ROMEOVanté

so, basically

so, basically... this was a book where DeVante (1995) was a scammer. it was called ROMEO and is based on the movie Under The Cherry Moon. it was three chapters deep in my archives when the Jodeci wave died. why not post it? this is a literal copy, paste of chapter one (post-prologue). hope yall enjoy.

"When I wake up in the morning, love, and the sunlight hurts my eyes. And something without warning, love, bears heavy on my mind."

DeVanté, shirtless and barely awake, stands in his mirror. His head bobs back at forth. His hair being kept still beneath his stocking cap, as he rocks to the rhythm with his toothbrush doing its incumbent to keep all thirty of his teeth a pearly-white color.

"Then I look at you and the world's alright with me. Just one look at you a I know it's gonna be... A lovely day."

"Lovely day, lovely day, lovely day," DeVanté repeats to himself in the mirror. His fingers snap as he ignores the toothpaste that falls from his plump lips and drops onto his tattooed bare chest. "Lov— ai'ight, that's nice." He says to himself as he wipes his chest clean. As he cuts the water off, the house phone begins to ring.

DeVanté jogs down the long hall that leads to where his phone sits. He makes it into the room a little bit too late. The ringing stops and he witnesses his voicemail's light begin to blink. With an exhale, he clicks the button, falling on his couch, allowing his messages to play over the intercom. It cost him a nice grip for that kind of instillation but to him, it was worth it.

"Hey, DeVante, I been looking for you. I haven't seen you at the Rabbit's Foot or La Bamba.... or 553- Nasty. You dodging me? I think you should call me back... please?"

Click.

DeVanté ponders for a second on who the woman could be. He can't put any facial features to the voice, he assumes that she was from an extremely foggy night. That usually meant something because he loved to remember who he can and cannot call back to his place. Which is why, a majority of his doings are done sober. The strokes are executed better when he has the correct equilibrium.

"Hey, DeVanté... it's Fendi, you know, like the bag? You said you'd call but I thought I'd call first. Call me."

Click.

"I can't stop thinking about the night we.... you know. The way you...." The female takes a sharp breath between her clenched teeth. "Look, I'll only be in Miami for two more nights, catch me at the Ritz Carlton."

DeVanté pauses for a second. "Yeah, I'm 'bouta tap that shit for a second time."

Click.

"DeVanté, it's Carlita, again. Like I said, I haven't seen you at the Rabbit's Foot, you really need to call me!"

Click.

DeVanté sighs to himself as he recalls why he did not remember Carlita. It is because he did not want to. Carlita got nothing from him but three fingers and a hickey. Those four things are all it took for Carlita to never want to let DeVanté go. She called him daily and he never paid much mind to it. He's still on the hunt for his next exploration.