Chapter 39

Kamso

"Ij, Chisom just called me right now. She's getting married? When did that one happen?"

"She didn't tell you?"

"No. What happened, don't tell me she's pregnant." I said sitting down with the pillow placed between my legs.

"Well, when he proposed, he said he wanted to marry her the next day if she was willing. She thought he was joking. Seriously, who plans a wedding in a month. But I'm happy for her though."

"Wow. So bridesmaids things on point na.

"How is Ik?"

"He's fine. The yeye man is being sent on a mission Kamso, this was why I didn't want a military man, in the first place."

"Eyaaaa. How are you Ij? Don't tell me you're worrying too much girlfriend."

"I'm not. At least I'm trying not to, I'm keeping busy with wedding plans. Trying to keep my mind off the fact that I could get one kind news one day that he's no more."

"Ijeoma. Biko don't say such things. Ikechukwu is going to return, enough of that though no need to dwell on the negative. Have you seen Amanda recently? I can't believe I've lost contact with most of the girls."

"How will you not lose contacts when you're
all about Mike. You're not even active on our group chat. Anyway, Amanda traveled outside the country for her masters. How Could you not know that?" She said and I winced. Okay I'm not the most active on social media.

"Eyaa. I'm happy for her. I feel ashamed not knowing that and for being surprised when Chisom
called earlier to invite me to her

"It's ok shaa. So how is this boy that is the centre of your world." I smiled once she mentioned Mike. I lay on my back with the pillow still between my legs hugging the teddy bear Mike bought for me.

"Well Kamso? I'm very sure you're grinning like a Cheshire cat right now." Well what can I say, my bestie understands me.

"Please do not ask me about Mike."

"Why? I hope everything is fine."

"It is. Just that if I start to think about him right now, I might as well end our call here because I would totally zone out." I heard Ij whistle in the background and chuckle a bit.

"8 years now and you haven't changed Chikamso. You've really got it that bad?"

"Yeah. So bad and it's getting worse by the day. He..." I let my mind wander a bit to my fiancé and I was lost. I squeezed my eyes shut and bit my lower lip to prevent me from smiling too much.

"Kamso. Are you still there?"

"Erm..yeah. Mike is fine." Sitting up and chiding myself to get a grip.

"I understand. And his mum? How is she
treating you?"

"Real fine. I think she's accepted me Ij." She squealed and asked me to tell her how it went, so I went ahead telling her everything,

"Ij let's talk later. Mum wants to see me."I stood up and went to the sitting room and my mum stood there with her night bag.

"Ok na. Greet mummy for me Kamso. Love you, Mwah."

"I will. Love you too bestie, talk to you later" When I ended the call, I turned to my mum with my eyebrows raised in question.

"Mum what's going on? Where are you going this evening?"

"Your aunt Nnonye is sick, so I want to go and visit her." I laughed in unbelief and glanced at the wall clock.