. I hand her three twenty-dollar bills, and Rudy takes the slab. "It's mine!" he yells at the kid next to him.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry," I apologize, and the kid runs toward his mom. "Rudy," I frown.

"What?" he asks innocently.

"You paid good money for this," he holds up the slab.

He tosses it, and the lion jumps, catching it midair. "That was cool!" I cheer with him.

"Dexter," he wraps his arm around my waist. "Can you buy me that lion?" he asks.

"That lion would eat you on the first day," I say, pulling him into a headlock.

"No, it wouldn't! I'd name it Sherrie," he laughs.

"This way," he says, pulling me toward a stand. "One large cotton candy," Rudy rocks on his feet. I take out ten dollars—pretty expensive.

I hold his hip as we glance at different exhibits. "Can you buy me a rhino?" he asks.

"No," I answer.

"Can you buy me a flamingo?" he asks.

"No," I frown.

"You're lame," Rue looks up at me.

"Okay, and you're small," I reply.

"I'm okay with being small if I'm standing next to you," he admits.

"Really?" my face softens.

"Yeah, it feels safe," he nods.

"I'm glad, Rue," I say, rubbing the top of his head.

I pull my mask down and give him a quick peck on the lips. He gently brings my head back down for another kiss.

"Your lips taste sweet from that," I smile.

He takes a large bite of food, and I manage to snap a photo.

"Delete that," he says, wiping his mouth.

"No, I'll keep it," I tease, moving my phone away.

"I'll delete it off your phone," he nudges me playfully. As we walk, I stare at the picture—he looks so cute.