pt.8

Fires burned, windows smashed, doors were kick down. People all around could be seen scurrying through the streets. As Xena and Gabrielle stood looking on at the madness that the town had fallen into.

GABRIELLE
We have to do something. We have to stop these people before anything worse happens.

XENA
I don't think there's anything we can do until we find the demon causing all this. They're not gonna stop until it's gone.

Gabrielle looked out at the town being torn apart in front of them.

GABRIELLE
Then we better find it quick, or at this rate there won't be a town left to save.

With that Xena and Gabrielle began their search for the demon that was controlling the people. They made their way through the streets. Passing by the residents of the town, who didn't really seem to even notice their presence  What ever demon was inhabiting the town clearly had a firm hold of the people living there. On their search Xena and Gabrielle eventually found themselves at the market district. The scene was very similar there to the rest of the town. Though they noticed that for some reason the madness and violence seemed to be even worse in that area. Amongst the chaos Xena noticed two men having a tug of war over a small pouch. One the men managed to rip the pouch away from the other's clutches as he fell back. The man still standing turned and began to walk away, holding the pouch tightly. Xena watched as the man who had been knocked to the ground got back yp and took out a dagger. He began charging at the other man, ready to plunge the dagger into the man's back. He closed in and began driving the blade down. Suddenly his momentum stopped. The man with the dagger looked at his arm, seeing a hand gripping his wrist preventing him from moving his arm. He looked over to see Xena as she squeezed his wrist slightly causing him to let go of the dagger. It fell into Xena's other hand that she was already holding out ready to catch it.

XENA
You know you could really hurt someone with this.

Xena let go of man's wrist as she tucked the dagger away into her armor.

MAN
That's not yours, give it back.

XENA
I would, but I have a feeling that it doesn't belong to you either.

The man sneered at her, confirming Xena's suspension.

XENA
That's what I thought.

Gabrielle was making her way over to the scene through the crowd as Xena turned and began to walk away. She watched as Xena came towards her. Then Gabrielle saw the man that Xena had taken the dagger from pick up an axe that had been dropped in the midst of the chaos. The man began to run at Xena as he raised the axe ready to cut Xena down from behind.

GABRIELLE
Xena behind you!

But Gabrielle's warning was unnecessary. Xena being the expert warrior she was,  was already aware of the situation. She quickly stepped out of the way and grabbed the man's arm. Xena flipped the the man over. He crashed to the ground as he landed on his back. As he went to get up, Xena picked up the axe and pushed the handle into the man's chest. Shoving him back down. Xena looked down at him with an intimidating stare.

XENA
Don't even bother. Keep it up and you'll lose alot more than a dagger.

Knowing he clearly didn't stand a chance against this woman, the man stopped trying to fight. After a moment Xena took the axe away, allowing the man to get up. He rubbed the spot on his chest where the axe handle was as he glared at Xena, who stared back at him. Then without saying a word the man walked away. Xena and Gabrielle watched as he disappeared amung the rest of the villagers, who were still in the same state they had been when Xena and Gabrielle arrived.