pt.17

GABRIELLE
I really don't think we should leave yet Xena. There's no way you've fully recovered.

Gabrielle followed Xena around the room as Xena gathered up her things. It had been a few days since Xena had defeated the demon Lust. They had been staying at the local inn at the town that they had found the demon in. Xena didn't say much as she continued packing. Gabrielle reached out and grabbed Xena's arm.

GABRIELLE
Xena, would you stop and listen to me.

Xena tossed the items she had in her hand on the bed as she stopped and looked at Gabrielle slightly annoyed.

XENA
What are we supposed to do Gabrielle? Stay here and sit around while the rest of those damn demons run around doing who knows what to countless innocent people. Well I won't let them. I won't stop until every last one of them is dead.

Gabrielle had noticed that ever since their last encounter with the demon Lust, Xena seemed to be even more focused on killing the rest of the sin demons. Almost single mindedly so. She didn't have any memory of what happened from before she was taken, up until after Xena had killed Lust. When Gabrielle asked Xena what happened while she was under the demons spell, Xena just told her that it wasn't important, she killed Lust and that her being safe was all that mattered. But Gabrielle could tell that not only that encounter, but the whole sin demon situation was taking it's toll on Xena. It was having a similar effect on Gabrielle too. They had been in countless intense and dangerous situations before. But the almost constant onslaught of powerful enemies that they've been having to hunt down. The injuries they kept substaing. And the fact that they've both had to see each other taken control over or manipulated by the demons. It made perfect sense that everything was beginning to weigh heavily on them. Given everything that they had already been through, how could it not. They finished packing in silence. Finally once she was done, Xena broke the silence with only two words.

XENA
Three more.

Xena picked up her pack and headed out. Gabrielle grabbed her stuff and followed. They left the town and set out looking for the remaining sin demons. As they walked down the road, Gabrielle could tell that Xena was in pain.

GABRIELLE
You okay? We can slow down or rest. You really shouldn't push yourself like this Xena.

XENA
I'll live. At least until we finish the rest of the demons.

GABRIELLE
That's not funny. You shouldn't say things like that.

XENA
I'll be fine.

Xena patted Gabrielle's shoulder, trying to reassure her that she was okay. They walked on. As they traveled, Xena and Gabrielle came across a small farm. There seemed to be some sort of commotion. They walked over to see what was going on.

FARMER
Wait please. If you take everything, how will I feed my family? My children will starve.

SOLDIER
Sorry. By order of the new lord we have to take possession of all farmland and everything that goes with it.

FARMER
But why? And what happened to the old lord that was in charge?

SOLDIER
He died suddenly a few weeks ago.

XENA
How exactly did he die?

The soldier turned to see Xena and Gabrielle.

SOLDIER
Who are you?

XENA
Just a couple people passing through. We couldn't help but notice the situation. So just what is going on here?

SOLDIER
Nothing that concerns you. Now move along. I'm sure you have some cooking or cleaning to do or something.