thirteen.

Daivon Jaamar Bennett | Chicago Illinois
same day

The gas pedal was pushed into the floor of the BMW i8 Von had rented

The gas pedal was pushed into the floor of the BMW i8 Von had rented. Once he heard his brother's name from the other side of the phone he was out the door. He would explain everything to Sayanni when he got more info but as of now, he was speeding down the road.

He'd passed at least five red lights before quickly swerving into the Mercy Hospital parking lot. Hopping out of the car and reasonably sprinting into the entrance of the hospital. He startled the woman at the front desk accidentally slamming his hands down onto the desk and leaning over to catch his breath.

The elderly woman's eyes practically bulged out of her head, confused, to say the least. "I'm here for Anthony Bennett?" Daivon asked breathlessly looking up at the woman with his hands resting on his knees. She hesitantly grabbed the metal file holder next to her desktop raking through the files of recent patients, easily finding Anthony's.

"You got a call from us about him right?" the woman asked looking through his file, licking her pointer finger thumb through the papers in the pretty girthy file. "Yes," He replied standing up straight, tapping his foot against the tiled floor, and chewing on his bottom lip in anticipation.

"Well, the doctor your brother was assigned is around the floor your brother is on. He was moved from the ICU to the inpatient floor. If you don't mind can you sign here, here, and here." The woman pointed her pen at each slot he was supposed to sign his name in then handed the pen to the younger man, she watched as he finished.

"Take the elevator to the fifth floor, then pass the next set of elevators, there should be another person at the front desk you can talk to about the room your brother is in." The woman took the sign-up sheet and the pen from him and tossed the pen into the thrash.

"Thank you so much." He spoke tapping the desk before taking off to the elevators. The phone call consisted of lots of medical history but the only thing he heard was that his brother was awake and asked for him and Durk. On his way to the hospital he had hastily called Durk praying we would answer his phone, so instead he sent about four texts with the contents of the situation.

Every other call he had gotten the past seven months Anthony had been in the hospital was about whether or not to begin funeral arrangements if they wanted to add him to the donor's list, how bad his condition was getting which meant he had to be monitored 24/7.

Von had never really had a relationship with God but, he'd prayed to whoever would listen. After the accident, he was always the first person up there every single morning and stayed throughout the rest of the day until visiting hours were over.

But as time slowly crept away he began visiting less and less. Only making occasional phone calls to the hospital. Seeing his brother like that tore at him every single day. Anthony had looked completely different his face had sunken in and he was pale-skinned, every bit of muscle mass he had seemed to disintegrate.