DogVanté

Inspired by My Life, Track 12

I stand in the mirror, eyeing my outfit down as I scan myself for a single sign of imperfection in my clothing. The recent weight loss and muscular gains look great on me. If I love it, I know he'll love it more. The black backless dress I wear wraps around my neck in the fashion of a halter top. My freshly manicured acrylics gently brush along my babyhairs that decorate my ponytail. The glistening on my honey blonde highlights merge well with my peach nails.

I hum in satisfaction with myself. "Good."

Sashaying across the room, I seek out the table coffee holding my phone up to hip's length. The lack of a blinking light leaves a sting in my chest. Not having missed any calls as I dressed myself in my bathroom mirror leads me to believe it may be a busy two-day run in the studio for my boyfriend. The only positive point in it all is that I already plan to see him. He's been working a lot, days and nights spent cooped up in the studio, and I think it'd be nice to remind him how proud I am of him.

In the kitchen, his plate is resting on the counter. All wrapped up in aluminum foil, hot, fresh, and ready. I can smell it from here. I put my foot into every dish, from the greens to the cornbread to the smothered pork chop. I check my watch on my way out as a means to keep track of time. My journey to his recording quarters need to be quick in order to keep his meal in its total temperature prime.

Pushing 60 mph in a 40 mph lane is the only way to get the job done. He taught me how to drive like that.

I'm careful of the broken gravel and concrete of the parking lot as I pull myself from the car, tiptoeing in my heels with a cautious state of mind. A giddy grin reveals exactly how amped I am to see my man. Four days have passed since we've been eye to eye, three since we've last spoke. The distance has been eating away at my self confidence, highlighting my every insecurity and breaking me down to my weakest self. I had to snap out of it. Yesterday, I got my nails and hair done. Today, I woke up an hour earlier than usual to hook it up in the kitchen. Now, I'm ready to regain eye to eye contact with the love of my life.

"Hey, Tori!"

My sunglasses are set on my hairline as I look around in search of who is calling me. The culprit sits at the studio's front desk, caked up with a flirtatious receptionist. "Hey, Shan," I laugh as I gently set DeVante's food on the counter, adjusting my purse on my shoulder. "I see you went too, huh?" My eyes twinkle at the fresh tattoo glistening on his exposed bicep. It's likely he got it at the tattoo party I was not invited to.

"Flo hooked it up." He posing, showing off the artwork of a tattoo artist DeVante claims is a friend picked up in Ohio.

A short chuckle is expressed as I swiftly sign in on the visitor's sheet. "Okay, mister. Don't hurt 'em now," I tease.

I don't have anything else to say to Shannon or the girl with the Prince pixie cut and Michael Jackson curl behind the desk. I grab the plate and switch my way down the hall to my boyfriend's favorite unit. The lack of a red blinking light is my green light to walk right on in. I am met with no usual sights. Half naked women are scattered across the room, a few men probably carrying guns linger, and DeVante sits in the center of it all.